SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122

Author
xlii
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/05/07 02:39:20 (permalink)

SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122

Hello all...

I'm using Sonar 4 Producer with a tascam US-122 USB sound card (maybe my first mistake) and it keeps on skipping when I playback my projects.

I'm using a DELL 1150 2.8Ghz P4, 1024Ram, 60G HD WinXP Laptop as well as Edirol PCR-30 Midi Keyboard.

When I start the project it seems to work fine as long as I'm running not more than 4 Audio Tracks with only a couple of Effects on (mostly Waves), but then if I insert 1 or 2 DXi synths (especially NI Battery), it starts skipping... It's not too serious, just minor glitches really, but the more tracks I use the heavier it gets. I refuse to believe it's the hardware, because the CPU Usage never goes above 30% and HD Usage above 5%, and when I use RAM Analysis Soft it shows (on average) 700mb of free RAM!

Right now, I'm on this particular project with 10 tracks, 8 Audio and 2 DXi Midi (Battery and MDA Piano), running about 9 effects and trying to play the project is like trying to drive a Ferrari on Kazakhstan motorways (there aren't any, just in case you wondered).

I'm using WDM Drivers, the latest ones available, tweaked my I/O from 64 to 16, then 128, then 32, which seemed to work better. Then latency to 23ms with 4 buffers queved, making it 69ms altogether. I keep my US-122 set at 512ms (it works perfectly fine that way when I do shows usin Ableton Live 4.1) neither does it skip with Sound Forge 7...

But when it comes to SONAR 4, even changing track volume makes it skip... So, when you are mixing your project in panel view, every time you touch the fader, it skips... Mind you, it skips even when you don't touch it.

SO>>>>>

IF ANYONE IS USING A US-122 and IT WORKS PERFECTLY, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could PLEASE let me know your SETTINGS or just ANY advice is WELCOME!
Thank you.

xlii

xlii

20 Replies Related Threads

MrSmiff
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/07 09:05:32 (permalink)
    Hey xlii! I feel you man! I have an 1150 -tascam us122 rig myself and I could not record one clean track without skips even though it played back old projects fine. Just be careful of a knee-jerk reaction. Try these first...The tascam us122 requires a windows messenger update from microsoft called (windows messenger update -to enhance audio playback). If you have SP2 installed you should already have it. Next I swtched audio driver from wdm/ks to asio at the drivers tab and so far it eliminated the skip.And you'll have reset you soundcard after you change drivers. I also have the buffer in the us 122 set at 256 for quick midi response 5.8 ms latency.The buffer in my Sonar 3SE audio tab is set at 4 (the default being 2) With these settings my rig is pretty stable except for one other problem...Whenever I connect the charging cable to an outlet to power the 1150 and connect the usb 122 to a power amp or mixer I get a hum noise throughout the system but on battery power (which isn't long) everything is fine.I have not tried seperate power circuits yet. I'm working that problem this weekend so if there is a solution I'll holla back. Man...I really hope this helps. And BTW I haven't upgraded the mem still running 256 with no glitches, but I will...Soon! If this works for you...You might actually like that soundcard!
    Tomcat
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/07 12:27:07 (permalink)
    I'm using a US-122 with Sonar 4 PE on a Sony VAIO laptop with a 2.66 gig P4 and 1 gig ram and I have also set the latency to 5.8 ms. I have no problem with skipping during play BUT I had to go into the preferences and set the PLAYBACK buffer to 3000 ms (ie, 3 seconds). I learned about that from a post here when I went searching for help about playback skipping, clicks and pops, etc.

I'm mostly using softsyths (GPO) setup inside an audio track as an FX and then with up to 8 midi tracks per instance of the Kontact Player that GPO uses. I also use Gigastudio with no problems.

HTH,
    Tom

Sonar 4PE & 5PE, Athlon 64 dual core 4400+, 4 gigs ram, 1x80 gig OS HD, 1x80 gig Project HD, 1x300 gig Storage/Sample HD, 1x250 gig external archive HD, Korg Trinity V3, Yamaha Tyros I, Roland Fantom XR module with all 6 SRX card slots filled
    MrSmiff
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/07 14:40:39 (permalink)
    Hello xlii! The solution to my hum problem discussed earlier when I connect us-122 to a power amp or mixer while the laptop is running on ac juice is eliminated by using a 2 to 3 prong ac adapter for the laptop plug (with a surge protector of course). All of $0.75!! Now everything is running like clockwork!!! I really suggest with your Dell Inspiron 1150 like mine to try the asio driver (all of 30 seconds!) before time spent on buffer settings and if all works fine and you're tired of seing that (sigma tel audio prompt) you can disable it in the hardware manager. All The Best!! Pat
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/07 21:24:47 (permalink)

I'm using WDM Drivers, the latest ones available, tweaked my I/O from 64 to 16, then 128, then 32,

I don't know if you've already tried this or not, but you MUST run the wave profiler again after making any adjustments to buffer sizes in your card's control panel.

Bottomfeeder
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/07 23:36:35 (permalink)
    I would suggest using ASIO drivers.

Sonar 8 PE
    Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 1GB RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Tascam US-428, US-122, US-144
    Audio Technica AT2020
    Reason 4.0
    Sound Forge 8.0
    Waves Diamond Bundle w/ SSL Plugs Wow!
    Tomcat
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/08 10:01:46 (permalink)
    Well, on my Sony laptop with the US-122, the WDM drivers work best and give me a latency of 5.8 ms, which is certainly low enough for me.

Tom

Sonar 4PE & 5PE, Athlon 64 dual core 4400+, 4 gigs ram, 1x80 gig OS HD, 1x80 gig Project HD, 1x300 gig Storage/Sample HD, 1x250 gig external archive HD, Korg Trinity V3, Yamaha Tyros I, Roland Fantom XR module with all 6 SRX card slots filled
    xlii
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/10 00:51:40 (permalink)
    Thanks all of you guys!

I've tried each single one of your advices and it seemed to have worked... or... maybe not.

I tried ASIO and then WDM and then ASIO again. Funny thing, I select the ASIO drive, and it runs alright, but still skips every now and then. So I select WDM, re-run the program and it runs like clockwork. What I do is leave the soundcard preferences on 512, but bring it down to 256 in Sonar preferences... So I listen to my most troublesome project on 5.8ms without a single skip while running an antivirus scan and browsing the net...

But THEN....>>>> (here's the biggest bummer of all), next time I run the program again, it's like... Undescribable... Can't hear anything, just clicks jackhammering their way through my monitors, across the room, through my cerebellum, banging some digi-tribal patterns on my eardrums... That's where the realisation comes and I struggle to contain the aforementioned knee-jerk reaction which Mr. Smiff warned me about. Thanks!

Thanks all you guys for all your advices and everything, it was helpful in general, nevertheless, I'm now wondering which one will have to go first: Sonar or US-122. Maybe both? Perhaps it's back to good old Logic 5.5 or Cubase SX.

xlii
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/10 01:08:04 (permalink)
    while running an antivirus scan and browsing the net...

That could be part of your troubles there. Many of us keep our DAWs off of the internet and don't install antivirus, software firewalls, etc for exactly the kinds of reasons you're describing.

You might consider having either a dedicated DAW or Windows installed in a seperate partition from your everyday stuff, and dedicate it strictly for audio.

diggerbarnz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 311
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/10 23:21:53 (permalink)
    Dunno where you guys were when I asked the same question 2 weeks ago! I tried everything - except the windows messenger update mentioned , but I already had SP2...anyhow, tried out the firewire solo & ended up w/an edirol UA25 as per 1 users suggested - both worked perfect, But I liked the pre's in edirol better plus it had the midi for $20 more. Hope your rockin now

LAPTOP -Pavilion G6 -Quad core - Acoustics -  Takamine ,1948 Martin - Variax 59 & 69-HD500 - PodHD500 - Bose L1 Model II w2 bass bins - T1 Mixer - Voicelive 3

MrSmiff
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/11 08:13:18 (permalink)
    Hey xlii! Before you give up on Sonar, you might try uninstalling Sonar and clean your system with Spy-Bot or some other spyware/ adware utility or maybe a fresh copy of XP altogether, defrag it and reinstall Sonar. I'm running the Dell Inspiron 1150 2.4gh cel, 256mb ram will upgrade, Sonar 3 SE and using the Tascam US-122 interface and no antivirus and it runs very well after the fixes I've done! I run a 200gb external 2.0 drive for my audio drive.SP2 is even on the laptop because I needed drivers and had trouble installing them seprately so I reinstalled service pack 2 and it's still like clockwork!! After reinstallation the only buffer changes I made was 1 the buffer setting in the US-122 down to 256 in control panel in order to obtain 5.8 ms of latency and 2 the buffer on the audio tab from 2(default) to 4 cause I get more stability with this unit and the desktop. Then I changed the audio drivers to MME for signa tel audio (laptop headphone jack), or WDM/KS Or Asio for the Tascam. and in either case make sure you select which and run the wave profiler. When you get setup test your system. Mine played all previous projects well but when it came time record a live set it all went to sh-t!!! It recorded with stutter and glitches like a cd skipping so we have to do it all over! Arrgghh! So through all the headaches all I needed to do was change the driver! If any problems are experienced always start with this forum and if changes are made always note them so you can go back. One thing can quickly become ten or a hundred! This is the best forum I have ever seen!! Man I know your rig can run better with your Sonar setup. All the Best!! Pat
    Tomcat
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/11 10:20:14 (permalink)
    Yea I don't have any antivirus software running on my laptop DAW unless I'm actually on line to get an update or driver or I really need to update something critical. Also, I had to go into preferences and set the PLAYBACK (not the I/O) buffer to 3000 ms (3 sec) which I found out about from a post here on the forum when I did a search on clicks, pops, etc. which I was having a problem with when using the original default settings. Now it all works very well.

Tom

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/11 23:31:55 (permalink)
    I have never had a problem with the tascam us-122 -- runs fine for me -- i record with the aiso drivers and mix with my windows default crap drivers -- and I never have problems(knock on wood) -- and i hear some people say us-122 is "blah" and everyone hates the facory window audio driver AC97 --- but both have never given me any trouble what so ever ....and top it all off I have an emachine celeron processor 2.55 ghz 1 gig of ram.......... still no problems -- some drop outs if i have a million fx's -- but i expect that

my settings --latency is 90.2 and buffers at 2..............audio driver bit 16 (shrugs) if that helps -- like i said i always reord in aiso and mix ac97 --- what gives with all thses problems everyone has with them?

I love sonar 4 pro and my crappy emachine -- there would be no stopping me if I ever buy a super daw -- lol

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

dudemanjch
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/11 23:35:44 (permalink)
    yea, i had same problems, but switched over to ASIO, no problems.

im running about 18 tracks of audio, 3 - 4 DXi synths (3 amp sims, 1 reason rewire)

works great in ASIO
    xlii
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/05/12 01:40:46 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!

Yeeah, I don't know... People tell me that I should get rid of Antivirus. But actually, the thing is, I use this PC for inet as well and everytime, after I finished browsing, I scan it with Ad-aware SE Pro, then Spy-bot, then clean all rubbish out with System Mechanic 5, then do a quick scan with Avast AV, and a full system scan every 2 days. Then I restart and in Task Manager kill all the unnecessary running processes (AV, stupid Real player, etc.). THEN I start making my beats.

I'm really starting to suspect that the whole problem could be in me using too many plug-ins... I have over 100 soft-synths installed, over 300 different effects. Some have comapatability problems... Like, I was using Steinberg voice designer yesterday and kept on getting 80% CPU thing and Dropouts, so I started tweaking buffers and all, butu nothing helped. Finally, I just deleted the track with Voice Designer in it and CPU went down to 20% again!

I'm also having some severe problems with Battery, sometimes it crashes Sonar on startup.

Reinstalling XP is an option (a good one, since the Windows folder is over 3Gs now), but that would also mean potential reinstalls for all effects, soft synths etc. A lot of which are real-time in my tracks which would mean that I'd have to reshape my projects again (I have about 20 of them)...

I guess I'll try reinstalling SP2 and Sonar...

Anyway, thank you guys.

If I find some new useful tweaks I'll let you know.

xlii

xlii
    Vitotime
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/11 12:55:31 (permalink)
    Hi folks,

I came across this post while doing a search in Google. I've been using Cakewalk since 1995 and like it a lot. I've had Sonar 3 and now I am on version 4. I am experiencing the same latency issue you all described, but I am not using any midi or Tascam machines. I am plugging into the Audigy II ZS external sound card and recording audio. I make simple demos and then send them to a demo service to have a full production. I don't have the space to accommodate studio equipment. Well, Cakewalk's Tech Support advised that I had to reload the drivers from Creative. Then, delete the AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI This was supposed to eliminate the dropouts and stuttering. I uninstalled the sound drivers and reloaded them. Somehow my XP Pro thought I had two sound cards instead of 1. I followed the steps on deleting the two files, and when I double-clicked on the Sonar Icon, I received a message that said something about missing files and I had to install the software again. I wanted a clean start and so I formatted and re-installed XP Pro on 06/08/05. I thought it was best to start clean. I downloaded all my drivers soon after installing XP Pro, including installing the sound drivers from the CD and also downloaded the updated drivers from Creative's website. I installed the critical XP updates on 06/09/05 including SP2. Then I installed Sonar 4 Producer on 06/10/05. After I installed version 4 from the CD I downloaded the updates for 4.01 and then 4.02 I did a test recording of the 3:49 I mentioned above, and upon play back, the song played without a stutter. However, the song dropped off a segment all the way at the end. Even though I recorded the full song and visually I saw the clock at 3:49, upon playback, Sonar stopped at about 3:30. It ignored the fact I recorded the entire song. So, I followed Easy Method number 1 from Cakewalk's website and recorded the song all over again. This time, the song played until the end, but it stuttered throughout from beginning to end. When this occurred last week, I thought maybe it was my Norton AV that caused this, so I purposely did not install Norton. I sent an E-mail to Tech Support again to see what else they may have me try. I see on their website that the Advanced Method has a fix by opening up the AUD.INI file in Notepad to delete some lines. I had a Teach Support rep walk me through this over the phone last November and the fix he had me do was Easy Method 1. That worked at that time. It's hard for me to call them as I work during the day. I was on vacation in November and had a few minutes to call in. I don't know what else to do or what else to try. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Vito
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/11 16:16:55 (permalink)
    You need to ask this again, in a dedicated new thread with an appropriate title.... there are people using the Creative cards successfully, and if they see your question they'll probably give you a hand. but they'll never see it buried in this thread (about a different sound card)

Greybeard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/11 19:27:38 (permalink)
    For what it's worth: My first audio interface was a Tascam US-122. I was using it with a high-end Dell PC--fast P4 processor, lots of RAM, WinXP Pro, SP2. I had the same sort of problems that you're experiencing. Sometimes the thing worked flawlessly; sometimes it farted and burped constantly, with no predictable pattern. It was unbelievably frustrating. To sort it out, I tried all the tweaks prescribed here thorugh this wonderful forum, to no effect. When I checked out the Tascam forum for the US 122, I learned that there were LOTS of unhappy 122 owners out there with the same problems. The consensus, as I recall, was that the damn thing just wouldn't work reliably under XP SP2. Tascam's drivers for XP were crap, and they weren't quick to write better ones. One prescibed fix was to uninstall both SP1 and SP2. That seemed a lot like heating my house by burning my furniture on the living room floor, so I returned my US-122 and traded it in on an Edirol UA-25, which has performed flawlessly for me.

Hope you sort things out.
    Vitotime
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/12 12:46:35 (permalink)
    Hi GreyBeard,

I was thinking that maybe the SP2 was causing my issue, but I am not sure. In your opinion, do you think I should run the Microsoft SP2 patch that Cakewalk has posted on their website? I read the release notes on it, but it didn't mention anything about addressing the issues with dropouts or stuttering.

Thanks,
    Vito
    stephenlnoe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/12 13:45:41 (permalink)
    If you can get the US-122 to work then more power to you. I tried and tried and tried and then thought, why am I doing this. This shouldn't be this hard to get it working. I ended up with an M-Audio Mobile Pre that worked immediately. I'm not a fan of the tascam 122.

If you're stuck with the Tascam then I wish you good luck. If you can at all take it back for a better alternative.

take care...
    Greybeard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: SONAR 4 With Tascam US-122 2005/06/12 15:19:16 (permalink)
    Give it a shot, if you've got the time and patience for it. If it works for you, great. There are lots of people out there who use the US-122 and don't have problems. But there are lots of us who have dug to the bottom of the barrel of alleged "fixes" for this piece of hardware and have found nothing that delivers reliable, glitch-free service. People who know a lot more about this than I do think that their drivers for Windows XP are suspect.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1