SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Author
AdamFH
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 930
2008/12/29 17:23:46 (permalink)

SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Alright, so SONAR is acting silly again.

Issue this time:

ASIO Drivers cause Cakewalk to open a project in about 20 seconds after selecting one, and MIDI lag, and a bunch of other stuff. Doesn't have anything to do with my latency options, because I've checked. (this has never happened when I used the ASIO drivers a few days ago)

And when I got tired of the problem, and switched to WDM, I started getting constant audio dropouts, and crashes. SONAR has crashed thrice today! Not sure what's up with this--anyone mind helping me?

Specs:

Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2.41 GHz
1.87 GB of RAM

US-144 MIDI/AUDIO Interface, max is 96kHz, 24-bit.
AT2020 mic (back to using that)
M-Audio Keystation 49e keyboard

Project specs are 96kHz, 24-bit.

Can anyone help me please?
post edited by AdamFH - 2008/12/29 17:28:01

18 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 17:34:39 (permalink)
    Your pc can only handle so much. A dual or quad core pc will handle a bigger load.
    And when I got tired of the problem, and switched to WDM, I started getting constant audio dropouts, and crashes. SONAR has crashed thrice today! Not sure what's up with this--anyone mind helping me?

What latency. up the latency. Does your sound card have good WDM drivers?? Maybe you should be using ASIO at a lower buffer if its too much of a lag or maybe what i said above is what you need to do.
    If its a new project, then you configured it wrong.
    If its a project with stuff in it (you never did say?) then maybe thats all your pc can handle
    Whats in this project???? It matters what you have in it Adam. List everything in the project. Maybe freeze some tracks. You know what you need to do and list
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    AdamFH
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 17:39:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Your pc can only handle so much. A dual or quad core pc will handle a bigger load.

What latency. up the latency. Does your sound card have good WDM drivers?? Maybe you should be using ASIO at a lower buffer if its too much of a lag or maybe what i said above is what you need to do.
    If its a new project, then you configured it wrong.
    If its a project with stuff in it (you never did say?) then maybe thats all your pc can handle
    Whats in this project???? It matters what you have in it Adam. List everything in the project. Maybe freeze some tracks. You know what you need to do and list
    Cj

I have a dual core, I should add.

There's around three separate files. I bounce the instrumental track once I think that it's final and import it as a wav, and record vocals over the wav if you catch my drift. Anyway, right now, it's all audio, 4 tracks, one of me bass humming, it's about 20-30 seconds, a vocal introduction track with falsetto, and a lead and background vocal track. That's all. I'll try freezing instead. If that doesn't work out, I'll try lowering the buffers in ASIO, but once again, note that when I do use ASIO, just opening a new blank project will take 20 seconds. I don't even want to know how long it'll take to open one like this. Anyway, standby.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 17:45:34 (permalink)
    I'll try lowering the buffers in ASIO, but once again, note that when I do use ASIO, just opening a new blank project will take 20 seconds. I don't even want to know how long it'll take to open one like this. Anyway, standby.

whats it doing?? VST scan??? disable it, if its scanning. It maybe< that your pc needs to have some cleaning sdone to it and a defrag> my blank projects open instantaniously
    cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    AdamFH
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 17:53:32 (permalink)
    Okay, tried everything you said. No luck.

Edit: No, it's not scanning VSTs, it's just being slow, I guess. When cakewalk open's and I press "new project", select a template, the project opens, and then Cakewalk freezes for a while. Same thing happens on playback. It JUST started doing that a few days ago. I don't know what's up with it.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll try defragging it. Expect an update in a few hours, but anyway, if anyone else has had this problem, and has found a solution to it, by all means, please, post here.
    post edited by AdamFH - 2008/12/29 17:58:45
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 21:34:44 (permalink)

takes a big rig to handle this. And you won't be able to get it out of a crowded USB buss.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

AdamFH
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/29 22:32:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

takes a big rig to handle this. And you won't be able to get it out of a crowded USB buss.

Well, naturally, I'm a pimp like that, but hm.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 04:20:50 (permalink)
    YOur processor is about 4 years old so you are at the very minimum requirements for SONAR 8. I'd run my files at 48khz if I was you rather than the disc intensive 96khz.

How do you get 1.87GIG RAM? For true dual channel memory performance you need to have your memory modules in matched pairs.

Why do you have to export your tracks and import them? The whole idea of a multitrack recording DAW is so you odn't need to do that. Just freeze any softsynth track to free up memory and CPU cycles.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    kdkimber
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 07:08:46 (permalink)
    For the delay opening a new file - are you running AVG ?? More often than not I see a delay of up to 20 seconds when opening a file in Sonar 8 Producer [just doing a Ctrl+N to load the default template causes a delay].. I don't see this in Sonar 7 Studio or other applications [like Project 5].. Looking in Task Manager I see avgsx.exe using 100% CPU during this time. The avgsx process is the AVG resident scanner..

I have played around with a few things, adding exceptions to the AVG scanner, but nothing I added seemed to help...

I was thinking of talking to Tech Support on this, because its annoying to say the least. Its not like its machine or driver specific either. I see it on my crappy old laptop which I use for playing with Sonar - that machine is using the on-board audio with MME. My real DAW is a Dell P390 Q6600 machine with an Edirol UA-25. That shows a significant delay too, maybe 5-7 seconds...

I guess the solution is to disable the resident scanner, but that effectively removes any virus protection, so that solution is not on the top of my list !

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 07:13:55 (permalink)
    i guess the 1.87gb ram is 2gb minus 128meg for onboard video - which is a bit pants.

you deffo need to lose the 96khz on that rig.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jnz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 337
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 08:51:49 (permalink)
    4 tracks and you get all these problems, including slow load time? That's definitely NOT caused by lack of computer power! Something else is going on here. The first thing that comes to mind is, as others have pointed out, antivirus software. And also, can you really hear the difference between 44.1 and 96 kHz sample rates?

I'd try the "dropouts and other audio problems" topic of the Sonar help file - although I personally have never found it helpful. I'd also try a google search for optimizing a pc for audio and try the different tweaks you find.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 11:42:14 (permalink)
    I guess the solution is to disable the resident scanner, but that effectively removes any virus protection, so that solution is not on the top of my list !

kdkimber,

First premise: DAW's do not need the internet (except *maybe* to receive updates)
    Second premise: Don't connect you DAW to the internet
    Third premise: If your DAW is not connected to the internet, you do npt need anti-virus running

jnz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 337
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/30 13:43:25 (permalink)
    I have McAfee Security Suite on all the time - that cannot be disabled. I'm always connected to the internet, and I open ie every once in a while... Yet my DAW is rock solid! I do have a powerful system but I'm telling you, something else is going on with his pc. I suggested antivirus software before because it might be performing some sort of scan/authentication before Sonar starts, and hence it takes a while for Sonar to open. However I think the root of his problems lies elsewhere.
    AdamFH
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/31 00:56:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kdkimber

For the delay opening a new file - are you running AVG ?? More often than not I see a delay of up to 20 seconds when opening a file in Sonar 8 Producer [just doing a Ctrl+N to load the default template causes a delay].. I don't see this in Sonar 7 Studio or other applications [like Project 5].. Looking in Task Manager I see avgsx.exe using 100% CPU during this time. The avgsx process is the AVG resident scanner..

I have played around with a few things, adding exceptions to the AVG scanner, but nothing I added seemed to help...

I was thinking of talking to Tech Support on this, because its annoying to say the least. Its not like its machine or driver specific either. I see it on my crappy old laptop which I use for playing with Sonar - that machine is using the on-board audio with MME. My real DAW is a Dell P390 Q6600 machine with an Edirol UA-25. That shows a significant delay too, maybe 5-7 seconds...

No, I don't have any AV on my Makeshift DAW.
    I'll try losing the 96, but the 24bit stays. :P

And I actually completely forgot about freezing. Thanks!
    post edited by AdamFH - 2008/12/31 01:01:15
    CJaysMusic
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2008/12/31 07:21:37 (permalink)
    I dont think the sample rate has anythnig to do with the delay upon oeening your project. Its only openning, not playing, so the sample rate should not matter at that point. right?????
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Bottomfeeder
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2009/06/30 22:34:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AdamFH

Alright, so SONAR is acting silly again.

Issue this time:

ASIO Drivers cause Cakewalk to open a project in about 20 seconds after selecting one, and MIDI lag, and a bunch of other stuff. Doesn't have anything to do with my latency options, because I've checked. (this has never happened when I used the ASIO drivers a few days ago)

Specs:

Windows XP
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2.41 GHz
    1.87 GB of RAM

US-144 MIDI/AUDIO Interface, max is 96kHz, 24-bit.
    AT2020 mic (back to using that)
    M-Audio Keystation 49e keyboard

Can anyone help me please?

I have been having the same issue, the only change to my system was replacing my us-122 with the us-144 because the headphone jack broke. I have been getting the drop outs ever since. I just looked us-144 and freezes and it appears to be a major issue with all the DAW software. I'm gonna hook my 122 back up and see if I get the dropouts. I'll report back.

Sonar 8 PE
    Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 1GB RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Tascam US-428, US-122, US-144
    Audio Technica AT2020
    Reason 4.0
    Sound Forge 8.0
    Waves Diamond Bundle w/ SSL Plugs Wow!
    Bottomfeeder
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE'S M 2009/07/01 01:42:25 (permalink)
    I'm convinced it is an issue with the 144. I plugged my 122 back in and got considerably better performance and no crashes. From what I can tell the issue has been brought to the attention of Tascam and they have yet to address it.

Sonar 8 PE
    Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 1GB RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Tascam US-428, US-122, US-144
    Audio Technica AT2020
    Reason 4.0
    Sound Forge 8.0
    Waves Diamond Bundle w/ SSL Plugs Wow!
    E.I.T.S
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE 2013/04/11 20:42:10 (permalink)
    These dropouts suck ass! I've been having them too. I recently upgraded my speakers. I'm using the crappy realtek sound card that comes with the Windows vista. I have plenty of space on my computer so my guess is it's got to be the sound card but i'm not sure. If anyone can help or has a resolve to this let me know i'll check back.
    E.I.T.S
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: RE: SONAR 8 Constant Dropouts - Freezes and Crashes with WDM Drivers - BUT WAIT, THERE 2013/04/11 21:14:03 (permalink)
    Well...This time I didn't get any dropouts...I recorded just me talking nonsense into the mic for two minutes straight. No static...no pops or skips or any of that crap.
    I then imported a new hip hop instrumental and freestyled over it for a bout thirty seconds...Didn't drop out but I got a ton of pops and skips and they were there when I played it back. I played it back and it dropped out.

I have Windows Vista 64 bit, 4.00GB ram, Inspiron 518
    pentium dual core processor e5300.....I don't know crap about computers other than what i've self taught myself. I'm an artist that has been doing more research on Sonar and computers than I have been creating art lately and thats part of it. Can someone tell me if it's the soundcard not pushing right or do I have a piece of crap computer?:)
    Thank you
    BobbyZ aka Tha Maddsun
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1