Helpful ReplySONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources

Author
drhauser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2018/09/20 15:54:43 (permalink)

SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources

Hello, 
After a few years of inactivity, I started using SONAR again.  However, I've changed computers and I've forgotten some of setup and the ins and outs, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.  I know this probably a basic question, and I appreciate the help.

Here is my setup:
  • I am running SONAR X1 on a Dell Inspiron.  
  • I have a Kawaii K-11 as a controller that I connect to an M-Audio Midisport 1x1 MIDI interface.
  • For audio, I have an M-Audio Fast Track.
  • I have a pair of Roland MA-15D speakers for output.

When I am running SONAR, I can hear what I've recorded fine.  However, when I went over to watch a video about SONAR on YouTube, I could not hear any of the video's audio.  I then disconnected the Midi interface (M-Audio).  Then, I could hear the video's audio, but I lost the ability to hear anything out of SONAR. 

Could someone please direct me to an explanation of how to hear sound through SONAR and non-SONAR applications without having to plug and unplug things/reinstall drivers etc.? 

Thanks for your time! 

Dan
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/20 16:19:33 (permalink)
When using the same audio device for Windows and SONAR make sure both Windows and SONAR are set to the same sample rate.
drhauser
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/21 17:52:31 (permalink)
Thank you, SCOOK.  I found that my driver software may not be compliant with Windows 10; I have an older M-Audio MIDI interface, and when I went to get the most updated software, I got a message saying my computer was incompatible with it. 

I think I may just purchase a new MIDI interface and start from scratch.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Dan
methodman3000
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/22 00:10:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby drhauser 2018/09/22 01:02:32
Maybe this might do this?  If this is incorrect someone tell me so.  Couldn't you in the playback and recording menu suspend the sound engine when Sonar isn't the focus.  One thing I do is listen to a stream and pause it to learn the various parts of a song.  For me I need to tussle back and forth to do that.  Or I will compare two different synthesizers basically trying to create the same patch on both of them to learn their nuances.  ie K3 V vs Colbalt both look the same but the Kawai plug in is more like a keyboard and organ making instrument, not as good at synth sounds.  But the comparison is interesting.  
drhauser
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/22 01:03:26 (permalink)
Thank you for your response, MethodMan.  Unfortunately, I cannot hear the MIDI even suspending the sound engine and setting it back. 

I use the Kawaii just as a controller... I primarily use the soft synth sounds provided by Sonar, and have downloaded some others. 

What I can't figure out is the signal from the keyboard is obviously reaching Sonar via the MIDI interface; I see the meter jump when I press a note on the keyboard.  I tried writing music in the staff view in case there is an issue with the controller, but when I played it back, still no sound.  

I haven't found the Cakewalk support to be stellar.  It looks like they are not taking email for product support.  The forums have been helpful, though! 

Any ideas would be appreciated!  I thought I had the MIDI device set up properly in preferences, but perhaps not. 

Thanks for your time and expertise! 

Dan
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/22 02:26:48 (permalink)
Does the Fast Track have MIDI connections?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/22 03:50:48 (permalink)
For best results use an audio interface that is currently supported for your OS.  You should be able to run your DAW and Windows apps through the same audio interface and speakers. 

Solving any MIDI problems would be a separate issue, as the drivers for that are not dependent on the audio drivers.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/22 06:10:30 (permalink)
drhauser
...Could someone please direct me to an explanation of how to hear sound through SONAR and non-SONAR applications without having to plug and unplug things/reinstall drivers etc.?

Here's a quote from the manual:

If you select Share Drivers With Other Programs in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and
Recording, SONAR will relinquish control of the audio device when the program loses Windows focus.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
drhauser
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/25 18:34:50 (permalink)
Hello, 
Thank you all for your responses.  The Fast Track interface does not have MIDI connections; I use a mio for the MIDI. Also, I unchecked the box so that Sonar does not relinquish control of the audio device.

At this point, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Sonar, the audio device, and the MIDI devices.  My thinking is all the MIDI preference selections I've made in error will be essentially be factory reset by reinstalling Sonar.  For some reason, even after I reinstall Sonar, one of the existing projects I began to record does not go away; when I reinstall Sonar, it appears in the list of existing projects.  

I cannot hear any MIDI or audio coming out of Sonar at this point.  Is there some sort of checklist I can follow to check all my settings?  Has anyone found Cakewalk's support to be helpful?  They don't appear to even take emails anymore.

Thanks for your time!

Dan 
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/25 18:56:37 (permalink)
I recommend you set SONAR to use the M-Audio interface and monitors, and have Windows, browsers and other generic multimedia apps use your onboard sound, either through a separate set of speakers or connecting to the same monitors via an external mixer. This keeps Windows from messing with your audio interface, and causing problems for SONAR, and vice versa.

- Under Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording, set the Driver Mode to ASIO.
- On the Devices page, check the I/O ports for the Fastrack (you shouldn't even see soundcard ports here).
- On the Driver Settings page, make sure the Playback and Record Timing Masters are both referencing channels of the Fastrack.

- Under Sound in the Windows Control Panel, set the Default Devices for Recording and Playback to the soundcard I/O. 

The MIDI setup shouldn't have any bearing on how audio works, but if there's any problem using MIDI in SONAR, that can be addressed separately.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/25 19:17:21 (permalink)
drhauser
  Has anyone found Cakewalk's support to be helpful?  They don't appear to even take emails anymore.

Support for X1 was discontinued by Cakewalk around 2013. Gibson shutdown Cakewalk operations in Nov 217. Earlier this year BandLab purchased Cakewalk IP from Gibson and released a product based on SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by BandLab is free, supported by BandLab, can read your SONAR projects and take advantage of everything bundled with X1. If you are looking for a manufacturer supported product consider upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab using BandLab Assistant (requires a BandLab account which should be setup using the same email as your Cakewalk account).
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/25 19:17:35 (permalink)
1. You can test your Sonar audio path separately from any MIDI equipment by just dragging an audio clip into an audio track in a test project in the DAW, and playing it.  Do you hear it play back over the speakers connected to your Fast Track?

2. When you play a YouTube video or an MP3 media player in Windows, the sound is sent to the audio device configured in Windows, rather than Sonar.  Have you configured Windows to use the Fast Track device for default Windows audio? If it is defaulting instead to the onboard audio chip and you don't have the speakers connected to that you will hear nothing.  Also make sure you used the same sample rate for Sonar and Windows.

Your MIDI interface and MIDI settings should not have any bearing on this issue.  This is an audio only problem.

Good luck!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/09/27 10:36:04 (permalink)
drhauser
Has anyone found Cakewalk's support to be helpful?  They don't appear to even take emails anymore.

You've been trying to contact a ghost company. SONAR is no longer in development. Cakewalk as a company no longer exists.

This forum is being kept running as a courtesy by BandLab, the company who bought the intellectual property associated with the Cakewalk company, including SONAR.

They have a freeware program called Cakewalk by BandLab that is based on the old SONAR Platinum code and is backward compatible. It includes many bug fixes and several new features since SONAR Platinum was released.

It is yours for free. Go to http://www.bandlab.com/ register with the same email you used at Cakewalk. You install a little downloader program called BandLab Assistant and it will download and install Cakewalk by BandLab for you, right alongside SONAR X1, and then you can use both of them if you want, and even have some features from X1 that aren't included with CbB.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
drhauser
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/10/02 03:23:57 (permalink)
Hello all, 
Thank you all for your help!  I've solved some of the issues thanks to your responses.  I can now bounce between Sonar and other applications and hear audio in both.
I have a new issue that I'll open a new post for.  If this isn't the correct etiquette and I should keep all my questions in the same thread, please let me know.
Thanks again,
Dan
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: SONAR X1 Setup Issue Prevents Me from Hearing Audio from Other Sources 2018/10/02 05:28:21 (permalink)
Glad to hear you got it sorted. New post for a new issue is generally a good idea.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1