SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception

Author
satorizero
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2008/04/28 15:10:00 (permalink)

SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception

Hello. I recieve the following error when i export my song - as well as getting kicked out of Sonar. This error happens on only 2 of the many songs i have and ironically its the 2 that i have spent the most time on to make sound good. I would really like some help because this is detrimental to my business. I have the most up to date Sonar. Its been like this for over a year now.

Error-Unhandled Exception
Module:C\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD\BFDStereoDxi.dll
Exception Code: C0000005
Address:40008534:0012E91C:0012E954

I have a VERY good hunch that it is BFD but keep in mind its only on 2 songs, plus, ive tried all the following troubleshooting, to no avail.

Ive tried:
Disable Fast Bounce
Disable Multiprocessing
Took off ALL plugins on song (even Waves, which suprisingly works PERFECTLY on all my songs)
Tried freezing the drums/Bounced drums to new track.
Tried ASIO drivers (which actually doenst say the error, it just simply kicks me out of Sonar)
Have reinstalled all plugins, including BFD AND Sonar AND Windows on TWO different computers (one is my brand new Quad core)
Have NOT updated BFD (which WORKED! BUT, only for 3 days :-))

p.s. ill update as i go along.
post edited by satorizero - 2008/04/29 14:13:11

28 Replies Related Threads

Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/28 17:08:35 (permalink)
    Well, the problem is definitely BFD. I suggest you bounce to track and unload BFD from the synth rack before exporting. That should work.

HTH
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/28 23:59:51 (permalink)
    Sorry, tried that as well :-/
    Jose7822
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 00:08:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: satorizero

Hmmm....did you check if your RAM decreased when Bouncing to track and unloading BDF from the Synth Rack?
    Hawky
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 01:05:33 (permalink)
    I have had this exact same problem for some time now. I posted this about a few weeks ago and Bitflipper suggested submitting a problem report. So, I submitted a problem report on Sunday complete with screen shots, aud file and system setup. So, we'll see what comes back. This is a project with 96 tracks, all audio. However, I did find a small clip later that had perfect space applied. Not sure if this was the culprit. I try to stay away from perfect space and v-vocal, they seem to always cause some kind of problem.
    post edited by Hawky - 2008/04/29 01:27:11
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 12:25:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jose7822

Hmmm....did you check if your RAM decreased when Bouncing to track and unloading BDF from the Synth Rack?

See, the problem is that i CANT bounce the audio because the error comes up and kicks me out without even bouncing it; it does it after it reaches 100% (99%)
    post edited by satorizero - 2008/04/29 12:44:44
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 12:26:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hawky

I have had this exact same problem for some time now. I posted this about a few weeks ago and Bitflipper suggested submitting a problem report. So, I submitted a problem report on Sunday complete with screen shots, aud file and system setup. So, we'll see what comes back. This is a project with 96 tracks, all audio. However, I did find a small clip later that had perfect space applied. Not sure if this was the culprit. I try to stay away from perfect space and v-vocal, they seem to always cause some kind of problem.

Wow, it kinda feels good to hear im not alone :-). Yeah, PLEASE post up when you recieve an answer, ive tried everything that my five years of recording has taught me :-(
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 12:38:42 (permalink)

Yes, I feel the same! I waited a while before posting because I thought it might be something on my end. However, after building a whole new machine because of the motorboating thing only to find it was not my machine; not again my friend!

HAwky
    Jose7822
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 13:03:30 (permalink)

See, the problem is that i CANT bounce the audio because the error comes up and kicks me out without even bouncing it; it does it after it reaches 100% (99%)

You didn't specify this in your original post (I see you did after editing though). OK, so you can't Export nor Bounce to Track. That just leaves copying/pasting the drum MIDI clip into BFD on an empty project and then exporting/bounce it (if possible) in order to bring it back to the original project. Get rid of the original BFD track before exporting of course.

Maybe it works if you do it from a new/clean project.

HTH

HTH
    Jose7822
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 13:05:23 (permalink)
    P.S. Can you export the project if you get rid of BFD? (not sure if by "removed ALL plugins" you also meant that BFD was removed as well).
    post edited by Jose7822 - 2008/04/29 13:27:32
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 13:45:23 (permalink)

P.S. Can you export the project if you get rid of BFD? (not sure if by "removed ALL plugins" you also meant that BFD was removed as well).

Of course, thats why its not my problem :-)
    KevinD
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/29 14:24:29 (permalink)
    What version of Sonar and what version of BFD are you running? I had wierd crashes with no event viewer errors until I went to

Sonar 6.2.1 and BFD 1.45q

The 1.45q made all the difference, it took awhile to find that one. I think I have it somewhere if needed. Since then, no problems. However, I do not have near the track count you do, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Sonar 6.2.1
    BFD Drums v1.5.45 Q
    Windows XP SP2
    AMD 64 3400+
    2 GB DC RAM 2.0cas
    2x 300 GB SATAIII
    Schecter Basses
    Cold Bud Lights
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 01:07:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KevinD

What version of Sonar and what version of BFD are you running? I had wierd crashes with no event viewer errors until I went to

Sonar 6.2.1 and BFD 1.45q

The 1.45q made all the difference, it took awhile to find that one. I think I have it somewhere if needed. Since then, no problems. However, I do not have near the track count you do, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I am using the most up to date Sonar , 7.0.2 and WAS using the most up to date BFD, until i learne dthat using the original one cured my problem - for three days. And to respond to Jose, i can take bfd to another new project, that WORKS.... BUT, thats a horrible workaround, i wanna be able to mix!
    Jose7822
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 10:39:09 (permalink)

And to respond to Jose, i can take bfd to another new project, that WORKS.... BUT, thats a horrible workaround, i wanna be able to mix!

I know it's not the most efficient way but at least there's a way around it. Plus, you said that this was only happening on two of your projects, so that could mean that something got corrupted in them which is the reason why you're not able to export or bounce them. The only way to completely prove this is to move all your files (Audio & MIDI) and to insert any plugins used (but do not copy/drag them from the original project just in case they are corrupted too) into a new project and see if the problem still exist there. It's a pain but at least you'll have a working project again.

Take care!
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 13:20:56 (permalink)

And to respond to Jose, i can take bfd to another new project, that WORKS.... BUT, thats a horrible workaround, i wanna be able to mix!

I know it's not the most efficient way but at least there's a way around it. Plus, you said that this was only happening on two of your projects, so that could mean that something got corrupted in them which is the reason why you're not able to export or bounce them. The only way to completely prove this is to move all your files (Audio & MIDI) and to insert any plugins used (but do not copy/drag them from the original project just in case they are corrupted too) into a new project and see if the problem still exist there. It's a pain but at least you'll have a working project again.

Take care!

Well, now that you put it that way, youre probally right... Ill actually try doing that, moving audio and midi to a new project and reload plugins and synths. Its just odd to me, if the fact that a project could get corrupted like that. Well, i guess stuff like that can happen in the world of 1's and 0's. Thanx again Jose.

Anyone else feel free to respond as well, this is a workaround but in time id like a definite reason and cure (hint hint cakewalk Admins!).
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 13:23:31 (permalink)
    Okay, but... does anybody know what his error dialog box is really telling him?
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 13:35:58 (permalink)

Nowhere in this thread does it mention that the OP has even contacted Cake Support or BFD Support and filled in the Problem reporter link. Most of this forum won't have a clue what that means apart from the Obvious that BFD is the culprit. It's no good saying Hint Hint someone at Cakewalk might read this thread, it won't happen.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/04/30 14:40:43 (permalink)
    The error is pointing to C\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD\BFDStereoDxi.dll. I don't have BFD, but, is there a VST version that could be used instead? Or is the VST version wrapped and pointing to the same DLL...

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/02 00:38:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Desperate Dan

Nowhere in this thread does it mention that the OP has even contacted Cake Support or BFD Support and filled in the Problem reporter link. Most of this forum won't have a clue what that means apart from the Obvious that BFD is the culprit. It's no good saying Hint Hint someone at Cakewalk might read this thread, it won't happen.

Yes sir, you are correct, i thought however, since Hawky has actually done what you have stated, that it wouldnt be any different if i did the same. Besides, im not registered :-)
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/04 01:56:37 (permalink)

I got word back from SONAR this week about the "Unhandled exception" error report I sent in with error logs, screens shots and a detailed list of where this error was located in the code. The message I got back was there have not been many people complaining about this and it is most likely specific to my computer. He also said I should do a minidump file the next time this happens and send that back. So, of course before I did the minidump thing it happened again.

Sounds like this will take some time to get figured out...

Hawky
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/04 06:13:30 (permalink)

I got word back from SONAR this week about the "Unhandled exception" error report I sent in with error logs, screens shots and a detailed list of where this error was located in the code. The message I got back was there have not been many people complaining about this and it is most likely specific to my computer. He also said I should do a minidump file the next time this happens and send that back. So, of course before I did the minidump thing it happened again.

Sounds like this will take some time to get figured out...

Hawky

Oh god, another one of these companies again......
    It makes me sick, they dont care about the fact it has nothing to do with the computer.....
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/04 10:10:09 (permalink)

Yes, and I reminded him of the following:

1. This did not start until I loaded the latest patch for SONAR 7

2. There are others having this problem, read the forum.

3. The motorboating/ automation issues were like this until more people started complainiing on the forum. These are now fixed but only to be replaced with the "Unhandled Exception Error".

Also, I said that I paid $179.00 in Sept of 2007 for software that I still have trouble with. I should get a free T-Shirt or something... Coffee mug maybe?

I will say this though, this is some what of a PITA but this doesn't even touch the frustration I had with motorboating and the automation issues. That had me upgrading my Cubase to the latest version at the time. However, I was quickly reminded why I don't use Cubase.

Hawky
    post edited by Hawky - 2008/05/04 10:11:11
    satorizero
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/04 15:58:51 (permalink)

Also, I said that I paid $179.00 in Sept of 2007 for software that I still have trouble with. I should get a free T-Shirt or something... Coffee mug maybe?

I will say this though, this is some what of a PITA but this doesn't even touch the frustration I had with motorboating and the automation issues. That had me upgrading my Cubase to the latest version at the time. However, I was quickly reminded why I don't use Cubase.

Hawky

Yes yes, i definately would sport a nice cakewalk shirt or 2 ;-)
    Thats funny, i feel the same about cubase, thats why i love my sonar. (fix me !!!)
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/04 19:44:53 (permalink)

Yes, the work flow is much better. Things are kind of what and where you expect. It seems I get this when I am mixing/ recording and I start clicking to a position and press space bar quickly. Also, I thought it might have something to do with perfect space but it has happened since deleting that clip effect. Of course bow thta I have said all this it will make a liar out of me. Anyway, I am better prepare now with this minidump thing going.

So, wait and see...

Hawky
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/06 23:39:56 (permalink)
    All,

I would suggest anyone experiencing this problem to PLEASE send in a problem report to Cakewalk. Also, include a minidump file. There is a link for this:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/problemreporter/minidump.asp

The reason for this is that the first email I got from Cakewalk they stated there have not been enough people to report this problem to really spend any time with it. When I sent the minidump file to them it came back as a driver issue. So, please report these and send the minidump file as well. There is obviously still a problem that Cakewalk needs to address. However, they think the problem is not with SONAR; I think it is.

Another post with this isse:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1304284

Hawky

post edited by Hawky - 2008/05/07 00:01:00
    Angus_FX
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/22 02:41:46 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Don't use the DXi version of BFD - use the VSTi. The DXi is not maintained any longer, and for all I know may not be 100% compatible with the latest versions of SONAR.

Hope this helps,
    Angus.

Angus F. Hewlett, CEO
    FXpansion Audio http://www.fxpansion.com
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/22 02:56:04 (permalink)
    Don't use the DXi version of BFD - use the VSTi. The DXi is not maintained any longer, and for all I know may not be 100% compatible with the latest versions of SONAR.

This makes sense, I suppose DXi might die a natural death sooner than we think with Cubase 4 not supporting DXi's anymore there half the Market gone already. I wish these guys (Cake,Steinberg, Samplitude etc) would just adopt VSTi as the standard and put more effort into making more stable software with the R&D Time saved on not having to code and update DXi's

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    xohol
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/22 14:37:14 (permalink)
    i get this same error message from time to time. for me its completely random when it happens. it doesn't seem to by any specific plugin causing it. It usually happens for me once or twice during a long (5 or more hours) session. Once i close sonar i usually get a bluescreen of death.

its caused me to get paranoid about saving and save after almost any action. ive lost to many unsaved takes from this error.

edit: PS, i have never had BFD installed on my system, still get the error.
    post edited by xohol - 2008/05/22 14:58:08
    Hawky
    RE: SONAR Error-Unhandled Exception 2008/05/22 22:44:19 (permalink)

xohol,

I encourage you to send in a problem report to Cakewalk and include a minidump file. I have had the same problem and submitted a problem report. I got word back within a week that my problem was associated with my soundcard (Lynx) driver. I downloaded a newer driver and have not had the problem since. Also, I sent them the link from the forum regarding this problem. I got another email back that they were working on it. So, the more problem reports on this issue the more time they will spend on this.

Good Luck,

Hawky

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1