• Total Posts : 20964
2018/02/23 10:46:50 (permalink)

SONAR LIVES!!!!

Read about it here

https://www.soundonsound....s/cakewalk-sonar-lives

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 10:59:54 (permalink)
Hmmm, interesting although it may be too late for me, having had my fingers burned and invested in and moved on to other DAWs. It's interesting that they seem to have mostly acquired the intellectual property and not Cakewalk. I predicted that that might happen. Without the Cakewalk brand, they probably owe nothing to us Cakewalk/Gibson customers so they can skip that responsibility and start afresh.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 13:29:49 (permalink)
I have to agree here 35mm.

I have also "jumped ship" to Cubase, and don't see me moving back unless there is a very good reason to do so. I also have taken in consideration that Steinberg develops some very good other stuff like WaveLab, Dorico, Nuendo, and many VST plugins (bought HALion 6 last week for half price, and like Groove Agent enough to consider buying).

However - Seeing Sonar does not end on the chop block to fade away, gives me a positive feeling.

What the new owners will offer the people that own Platinum and/or the Cakewalk plugins (Z3TA 2, Dimension Pro and so on) remains to be seen.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 13:45:47 (permalink)
Yeah it's great that it's been rescued but the crash has really opened my eyes as to how much better things are on the other side, and it would take me a lot to switch back to Sonar from Reaper and Bitwig. It would be too much of a step backward.

My hope for the new owner is that they strip Sonar of all of the (bug ridden) old bloat it doesn't need and just concentrate on getting the core recording and editing features up to 100% as part of a scaled down DAW which will be snappier, less troublesome and cheaper to develop. Maybe then it will have a chance.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 14:03:01 (permalink)
good luck everyone!

just a sec

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 14:21:12 (permalink)
That's great news. I bought in on the Samplitude deal as a backup plan, but I've continued to use Splat. I haven't had the problems that a lot of other people have had. I totally understand other people's decisions to move on, but I'm interested to see where Cakewalk goes from here, and wouldn't hesitate to upgrade once it's available.
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 14:36:27 (permalink)
https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-announcement-faq/

Live FAQ last updated: 23/02/2018
What is happening to Cakewalk now?

Cakewalk’s complete set of intellectual property and certain related assets have been acquired by BandLab Technologies. Read the official statement here.
Who is BandLab Technologies and what do they do?
BandLab Technologies is a collective of global music brands with a vision to connect the world of music.
Together, our brands share a passion. We’re driven by integrating the physical, digital and social supply chain, to enable better experiences, opportunities, and connections for music creators and lovers alike.
BandLab, the group’s flagship digital product, is an award-winning social music platform that enables millions of creators around the world to make their music and share the creative process with other musicians and fans.

Headquartered in Singapore, other notable brands within the portfolio include Harmony, the world’s most cherished brand in musical instruments since 1892, MONO, the leading design-driven brand in products for the modern musician, Rolling Stone, the world’s leading voice in pop culture and music since 1967, and Swee Lee Music, Asia’s leading online retailer and distributor of musical instruments and pro-audio brands.
Congratulations! Will BandLab be continuing development of the core code base and products?
Without question. Developing and creating innovative technology is one of our core skill-sets and our team is committed equally to not only continuing the legacy of Cakewalk’s products for the users around the world who rely on it in both their personal and professional lives, but also to enhance the set of creative tools available to the millions of creators using BandLab around the world.

More information on product roadmap and releases will be shared at a later date.
Will anyone from the original Cakewalk development team be joining BandLab?
Absolutely. More details will be shared soon.

Is the old website still relevant or active?
No. Certain features on www.cakewalk.com may still work, but we are now in a migration process to ensure everything that has been acquired will be safely transferred as well as archiving the old site onto a legacy subdomain.
Will the Cakewalk forums continue to be available?
Yes! The Cakewalk forums are valuable resources for bakers as well as other professionals in the music community. We plan on keeping the peer-to-peer forums active.
Will you be making the code open-source?
Unfortunately not, but if you have a passion to work on the project (or any of our other projects) with us, we’re actively expanding the team. Please reach out to us with an open application at hr@bandlab.com.
I’m an existing or old SONAR user and have questions about my old account or subscription or want a refund.
BandLab Technologies did not acquire the operating company of Cakewalk Inc., only the complete set of intellectual property, patents, trademarks and certain assets necessary or related to the entire Cakewalk product suite. 

For users of Cakewalk from before 21st February 2018 – please refer to the original Gibson/Cakewalk announcement FAQ here.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 14:38:46 (permalink)
I wonder how it will all pan out? I bought Cubase as a backup plan but I have been slow to start using it. I would welcome continuing support for Sonar which I intend to keep using for some time but buying updates or a new product will depend on what's offered for what price.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 15:02:43 (permalink)
As Sharke has commented, now that I've started using other DAWs it has opened my eyes and ears to realize that I'm better off without Sonar.

I would think BandLab picked up the Cakewalk intellectual property "for a song" and will most likely learn from the code to improve their existing online products.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 15:30:00 (permalink)
There is no way I am going back. Studio One is light years ahead of Sonar and I wish I'd jumped years ago. There will be many, many others who have found life beyond Sonar in the past three months. I hope that Bandlab know what they are buying.

However, it's great news for those who have stuck with Sonar. Good luck everyone.
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 15:57:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/02/23 16:00:59
It's alive! I have been thinking about getting Studio One 8 months or so and  now that I did I like it. So the Cakewalk demise just got me to do something I was thinking about. At this point for me I would say there is some advantage knowing more than 1 DAW just how it opens up your thinking. I welcome the rebirth of SONAR and look forward to getting further into Studio One. Maybe they will even improve SONAR. It was wise for the other DAW guys to give us the discounts on their DAWS right away. Some of them made out like bandits. This is good. I like it.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 16:00:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/02/24 09:16:27
Since BandLab only bought the assets, and not the operating company, they have a clean slate as far as the business and former customers are concerned.  They can do with them however it fits their business model.

Since they have clearly stated they plan to archive the former website and keep the forums up and running, it is probably safe to assume that the product activation servers will continue to run.

Since they are also hiring former Cakewalk developers, there will be new and updated products.  It would make sense to offer a reasonable upgrade path, but probably zero chance it will be free.  I am OK with that, and just happy that I will be able to continue to authorize and use the products that I've already paid for! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 16:10:42 (permalink)
Speculation...

Will any recent Cakewalk branded products appear "in-stock" again?   Maybe at reseller sites, if the Cake store is not going to open again.

For example, there seems to be some uptapped demand from some Sonar users that missed the cutoff to update to a recent version of Platinum before the shutdown announcement.

Or would selling the existing product again now imply some sort of warranty or support arrangement by BandLab for new customers right away?

That could be an expense that the new owners might prefer to avoid until they are up and running with a new product line.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 16:15:50 (permalink)
Yeah I don't think anyone really expected that whomever bought Sonar would grandfather in existing "lifers." It just wouldn't be financially viable for them to do so, in addition to the considerable risk they're taking with the purchase in the first place. 

The one glimmer of hope for Sonar as I see it is that whomever they recruit from the Bakers will have a solid idea of where to take the program having learned from all the mistakes under Gibson. I should imagine they've all been in contact with each other and have had time to reflect and talk about "what might have been," and those who get on board with BandLab will take this renewed vision with them. I should imagine BandLab is going to be way better to work for then Gibson, even if just by virtue of the fact that they don't have a crabby old lush running the company (or do they )

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 16:26:04 (permalink)
sharke

I should imagine BandLab is going to be way better to work for then Gibson, even if just by virtue of the fact that they don't have a crabby old lush running the company (or do they )

Didn't that guy get fired ? 
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 18:13:49 (permalink)
In the 80s I have quite an investment in my Amiga 2000 with DCTV and SupraGen broadcast quality video hardware.

Then Commode-Odor crashed the company into the rocks, and just like Cakewalk the company was toast almost overnight.

I kept my hopes up that someone would buy the company and breathe new life into it. That didn't happen, but the Amiga and associated intellectual property got sold to German company Escom, which gave me hope. They released an Amiga 4000 that no one bought and went bankrupt in a couple of years. Then The Amiga technology was sold to Gateway 2000, and again I hoped for a big comeback.  In 2000 Gateway sold it all having never released any products employing the technology.

Finally in 2010 Commodore USA LLC was created as the last and final attempt at bringing back the Amiga. It collapsed in 2012 with nothing to show for the effort.

Anyway, my thoughts on the Sonar intellectual property sale are that this will also be too little too late, just like the demise of Commodore and the Amiga.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Just Another Bloke
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 18:15:08 (permalink)
More relevant info here.

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/23 19:06:40 (permalink)
sharke
Yeah it's great that it's been rescued but the crash has really opened my eyes as to how much better things are on the other side, and it would take me a lot to switch back to Sonar from Reaper and Bitwig. It would be too much of a step backward.

My hope for the new owner is that they strip Sonar of all of the (bug ridden) old bloat it doesn't need and just concentrate on getting the core recording and editing features up to 100% as part of a scaled down DAW which will be snappier, less troublesome and cheaper to develop. Maybe then it will have a chance.

Yup.  I would never have chosen to bail on SONAR, but with the failure of Cakewalk I've given Studio One 3 a real chance.  I'm liking it.  It's soooooooooooooooooooooo much easier on CPU than SONAR.  Plus, even though everyone tells me I can't hear a difference in DAWs, S1-3 sounds better.  It does.  So there.  If I can get a good deal on a "new improved" SONAR, (and that means actually improved as Sharke indicates) I'm in.  Otherwise, I see Presonus in my future.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: SONAR LIVES!!!! 2018/02/24 17:50:47 (permalink)
Sonar! Yay!

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1