SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Pavlos
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
2005/12/06 15:48:58 (permalink)

SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ...

I am using cakewalk since version 3 , not sonar 3 but pure cakewalk 3 .

All these years I am working with bugs on my back .
Changed so many computers and so many operating systems .
But still they continue to make this programe with full of bugs .
I know to change the aud.ini and the only setting that gives me better cpu meter is the showframesizems = 200 . all the other destroy the audio signal without your notice.Only experts can hear the difference in audio changes while changing the other settings in the Aud.ini. so dont play with them ...
Now all these years when sonar came out the only MAJOR bug they never fixed is this one .
When you have a lot of "choped" edit audio files with groove clips enable it makes sonar goes like mad.
It pastes the data so slow , that sometimes for just only 8 bars it takes around 5 minutes to paste !!!!!!!!!!!!!
and remember that only happens when you have some audio tracks with many edits and groove cliped at the same time ,
while loaded a good size of plugins but the cpu is still at 30 % . that also happens when you try to bounce something .the bounce process takes around 5 minutes or longer !!!!! just for 8 bars with 2-3 low cpu plugins.
Well when Sonar 5.01 came then the big thing happend .
There is some short of bad combatible senarios like , until now I found that :
Using WAVES latest version with some synths or even audio things it might happen offen for the Sonar to crash after the project trying to be loaded .
Well I passed this out with this :> if you open the project in safe mode then just choose to overide the WAVES plugins and then you will see the project will load ok . So you can put them again and then continue working .
But you have to do this all the TIME !!!! and thats not proffesional .
There is a variation in this ....
you make a track and your CPU is 80 % , you save the project and you go away .
Then the next morning you open the project and you will notice that the project will dropload all the time and you wont hear a note !!! But wait a minute , it was ok yersteday ! what happend now ??? I didnt add any plugin !!!
Well lucky me I can think how the sonar can , and thru my luckily 15 years of using sonar then can somehow over pass the bugs . But I really feel like a stupid doing this thing .
And I am telling my self ... I know Sonar programmes are very good and trying their best to have the best compatibily with all the plugins .
But they never fixed the MAJOR bug I am talking about and they never made the sonar immune to everything , because its 15 years of development .
So you have to remove the Wave plugins again and then save . then reopen and then again add them .
I have come to a stage that I am sure many of us is here . We know major music stuff and we can not perform there in the sonar cause it lacks of stability !
How can I pay for a programme that was like a bug all my life time ?
Would ever someone buy my music if the Cd he was buying from had always an error like a bad sound every 1 minute ???

So please sonar programmes dont play with chicks all the time
If you believe in science then you should reach God before women give you disaster .
We want to support you but you dont give us the real chance . I want to make good music but you dont give me the ability to be able to sell my music properly and get the money to buy your programme .

SO the final question is like this ...
why dont you **** go to cubase or logic ?
I am sure they have their own bugs and **** there ...
and I begun with cakewalk 3.0 and I somehow connected to this programme like brothers , you know .

Thank you for reading until here ,
if you have any treatment to those bugs please post them here so we all go home and sleep safe for a better tommorow.

with love
Pavlos.

post edited by Ron Kuper [Cakewalk] - 2005/12/06 15:58:41

35 Replies Related Threads

ChuckB
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 15:50:43 (permalink)
    LOL

I love a good laff!

"Music is its own reward, make more music"

Chuck
    WhyBe
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1009
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 15:54:19 (permalink)
    Pavlos - Your computer is the problem. I suspect your hard drive.

Or perhaps switch to Cubase or Logic or ProTools...they are reportedly 20-30% better than Sonar.
    post edited by WhyBe - 2005/12/06 15:56:00
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 15:58:55 (permalink)
    LOL

Using WAVES latest version

use the CRACKED versions of waves ... their CP is bad for your PC (and for your health)

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    kidsoncoffee
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:01:40 (permalink)
    Reinstall your Waves shells dude.

Your problem will go away..............That is untill the next time you need to reinstall the Waves shell
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:03:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Al

LOL

Using WAVES latest version

use the CRACKED versions of waves ... their CP is bad for your PC (and for your health)

Im guessing cracked versions of sonar too.
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:06:46 (permalink)
    He could be totally legit. I bet it's more unicode incompatibility. The number of non-Americans with major problems leads me to suspect that.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:09:00 (permalink)
    Im guessing cracked versions of sonar too

Nope... I didn't say that.
    Cakewalk (unlike Waves) decided a long time ago to be fair and not to punish their legit users..and not to shoot their own foot.

Waves, Antares and some other companies are spending too much time and money on that Interlok PACE crap.

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:10:49 (permalink)
    I have honestly had a couple of the same problems that he's describing.

Reinstall waves shell and it works itself out
    WhyBe
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:13:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Al

Im guessing cracked versions of sonar too

Nope... I didn't say that.
    Cakewalk (unlike Waves) decided a long time ago to be fair and not to punish their legit users..and not to shoot their own foot.

Waves, Antares and some other companies are spending too much time and money on that Interlok PACE crap.

Are there people having problems with PACE still. I've been with waves since 2.8 and use Antares Tube with no problems whatsoever.

The guy also said he's been using since Cake 3.0. No waves or pace back then...
    pipelineaudio
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 16:44:09 (permalink)
    I sure a hell wouldnt be laughing at him or teasing him about this point:

When you have a lot of "choped" edit audio files with groove clips enable it makes sonar goes like mad.
    It pastes the data so slow , that sometimes for just only 8 bars it takes around 5 minutes to paste !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and remember that only happens when you have some audio tracks with many edits and groove cliped at the same time ,
    while loaded a good size of plugins but the cpu is still at 30 %

This is certainly one of those areas which separates the big boys from the home user. A home user will never have such a problem and just spout the standard, "get x and y product" "defrag your hard drive" and other such which in this case is irrelevant

This is a known bug across many apps I like to call "the edit limit". You have splits, fades and crossfades, which ALL must be processed in realtime. You have project files which instead of being 100k or so end up in the megs. Sadly, I have seen little difference in eedit limit between a pentium 2 400 and a state of the art P4 3.2ghz, between UDMA 33 and SCSI or UDMA 133

This is a problem which some smart thinking app coder will one day have to solve. Its not as if the bands themselves will ever get better, there are more resources to learn skill for a guitar player now thanks to the internet than ever before, by laps and bounds, yet they get worse every year. These kind of major editing will be with us for a long time Im afraid something will have to be figured out

For the time being, when you hit the edit limit, you just gotta render the troubles out
    post edited by pipelineaudio - 2005/12/06 16:45:15

Team Noisegate Thug
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 17:01:50 (permalink)
    Using WAVES latest version with some synths or even audio things it might happen offen for the Sonar to crash after the project trying to be loaded .

this used to happen prior to Wave5 with some plug-ins having serialization problems .. no longer
    the case. update to the latest waves shells and you should be fine.

jeff
    WhyBe
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 17:34:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pipelineaudio

This is certainly one of those areas which separates the big boys from the home user. A home user will never have such a problem and just spout the standard, "get x and y product" "defrag your hard drive" and other such which in this case is irrelevant...

What type of user or application requires such a huge amount of edits.
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 17:45:50 (permalink)
    If you believe in science then you should reach God before women give you disaster .
    We want to support you but you dont give us the real chance . I want to make good music but you dont give me the ability to be able to sell my music properly and get the money to buy your programme .

this is like the "where's waldo" of logic ;-)
    jeff

ps: this has nothing to do with PACE .. it was a Waves problem . which they fixed.
    pps: if only Ron K would have told us they were playing with chicks all the time .. now
    that's an excuse i i think we could buy.
    Pavlos
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 18:30:46 (permalink)
    I thank you everybody for taking some of your valuable time and writing those replies .

Lets say that an update of Waves will fix their problems about this issue...
    Still the Major Problem is unfixed ... and I Dont think it will ever be fixed .
    The reason ?

Maybe only a number of 5 - 10 people have reached this stage of editing in Sonar .

Answering to Whybe , serisouly think of me like one of Madona's songwriters and music edit programmer
    and you will understand . If you want to reach the hit songs then you are going to work everything in detail .
    Until then you are playing with Sonar , not working with it .

Thanks again everybody for reading until here and help about the bug fixes.
    Maybe someone really old and expert find about this MAJOR BUG and help the Sonar programmers fix it and develop
    and people love them again .

still here ,
    Pavlos.

RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 19:19:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pavlos

Still the Major Problem is unfixed ... and I Dont think it will ever be fixed .
    The reason ?

because changes in a hosting program can expose problems in a client DLL ... it wasn't
    anybody's fault per-se .. but the problem has been addressed. new software begats
    new problems along with the new features .. . i'm not sure what you're expecting. Sonar is
    not unique in this regard .. i'm still on a scavenger hunt trying to round up my inserts for
    ProTools 7... now that's an interruption childrens.

Maybe only a number of 5 - 10 people have reached this stage of editing in Sonar .

lots of people hit this bug .. you're not so special my friend.

Answering to Whybe , serisouly think of me like one of Madona's songwriters and music edit programmer
    and you will understand . If you want to reach the hit songs then you are going to work everything in detail .
    Until then you are playing with Sonar , not working with it .

ok .. i will .. if you think of me as Sr. Paul McCartney's ghost writer ;-)
    btw, Madonna's people actually pay for stuff .. it's cool .. 'cause they can.

Maybe someone really old and expert find about this MAJOR BUG and help the Sonar programmers fix it and develop
    and people love them again .

last time .. sing along with me ... YOU HIT A WAVES BUG .. .. it's been fixed. The WAVES plug-ins are
    very stable for me .. they don't crash with this patch. Also, if you update a .DLL ... then yea .. you gotta
    unload it and reload it .. that's because it's executable code that's been loaded into a running program ..
    not unlike if you wanted to change the song on your CD/RW .. you'd have to burn the bits back on it
    again.

jeff
    post edited by jmarkham - 2005/12/06 19:21:51
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 19:40:57 (permalink)

...sounds vaguely apocalyptic or something. I just have no idea what you're on about, man.
    pipelineaudio
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 20:05:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: WhyBe

ORIGINAL: pipelineaudio

This is certainly one of those areas which separates the big boys from the home user. A home user will never have such a problem and just spout the standard, "get x and y product" "defrag your hard drive" and other such which in this case is irrelevant...

What type of user or application requires such a huge amount of edits.

Recording a "modern" band. Even the ones the labels send cant play for crap. I have a shall go unnamed superstar set of guys in recently, after being complimented for thier techniques in modern drummer where on more than one song I had to manually move EVERY single kick stroke in order to get the project acceptable

guitarists can be even worse, we had to work out new recording techniques just to make the editing easier, such as http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6187&highlight=gpan

this is the way it is, and I only see it getting worse. The edit limit sucks, and we need to find a way around it, besides stopping to render them out so often

Team Noisegate Thug
    martin s
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 750
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 20:53:21 (permalink)
    hi i'm not sure about what version of cakewalk or sonar do you have but it is not important because i have Homestudio2004.sonar 4std and sonar 5 std and in this 3 versions the(aud.in) are the same:for bouncing there is a thin line who's let's you to change the speed of bouncing.in the (aud.in):BounceBufSizeMsec=350. this value is the max.the default is 0.hope this help.

Roland VS-1824,SONAR 5 std,RHODENTK mic,m-audio2496,YamahaHS50M,Asrock4coredualsata2,core2duo@2.40gig E4500,2.GOddr2 ram
    HD WDC for OS 120gig,HD seagate 250gig for audio,video N-VIDIA G-8400gs-xp pro.

kidsoncoffee
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 21:23:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kidsoncoffee

I have honestly had a couple of the same problems that he's describing.

Reinstall waves shell and it works itself out

Noone ever listens to the kids!
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 21:29:04 (permalink)
    Aaron!

Im still trying to make the trip to Ariz. Im guessing youve probably got all the splicing, building, snaking taken care of though.
    pipelineaudio
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 21:54:11 (permalink)
    Hi!

We have made a fully mobile setup now, but were on the lookout for a new permanent home bae, so theres still plenty of work whenever you come this way

Team Noisegate Thug
    mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/06 22:27:30 (permalink)
    Hello Pavlos. Glad you could finally find your way to the forum ...considering you've been using Cakewalk products since Cakewalk 3, I figured you would have dropped by sooner than October of this year. Looks like you've been having problem after problem since then, huh? Bummer!

How about if you give us your computer's system specifications (hardware and OS) along with a list of the other apps (music and otherwise, including version number for each) you're running, so we can help you out a bit more.

Thanks!

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

Pavlos
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/08 21:25:13 (permalink)
    I look for this too much ...

Now new info ...
    Waves 5.2 update didnt help at all , even after unistall every waves version .
    Still Cakewalk is stucked when the project loads 100 % it stucks there .

If I use other plugins than Waves its running fine ...but I am very depented with Waves plugins .
    and I am forced to load the project in safe mode and then add the plugins AGAIN !!!!!!!! that works but its bad for the health.
    Another bug I forgot to mention is ...

In the Piano Roll view if you use the shortcuts E, D , S for insert or delete notes you might find that when you press erase and then you press back to draw the erase button and the draw are stucked together and you get only the erase function .
    To overpass this u just press again E and then D to go back to draw pencil . Thats very slow and bugy editing .

If someone can help more with the Waves thing then it would be great ...
    and remember all that started just when I upgraded from sonar 4.03 to Sonar 5.0 !

My pc specs.
    Intel 915 chipset ,
    3.2 ghz intel pentium 4
    Gigabyte m/b with ddr 1 and ddr 2 slots
    1 Gb memory
    1 Terrabyte hard disk
    M- Audio 1010Lt
    Pixelview 6600 Gefore Graphics adapter

mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/08 23:11:02 (permalink)

OK. I'm confused! You start out saying:

I am using cakewalk since version 3 , not sonar 3 but pure cakewalk 3 .

All these years I am working with bugs on my back .
    Changed so many computers and so many operating systems .
    But still they continue to make this programe with full of bugs .

And now you're saying this:

If I use other plugins than Waves its running fine ...but I am very depented with Waves plugins .
    and I am forced to load the project in safe mode and then add the plugins AGAIN !!!!!!!! that works but its bad for the health.

and remember all that started just when I upgraded from sonar 4.03 to Sonar 5.0 !

Within this post here:

Now new info ...

In the Piano Roll view if you use the shortcuts E, D , S for insert or delete notes you might find that when you press erase and then you press back to draw the erase button and the draw are stucked together and you get only the erase function .
    To overpass this u just press again E and then D to go back to draw pencil . Thats very slow and bugy editing .

My pc specs.
    Intel 915 chipset ,
    3.2 ghz intel pentium 4
    1 Gb memory
    1 Terrabyte hard disk
    M- Audio 1010Lt

So, are you trying to say that Cakewalk/Sonar has always been "buggy" ...or that it is now only "buggy" with the Waves plugins enabled? ...I'm confused. Please clarify what you're trying to say.

BTW: I didn't know that they made hard discs with a terrabyte of storage. Do you have just a single hard drive or multiple? Are they (it) SATA or IDE?

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/08 23:13:21 (permalink)
    is it possible you could make a CWB file and put it somewhere i could download it?
    if you don't have a spot, i could make directory available on my site.

i'm curious to try and replicate the problem you are experiencing.

jeff

Now new info ...

My pc specs.
    Intel 915 chipset ,
    3.2 ghz intel pentium 4
    1 Gb memory
    1 Terrabyte hard disk
    M- Audio 1010Lt

billp
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/09 01:46:33 (permalink)

er...well...yes, you're right about this...

Bill
    Pavlos
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/09 21:39:25 (permalink)
    Mr. Moon

The MAJOR bug as I explain in the beggining , I am sure it will never get fixed .
    So I am talking about the rest of the bugs .
    Waves are still a headache , I am trying to find similar plugins but I spend years with waves
    and its not a good thing to change plugins just because they dont work fine with the new Sonar 5.0x .
    About the harddisks : 4 x 320 Gb hard disks.

J.Markham ,
    I am sorry but I cant send my new project to you . I might have to send you an alternative project with the same problem but not with my new track running in it .

I thank you everybody for reading until here .

As you see and Billp found out too , that Sonar programmers forgot to fix a very obvious bug !
    That means , Slacking ... (talking about the Piano Roll Bug)

Now you see they are slacking for sure ...
    If I only new some more programming stuff I might could be able to programme the ultimate sequenser :(

Maybe Sonar 5.03 and Wave 5.3 will fix their incompatibily !!!

chillbaby
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/10 01:04:49 (permalink)

while loaded a good size of plugins but the cpu is still at 30 %

When I have come across this problem with groove clip audio I have found the answer is to cut the Groove clip (assuming a continual loop) this seems to alleviate the huge pasting times...

Dave Ross
    JunXioN Music
    Intel D875PBZ - Intel P4 3.0 800fsb - 2gig ram
    ADK-IQ core 2 duo 1gig Ram Laptop
    RME HAMMERFALL - PRESONUS FIREBOX
    MACKIE UAD - MACKIE CONTROL - MACKIE HR824
    SONAR 6.2 Producer
    NI Komplete 2 - Triton/Akai's/Jupiter 8
    billp
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: SONAR - THE KING OF BUGS ... 2005/12/10 11:20:06 (permalink)
    Maybe Sonar 5.03 and Wave 5.3 will fix their incompatibily

Well, to the extent that your problems with S5 are truly problems with S5 (as opposed to Waves), this is most probably true, if history is any judge. One of the reasons SONAR has so many long-time customers (such as myself) is that CW does follow up and fix things.

...and even though I confirmed that, yep, there is the Draw/Erase bug on the PRV, I've got to say that given that the PRV was substantially rewritten for S5 and is now a much better tool, it is working fine for the most part...

Bill
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1