Helpful ReplySONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2017/08/03 15:25:39 (permalink)

SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available!

How to Download the SONAR 2017.07 Update

1. Open Cakewalk Command Center. If you don’t have the latest installer, Command Center will prompt you to download and install it. Cakewalk highly recommends that you do this. (Also remember that you can always download the latest version from the Cakewalk Command Center page.)
  2. Update SONAR Core by selecting SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist, then clicking Install.
  3. Update SONAR Local Documentation by selecting it, then clicking Install

Recently Used Plug-ins

Artist, Professional, and Platinum

SONAR now keeps track of the last 5 Audio FX and Soft Synths. You can find these in the insert menus for Audio FX and Soft Synths as well as the Add Track Flyout on the Instruments tab. This works seamlessly with any plug-in layout and allows for quick access to the plug-ins you recently used without diving through a lot of menus or searching.

Bus Pane Aim Assist

Aim Assist has always been available in the Track view but not available in its Bus pane. We recently made Aim Assist available in the Piano Roll View's Controller Pane so that controller data could line up easily with notes. Now by extending Aim Assist into the Bus Pane, it's easy to line up Bus Pane automation with automation or clips in Track View..

MIDI Ripple Editing Improvements

Compared to audio data, Ripple Editing is much more complex with MIDI data—but with the 2017.07 release, MIDI data joins the ripple editing club. Just remember one of the cardinal rules of ripple editing: turn it on before doing the edit (choose Options > Ripple Edit Selection or Options > Ripple Edit All), and turn it off after the edit so you don’t move clips around inadvertently.
For examples of how ripple editing affects MIDI notes with Ripple All selected, view this month's Tech+Music publication!

Clip Edit Speed Improvements

In projects with thousands of clips, SONAR’s performance can become slower if the machine can’t handle the amount of graphics being displayed. Starting with this update, users can perform tasks like split multiple clips at transients, or copy and paste loops hundreds of times, and continue to work in the project without interruptions. These improvements also affect operations such as split, move, undo, redo, ripple edit, as well as zooming and scrolling in projects with many crossfades. Undo of splitting AudioSnap beats is also much faster, and memory usage has been reduced by 75%.
The benchmarks to the right compare differences between the 2017.06 and 2017.07 releases when doing operations with a  project that contains 15,941 events (see below).

30th Anniversary Rapture Expansion Pack

Cakewalk’s 30th Anniversary continues with more freebies! This month, it’s time to freshen up Rapture Pro and Rapture Session with 30 exciting new sounds.
Learn More

Tech+Music

This month's issue covers the latest SONAR 2017.07 update, Clip Edit Speed and MIDI Ripple Editing improvements, reviews the SampleTekk Classic Grand Piano and Digital Sound Factory B3 Tone Wheel Organ expansion packs for Rapture, and finally brings you expert tips for creating your own DIY Sampled Piano Mods, Understanding Loop Construction, and Mixing and Mastering.
Read it Now

Fixes and Enhancements

EA Fixes

• Aim Assist would not display properly when the Track View was floating
  • Aim Assist would not display properly under certain conditions in Windows 7
  • MIDI Ripple Edit created an empty clip in some situations
  • MIDI Ripple Edit didn't trim the start of clips as expected in some situations
  • Waveforms would disappear when zooming into a project
  • New Clip Selection Groups were not created properly when comping
  • Resolved an issue where occasional velocity jumps would occur in the Controller pane

General

• Using SONAR with a 64-sample buffer size could cause issues when 64-bit Double Precision was enabled. This was discovered using the Adaptive Limiter but could affect any plug-in.
  • Track View, Track View In-line Piano Roll, and Piano Roll View now have consistent behavior when thinning grid lines during zooming in and out
  • Resolved a possible crash when using two-finger scrolling on the track pad
  • Editing operations in large projects are now 10x faster. This affects Split, Move, Undo, Redo, and Ripple Editing
  • Zooming and scrolling in projects with many clips and crossfades is now more responsive

AudioSnap

• Using AudioSnap to Split Beats could previously cause SONAR to become unresponsive when trying to display all the split clips
  • Memory usage with AudioSnap has been reduced by 75% when using it to Split Beats without editing the transient markers

Browser

• Dragging plug-ins from the Plug-in Browser would previously collapses folders after inserting the plug-in into the project

Ripple Editing

• MIDI events will now be shortened or lengthened when Ripple Editing if the end of a note is selected or the selection is in the middle of a note. This prevents notes from getting deleted or truncated unexpectedly in some situations during a ripple edit
  • MIDI clips are no longer split in some situations. This is to help preserve clips that contain long notes.

Snap Module

• Disabling Snap previously created problems with showing triplets and dotted settings, These buttons will now stay lit to better indicate what Grid Lines are being displayed when Snap is Off
  • Snap settings could previously become changed unexpectedly if they were altered when Snap was Off
  • The Control Bar’s Smart Grid option is no longer disabled on cancel out of the menu

Staff View

• Arrow keys now change track selection in the Track Pane of the Staff View

Step Sequencer

• Click + Dragging in Step Sequencer could cause SONAR UI to stop updating momentarily until mouse up

Track View

• Aim Assist now feels more responsive and moves smoothly in the Track View
  • Resolved an issue where Copy & Paste with lanes closed could result in overlaps on the same lane
  • Track View Grid wouldn’t update after changing the snap settings
  • Track View wouldn’t always follow (non-smart) grid line settings in the Snap Control Bar module
  • The Time Ruler no longer shows additional ticks when set to Smart Grid.This now displays the only the Beat markers.
  • The Track View In-line Piano Roll didn’t follow snap setting in some situations
post edited by Jon Sasor [Cakewalk] - 2017/08/03 18:34:49

Lance Riley
Product Manager
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 15:36:53 (permalink)
Local Documentation hasn't been changed. Is this coming later? 

Is the Tech Magazine downloadable?

Danny
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 15:42:35 (permalink)
1. ????
2. Yes you need to login to your issue account

Thanks Cakewalk

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 15:57:29 (permalink)
Hi. If you open the Tech+Music from http://www.cakewalk.com/30th 
there is a download arrow at the top left corner, from where you can download the Ezine.
All the best.
Edited, as I can't tell left from right 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 16:48:20 (permalink)
A big thanks to Craig for mastering my song for inclusion in this month's Tech + Music ezine. If anyone wants to hear the full mastered song, it's here:

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders/roasting-on-the-stones-craig-anderton-master
Taurean Mixing
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 16:55:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/08/03 21:25:11
You guys should include the mouse pointer issue is also resolved in this update 

Bob
taureanonlinemixing.com
Sonar Platinum x64
3930K (ADK) Win 7 x64
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:10:52 (permalink)
Wookiee
1. ????

Thanks Cakewalk

1. Update SONAR Local Documentation by selecting it, then clicking Install  
  2. In CCC no update for Local Documentation.
  3. See 1.
splinetime
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:13:29 (permalink)
Tried to update. Command Center showing "you don't have any products" I have a good internet connection,
tried signing out/in. reinstall CCC. My account at Cakewalk shows products....
Anyone else have this issue?

Kevin L

Win 10 Pro 64
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:23:24 (permalink)
splinetime
Tried to update. Command Center showing "you don't have any products" I have a good internet connection,
tried signing out/in. reinstall CCC. My account at Cakewalk shows products....
Anyone else have this issue?

Kevin L

Yes I did.  First time for a problem.  Just click on the connected products links at the top to refresh the view.  It took a couple of times, but is OK now.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:34:11 (permalink)
I had the same issue - a bit scary.  But a second go went ok.  Odd.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:45:09 (permalink)
Happened here as well after finishing the build 37 update.

Closing CC and re-opening and all is well. Update was successful and CC appears to be back to normal.

It had a hard time checkng for updates on the first run and this just after doing the redeem for the 30 rapture patches which are nformed me it would soon be available in my products foldr...

Maybe the system was a bit overloaded with demands as the updates were being placed online?

I got the patches a few more minutes later...

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 17:47:39 (permalink)
cowboydan
Wookiee
1. ????

Thanks Cakewalk

1. Update SONAR Local Documentation by selecting it, then clicking Install  
  2. In CCC no update for Local Documentation.
  3. See 1.

I was trying to answer both your questions.

Question 1. I have know idea if the local documentation has been updated. i.e. ????

Question 2. You need to login to your issuu account, but my furry paws missed typed the name. i.e. issue

So I think your circular reply is somewhat miss placed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 20:13:12 (permalink)
Local Documentation for this release is also now available. Enjoy!

Lance Riley
Product Manager
DigitalArchivist
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 20:15:00 (permalink)
I had the same problem with the Command Center saying there were no products registered to my account. That's never happened before. Logging out and back in cleared that up. When I attempted to install the 2017.17 update I got a big surprise. The Command Center was unable to install C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilies\Vstscan.exe.

The error message referenced "MoveFile failed; Code 183 Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

So I then proceeded to my Cakewalk account and downloaded the three files that needed updating according to the Command Center. The main SONAR installation file I downloaded this morning is SONAR_Platinum_Setup_23.7.0.37(Rebuild_1).exe. I ran the program as Administrator. In addition to the Vstscan.exe, that same error also occurred with BitBridge.exe, which is under the same path, and DatabaseUpdater.exe, which is at C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database\Updater\DatabaseUpdater.exe

I clicked on Ignore in each instance to continue the installation. There were no other errors other than those three.

When I started SONAR it eventually gave me this error message "Database Update Failed. The database update utility failed to run. Please verify that SONAR is installed correctly."

I'll be submitting a report to SONAR Support and hope to get a reply soon.
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 20:28:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DigitalArchivist 2017/08/03 21:04:24
DigitalArchivist
I had the same problem with the Command Center saying there were no products registered to my account. That's never happened before. Logging out and back in cleared that up. When I attempted to install the 2017.17 update I got a big surprise. The Command Center was unable to install C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilies\Vstscan.exe.

The error message referenced "MoveFile failed; Code 183 Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

So I then proceeded to my Cakewalk account and downloaded the three files that needed updating according to the Command Center. The main SONAR installation file I downloaded this morning is SONAR_Platinum_Setup_23.7.0.37(Rebuild_1).exe. I ran the program as Administrator. In addition to the Vstscan.exe, that same error also occurred with BitBridge.exe, which is under the same path, and DatabaseUpdater.exe, which is at C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database\Updater\DatabaseUpdater.exe

I clicked on Ignore in each instance to continue the installation. There were no other errors other than those three.

When I started SONAR it eventually gave me this error message "Database Update Failed. The database update utility failed to run. Please verify that SONAR is installed correctly."

I'll be submitting a report to SONAR Support and hope to get a reply soon.

Seems like the installer is having a problem writing files for some reason. Make sure you have SONAR closed that SONAR and VST Scanner.exe are not running in task manager. I'd also do a system restart and then back up your shared utilities to the desktop and retry the installation?

You may also have Windows updates that are trying to be installed and blocking us from installing properly. You may need to run Windows update and restart the machine until Windows is done with updates.

Lance Riley
Product Manager
DigitalArchivist
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 21:07:35 (permalink)
Thanks very much for your quick reply Lance. I did not have SONAR running prior to the install as I'd anticipated downloading and installing it. I'll try a restart backing up the shared utilities to my desktop and retrying a manual install. When you say backup, do you mean moving it completely to my desktop? There are and were no Windows updates underway. I am curious though as to why those three specific files were having an issue. Is it because they are executables?

Thanks again for your help.
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 22:44:21 (permalink)
Not being picky but the clip edit speed improvements text references 2016.06 and 2016.17 and the figures in the chart reference 2017.06 and 2017.07.
Same in the eZine

post edited by gustabo - 2017/08/04 10:31:39

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

DigitalArchivist
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 23:41:57 (permalink)
Lance: I was able to get SONAR up and running with your suggestions. Ran into another problem though in that my McAfee Internet Security (supplied as a free, limited-feature version by my ISP) has now identified BitBridge.exe as a threat and quarantined it. Unfortunately, having learned this when McAfee decided to quarantine the .exe of a video gaming program, there's no way, short of switching to a different Internet security program, for me to undo what McAfee has done.

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 23:42:17 (permalink)
Got a weird behaviour here.

If I right click on an effects bin, the menu item at the top is "Insert Audio Effect..." rather than "Insert Audio Effect >". I have to click on it to get the cascading menu; it doesn't automatically appear when highlighting the menu item.

Anyone else seeing this?

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/03 23:55:49 (permalink)
I'll wait until I know what actually improvements are installed. I read the initial post, so I will again when I am not so tired.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
splinetime
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 00:03:42 (permalink)
Update. I finally got the normal update behavior. I think it may have been a server side issue :)

Win 10 Pro 64
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
gustabo
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 00:09:27 (permalink)
DigitalArchivist
Lance: I was able to get SONAR up and running with your suggestions. Ran into another problem though in that my McAfee Internet Security (supplied as a free, limited-feature version by my ISP) has now identified BitBridge.exe as a threat and quarantined it. Unfortunately, having learned this when McAfee decided to quarantine the .exe of a video gaming program, there's no way, short of switching to a different Internet security program, for me to undo what McAfee has done.

Dump McAfee and reinstall the update to get BitBridge back.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad

gustabo
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 00:10:57 (permalink)
John T

If I right click on an effects bin, the menu item at the top is "Insert Audio Effect..." rather than "Insert Audio Effect >". I have to click on it to get the cascading menu; it doesn't automatically appear when highlighting the menu item.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm not

gokidsmusic
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 01:35:41 (permalink)
John T

I've been seeing this for quite a while. 
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 09:00:23 (permalink)
How does one access the "Aim Assist" function?  IOW - where is it?

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Syphus
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 09:30:10 (permalink)
Go to the "Edit" menu.  There is an item to turn it on/off

The Tech Music mag says "X" will also turn it on/off.  Tried it and it is working. There is also info for changing color i believe.

Syphus
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 09:37:42 (permalink)
gustabo
DigitalArchivist

Dump McAfee and reinstall the update to get BitBridge back.

+1  - Careful with any antivirus, however McAfee is the worst. Especially on a DAW. An obtrusive, resource heavy software bully.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 14:23:32 (permalink)
gustabo
Not being picky but the clip edit speed improvements text references 2016.06 and 2016.17 and the figures in the chart reference 2017.06 and 2017.07.
Same in the eZine

Thanks for the edit. Should be fixed now.

Lance Riley
Product Manager
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 14:26:00 (permalink)
DigitalArchivist

Here is a link that might help. I've never used McAfee but it seems like it is possible to mark files as trusted if they are incorrectly recognized as something else.

http://itstillworks.com/add-exceptions-mcafee-29665.html

Lance Riley
Product Manager
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
Re: SONAR 2017.07 Update Now Available! 2017/08/04 14:34:36 (permalink)
John T

Anyone else seeing this?

This happens when you have more plug-ins than can display in a traditional windows menu. We have to create a new menu so that no scanned plug-ins are truncated from the list. This is currently intended behavior so that we can display all the many plug-ins on some systems. Previously there was a limit to the number we could display. At the time, this was the only work around. I believe this limit is approximately 1000. If you create a layout with less than 1000 entries the menu will no longer create a new menu when navigating into the audio FX.

Lance Riley
Product Manager
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1