SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems

Author
Dazzell
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2017/09/01 17:53:59 (permalink)

SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems

I was hoping some big brains could help me out. I bought MODO Bass last weekend and it's not working as expected with my SONAR configuration.  When I play MODO with my midi controller many notes don't play and some notes that do play stick. My configuration is SONAR platinum, Nektar Imapct LX 49 (USB) controller, Focusrite 18i6 (1st gen) audio interface. Intel I7, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Graphics Card.

What I've discovered through testing.

Desktop DAW
MODO VSTi / SONAR / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (sticky or non playing notes)
MODO standalone / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
MODO VSTi / Reaper / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
MODO VSTi / FL Studio 12.5 / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
All of the previous configurations tested with an alternative (Non USB midi controller connected to Focusrite 18i6 (works fine except in SONAR)

Laptop DAW

MODO VSTi / SONAR / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (sticky or non playing notes)
MODO standalone / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
MODO VSTi / Reaper / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
MODO VSTi / FL Studio 12.5 / Nektar/ Focusrite 18i6 (works fine)
All of the previous configurations with an alternative (Non USB midi controller connected Focusrite 18i6 (works fine except in SONAR)
On my laptop, I disabled the Focusrite in SONAR and used the Realtek ASIO drivers and Modo worked fine in SONAR

All software and drivers are up to date.
I've tried different USB ports for both the midi controller and audio interface. No luck.
I've uninstalled / reinstalled MODO. Rescanned VSTs in Sonar with no luck.
Uninstalled and reinstalled SONAR.
I notice when I increase the buffer size the issue goes away but latency becomes an issue and MODO isn't playable. MIDI files and bass lines created in piano roll all play fine regardless of the buffer setting.
I have other IK Multimedia VST instruments and they all play fine along with a tone of other instruments that also play fine.

So, there is something about the SONAR / MODO / Focustrite setup that doesn't work for me. I've been dealing with support at IK Multimedia for a week and that hasn't been helpful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Darrell

12 Replies Related Threads

Afrodrum
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 18:41:54 (permalink)
    Please explain whats sticky?

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Dazzell
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 18:44:18 (permalink)
    Sticky just means the note doesn't release after removing finger from the keyboard key.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 18:50:50 (permalink)
    Darrell - I have the Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen and MODO Bass and Sonar. I haven't noticed an issue, but I can check this evening.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Dazzell
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 18:53:00 (permalink)
    lawajava
    Darrell - I have the Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen and MODO Bass and Sonar. I haven't noticed an issue, but I can check this evening.

That would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Afrodrum
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 19:38:46 (permalink)
    Dazzell
    Sticky just means the note doesn't release after removing finger from the keyboard key.

ok. I use a bass guitars from Sample Tank 3 a lot and I have impression that it is at least 50% of MODO content. Sticky note happens rarely and is almost always followed by a crash. Does your MODO crash Sonar?

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Dazzell
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 19:47:10 (permalink)
    Afrodrum
    Dazzell

ok. I use a bass guitars from Sample Tank 3 a lot and I have impression that it is at least 50% of MODO content. Sticky note happens rarely and is almost always followed by a crash. Does your MODO crash Sonar?

Hi Afrodrum,

Lots of crashes with SampleTank 3 but no MODO crashes, yet! But I haven't really used it in any projects, yet as it doesn't really play like an instrument.

D. 
    jeff oliver
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 20:06:56 (permalink)
    I'm having the exact problem as the OP. Modo bass works fine outside of Sonar. But otherwise its unusable as the notes stick quite often. Hopes someone finds the culprit. Thanks.

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
    Windows 8.1 x64
    HP 5500 onboard graphics
    Focusrite 18i20 Sonar Platinum x64
    jeff oliver
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 20:06:56 (permalink)

post edited by jeff oliver - 2018/12/29 01:09:54

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
    Windows 8.1 x64
    HP 5500 onboard graphics
    jeff oliver
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/01 20:07:01 (permalink)
    Sorry for the duplicates

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
    Windows 8.1 x64
    HP 5500 onboard graphics
    Dazzell
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/05 14:47:31 (permalink)
    jeff oliver
    I'm having the exact problem as the OP. Modo bass works fine outside of Sonar. But otherwise its unusable as the notes stick quite often. Hopes someone finds the culprit. Thanks.

Hi Jeff,
    Have you contacted support at IK multimedia? They seem to have given up trying to help me. If more people contact them they might not think I'm the only one with the problem!

Cheers,

Darrell
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/05 16:25:57 (permalink)
    In the first message you said:
    Dazzell
    I notice when I increase the buffer size the issue goes away but latency becomes an issue and MODO isn't playable.

So what ASIO buffer size are you using that fails and what size is required for MODO to work?  In general soft synths with as high a CPU needs as MODO are going to have a very hard time at any buffer size under 128.  No matter how awesome your CPU is.  In fact I'd say 512 or 1024 would be a more likely minimum.  MODO isn't a sample playback engine (so it has nothing in common with IK Sampletank libraries) it simulates the strings.  A very computationally complex operation.

If your buffer size is "reasonable" and MODO is still not playing correctly but only with SONAR the problem might be related to SONAR's multiprocessing settings.  In preferences is an option under Audio->Playback and Recording for "Use Multiprocessing Engine" and a sub-option for "Plug-In Load Balancing" and there are a couple of not visible setting you can adjust in the Configuration file (aud.ini), including EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor and MMCSSThreadPriority and a few more I have no clue what they really do.  Usually AUD.INI problems are best solved by exiting SONAR, removing the AUD.INI file and starting SONAR and letting it remake a default one.  Then start changing things, there are a lot of options that might improve your situation.  In addition Windows 10 has a new "Game Mode" causes all kinds of issues.  I believe Cakewalk recommends turning it off.  There are other threads on this.

I wasn't able to reproduce the effect you describe with MODO, but that kind of stuck sound is usually due to the computer not being able to fill the audio buffer up in time.  Which means something in your audio chain is taking too long.  Your MIDI interface (since it only happens when you play live), your CPU/Computer, your audio interface.   Perhaps it might be related to the drivers and chipsets that glue all those pieces together.  It can be related to how SONAR works with all of the those components (which would explain why it doesn't happen in Reaper).

-Matt

Dazzell
    Re: SONAR / MODO BASS and Focusrite 18i6 problems 2017/09/05 16:33:20 (permalink)
    msorrels
    In the first message you said:
    Dazzell
    I notice when I increase the buffer size the issue goes away but latency becomes an issue and MODO isn't playable.

So what ASIO buffer size are you using that fails and what size is required for MODO to work?  In general soft synths with as high a CPU needs as MODO are going to have a very hard time at any buffer size under 128.  No matter how awesome your CPU is.  In fact I'd say 512 or 1024 would be a more likely minimum.  MODO isn't a sample playback engine (so it has nothing in common with IK Sampletank libraries) it simulates the strings.  A very computationally complex operation.

If your buffer size is "reasonable" and MODO is still not playing correctly but only with SONAR the problem might be related to SONAR's multiprocessing settings.  In preferences is an option under Audio->Playback and Recording for "Use Multiprocessing Engine" and a sub-option for "Plug-In Load Balancing" and there are a couple of not visible setting you can adjust in the Configuration file (aud.ini), including EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor and MMCSSThreadPriority and a few more I have no clue what they really do.  Usually AUD.INI problems are best solved by exiting SONAR, removing the AUD.INI file and starting SONAR and letting it remake a default one.  Then start changing things, there are a lot of options that might improve your situation.  In addition Windows 10 has a new "Game Mode" causes all kinds of issues.  I believe Cakewalk recommends turning it off.  There are other threads on this.

I wasn't able to reproduce the effect you describe with MODO, but that kind of stuck sound is usually due to the computer not being able to fill the audio buffer up in time.  Which means something in your audio chain is taking too long.  Your MIDI interface (since it only happens when you play live), your CPU/Computer, your audio interface.   Perhaps it might be related to the drivers and chipsets that glue all those pieces together.  It can be related to how SONAR works with all of the those components (which would explain why it doesn't happen in Reaper).

Thanks Matt. I hadn't played around with those settings. I'll experiment to see if changing those settings helps!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1