SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Hifidavid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 19:42:55 (permalink)
Wow, so what you are saying is that I can't do audio?  I have to go through yet more steps.  I want to be able to layer, and mix down, and master too.  Also no portability?  I'll look up the bounce track option and freeze you mention and see if that will work for me.  There are some great vst's which is why I bought Sonar, but I want to distribute and colaborate and midi only doesn't work.  

I guess I was doing it right....  

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 20:31:56 (permalink)
Hifidavid

Wow, so what you are saying is that I can't do audio?  I have to go through yet more steps.  I want to be able to layer, and mix down, and master too.  Also no portability?  I'll look up the bounce track option and freeze you mention and see if that will work for me.  There are some great vst's which is why I bought Sonar, but I want to distribute and colaborate and midi only doesn't work.  

This is clearly the first soft synth you've used, Hifidavid.  There are just a few concepts to get down, and then those will apply to every soft synth VST you'll use.  

You can't do audio?-- Well, yes, of course you can have audio with Kontakt - a soft synth wouldn't be too useful without audio! - You were just going about it the wrong way.  I think you have it now?

-- MIDI track is where you record MIDI data, notes, volume, vibrato, whatever you're wanting to do and what the synth is capable of.  That MIDI track is assigned a MIDI channel which is the same as the channel your instrument is on, and of course the track is hooked up to that synth.

There are audio outs from the synth so the thing can be heard.  The audio outs from Kontakt, or any soft synth, have to have a way to be heard in the host, in Sonar - so an audio track is set up to carry the signal from the synth.

It's logical enough. - Then when you want to record a track with the synth, and not just have it playback live, you need to select/highlight the two tracks, MIDI and Audio - then bounce down to audio.  The other option is "freezing" which is about the same thing.

And there really isn't any choice, you can't just see if it will work for you - that's the way it works, them's the choices.

No portability?  I'm not positive what you mean - though you also talk about collaborating, so I think you were hoping that having Kontakt and other VSTs would make it possible for those synths to somehow be included in a project file that others work with.  No, for the specific soft synth to be used in a project, both people have to have the same synth so the MIDI track can drive it.  But, you can of course share bounced/rendered audio.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 22:20:32 (permalink)
Hifidavid

if you're wanting to distribute tracks for colaboration, all you have to do is export the tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
logic2sonar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/07/09 12:29:10 (permalink)
I know this post is a bit old but I have a similar problem to The_Dr:

"I want to route Sonar X1 Track 1 to Konakt Midi channel 1 and so on. Currently I can only get all tracks of Sonar X1 to trigger the 1st instrument in Kontakt, but not 2,3,4...etc. Thanks!"

I have set up all the Kontakt 4 routing correctly and am able to play multiple instruments in Kontakt by changing the Midi/Select on my Midi controller keyboard.

However, after recording midi notes to individual tracks when I playback it triggers all midi notes on the first intstrumet in Kontakt only and not the other instruments!

Is there a way of assigning Sonar tracks to playback/trigger individual Kontakt instruments seperately - so I can mix them sepeartely using Sonar?

I have searched the forum and can't find a simple answer to this problem - all help appreciated!

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit) Service Pack 1
Sonar X3 Producer (X3d patch installed) 
Motu UltraLite mk3 Hybrid (Firewire External Sound device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 (2.83 GHz)
ASUS P5Q3 WiFi Deluxe Motherboard
ATI Radeon HD4800 Series Graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM
256GB Solid State System Drive
250GB SATA Storage Drive (7200 RPM)
djwolf
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2017/08/25 10:07:57 (permalink)
Well, I got to the first phrase of John's post - "First  insert Kontakt in the synth rack" but there I stumbled.  How?  In my browser under instruments / VST2 I see all three versions of Kontakt.  However, under Synths I get "none" with no way to change it.  Anyone?
Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2017/08/25 10:35:12 (permalink)
logic2sonar
I know this post is a bit old but I have a similar problem to The_Dr:

"I want to route Sonar X1 Track 1 to Konakt Midi channel 1 and so on. Currently I can only get all tracks of Sonar X1 to trigger the 1st instrument in Kontakt, but not 2,3,4...etc. Thanks!"

I have set up all the Kontakt 4 routing correctly and am able to play multiple instruments in Kontakt by changing the Midi/Select on my Midi controller keyboard.

However, after recording midi notes to individual tracks when I playback it triggers all midi notes on the first intstrumet in Kontakt only and not the other instruments!

Is there a way of assigning Sonar tracks to playback/trigger individual Kontakt instruments seperately - so I can mix them sepeartely using Sonar?

I have searched the forum and can't find a simple answer to this problem - all help appreciated!

Your midi track has a destination but you also need to set the midi channel for that track in the inspector/midi section otherwise they will all go to channel 1.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1