SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working

Author
WordclockXIII
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/04/14 13:38:07 (permalink)

SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working

I haven't used Sonar in a few months and now when I go to fire it up, I get this error at startup and it crashes. First it says that my Master bus is silent and I need to fix that (umm... how?) and after I click Ok, the program itself just crashed. So I uninstalled it, cleared out all file references I could locate to it, ran a Reg cleaner, and reinstalled it and it still crashes at load up. It also remembered where I kept my plugins, what my last file opened was and all that, so I know that I didn't truly remove it entirely when I tried which is sure to contribute to my problem. Meanwhile, the only reason I'm even opening it in the first place is to try and troubleshoot my Maschine hardware. I was using Reaper for a bit and when I tried to activate the Maschine as a MIDI input, it couldn't see it. So after a ton of work dealing with that, one step in troubleshooting was to get Maschine to work in a different DAW first, so I know if the problem lies with the hardware or Reaper itself. But hey look at that, Sonar doesn't even open at all, even with Maschine uninstalled and disconnected. Thoughts?

10 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 13:50:06 (permalink)
    Does not sound like it was a clean reinstall of SONAR. Here are the instructions for performing a clean reinstall of X2 Producer http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2698156 You may want to start there, if you are using X2 Producer
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:03:44 (permalink)
    Here's an updated version I did.
    steps 9 + 10 may be skipped but I wouldn't recommend it.
    if there is a program in start up that is running that prevents programs from being installed EG-malicious software , anti virus, then you will need to repeat the process again.

FYI= most of this is straight from cakewalks tech support.

For a clean installation of SONAR X2 please try the following:
    PRE-uninstall) Disable your Anti-Virus: this means all sheilds, most AV can be disabled right from the taskbar/notifications area by right clicking on your AV icon / disable permanently (this isnt actually permanently/See: *Important note).
    *Important to note- your Anti virus will not be disabled after your computer re-boots because it is set to start up in services. 

1) Completely un-install SONAR from your computer. This is normally done from Start | Programs | Cakewalk. This will not remove any of your project files or audio data.

2) Next you will want to open the Run Command

a) In Windows Vista and 7 this can be done by holding down the Windows key and pressing R    
                b) In Windows 8 this can be done by holding down the Windows key and pressing R then typing in CMD in the message box/press enter  

3) At the prompt type regedit and click OK.

***Backup your Registry before making edits - you do this by clicking the File menu, Export Registry File.

4) Now delete the following Registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X2
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X2

*Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings you may have made in Cakewalk. You can back these up separately if you like, using Options|Key Bindings, Tools|SONAR Plug-in Manager, and Options|Colors.  Hit F1 in these views for detailed instructions on how to do this.

*go to C/Cakewalk content/SONAR X2 Producer.(the SONAR X2 Producer folder has all your track templates, Cal scripts, project templetes, pro channel presets and other things you might want to look at before reinstalling incase you want to back those up

5) Open the 'Run' command again.

6) Copy and paste the following into the prompt:

%appdata%\Cakewalk

7) This will open your Cakewalk Application Data folder, right-click on the SONAR folder and choose rename.

8) Rename this folder SONAR X2 Backup.

9) Open the 'Run' command again and type msconfig Click OK and then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the window that opens.

10) Uncheck all items listed, click OK, then restart your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later time.

11) Then reinstall SONAR. Make sure to have any virus scanners disabled on installation. It is not required or recommended to turn off any windows services.

*A small note on steps 9 + 10 ( services)
    1)let me explain how virus's work, some malicious software are linked to your windows start up.
    thus when booting the computer the virus starts automatically blocking you from installing any anti virus to remove the virus.
    thus blocking you from installing anything.

2) some anti virus such as Norton 360 is very difficult to just turn off. 
    as with most AV, it is linked to start up in services.
    as I learned from spending an hour on the phone with Norton's Tech support,
    Norton is very different from most AV and is not a good choice for musicians doing digital audio/sharing computer as a surfer. 
    that's why you need to download the "power eraser" to remove Norton from your system.
    therefor, following the instructions from cakewalk "Turn off your anti-virus".

3) there are a few other reasons as well
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1862515

post edited by chuckebaby - 2013/04/14 14:35:19

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

DigitalBoston
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:08:03 (permalink)
    wow thats some deap info in the issue, good job chuckenorris, sorry i had to
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:15:39 (permalink)
    thanks for the update, I will start using that post as the X2 reinstall reference.
    WordclockXIII
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:18:31 (permalink)
    I'm going to start in on all these suggestions now, but just wanted to add a detail before I get into it in case it helps. It donned on me that I did (what I thought to be a clean install) straight from my disc, but it's not likely the most recent version, so went online to get the newest (X1d). I own Production Suite. I can't find any updates to bring Production Suite up to date, only Producer, and it doesn't accept the X1c (or a or b or d) Producer update for the Production Suite. So how then do I update my Production Suite? Anyway, off to try everything here in the mean time. Thanks for the prompt replies.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:31:46 (permalink)
    thanks guys.
    boston: your too funny man. :)
    scook, I reference most of your posts :)

I still want to add a few things on to this list as surprises that always seem to come from no where :)
    feel free to add your own, would love the info, maybe we can get a sticky going, this seems to be something asked a lot.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:32:44 (permalink)
    wordclockxiii: It is good to know what version of SONAR you are running. The X1 Production Suite was a bundle that includes SONAR X1 Producer Expanded. When I purchased the Production Suite, IIRC the instructions to get to X1d Producer Expanded were to install X1 Producer, apply the Producer X1c patch, then install X1 Producer Expanded and then the Expanded X1d patch.

checkbaby: for some reason CW has not updated their knowledge base with updated X2 reinstall info. maybe too busy with the next update. I keep a file of handy thread urls for situations like this. One thing I have started doing with my newest machine is relocate all of my custom stuff to a separate directory tree and link it into the SONAR installation. It keeps me from having to hunt around for all the stuff that I have created when it comes to time to reinstall or upgrade.
    post edited by scook - 2013/04/14 14:40:04
    WordclockXIII
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 14:56:19 (permalink)
    I'm running Sonar X1 Production Suite, so yes I should be using X1 Producer Expanded I would guess. How do I install Producer first? Is it a d/l that I can get from CW's site? The package came with 4 discs, the first being Sonar, the others are additional plugs and such. I'm presently re-installing X1 from disc again, please tell me I'm not going to have to remove it all over again JUST to install Producer first, just to patch just to reinstall just to patch. Guh. And all this just to get it working again so I can test some other piece of hardware that is also screwy and not working right. And I wonder why my right eye has been twitching for 2 days. lol
    WordclockXIII
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 15:04:08 (permalink)
    And in the meantime.... while installing X1 from disc, I got an error: C:\Plugins....NullProxy.dll Unable to register the DLL/OCX:RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0xC0000005. Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway. Retry does nothing, Ignore will finish the installation. I am installing 64 bit on Win7 FWIW.
    WordclockXIII
    Re:SONARPDR.EXE has stopped working 2013/04/14 15:41:58 (permalink)
    Got it!!!!! Long story short, I had done what I thought was a full uninstall, but it turns out I missed a step, so MEGA thanks to Chuck for the help. In the end, dealing with the %appdata& folder for both Sonar (got it opening again) AND Maschine (got it acting like a proper MIDI controller) fixed both the issues I was having. So I not only can start using Sonar again for all my mixing and recording clients (does happy dance), but I can start writing new tunes on Maschine as a MIDI controller for my drums.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1