SONG: Blooming

Author
kiwisdontdrinktea
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 567
2005/03/17 14:26:10 (permalink)

SONG: Blooming

My 2nd song. Mix is Rough (compressed Eq'd Drums. Bass). Have not mixed it. Truely appreciate any advice/feedback I can get on the mixing process that might help me going forward.

Specific feedback I would like:

- Guitars /Bass a bit boomy?
- Should I thicken the guitars during the riff (Add a track of chords?)
- The drums feel like they don't contribute well to the rythm. Do you agree? Maybe add a couple of double kicks and steady the snare a bit.
- The lead guitar pieces may need to be doubled?
- The piano piece towards center seems boomy, what to do?
- How far away am I from having a good Demo? It is only my second song and it represents the best of my ability at this time. How far to go to have a worthy Demo?

The song I began writing/recording around November 2004 elections. It is about George Bush.
Translation key: Sun = Nukes (weapons) = (Bush - the Son).

Here it is: http://www.beatkiwi.com/music/blooming/blooming.mp3

Cheers
Kiwis

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com

17 Replies Related Threads

Abbey
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 16:51:12 (permalink)
    Hello kiwisdontdrinktea,

I'm noticing an instrument out of tune up front between the 3rd & 8th bar. I haven't listened to the whole song yet because I just got called away to supper. I'm have a cheese-burger with lots of onions, so please ignor my bad breathwhen I come back and have a chance to listen to the entire song.

Jeff Abbey
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 16:52:55
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 22:09:12 (permalink)
    Dam. Out of tune again? Can you tell which part? I do not hear it. But someone else said the same thing about my last song. I wonder if my tuner is not correct. (Using Pod XT to tune) I will get another. Both songs were done with same set of strings perhaps that was the problem? Bad strings? Maybe it is my playing. I bend just about every note when I play. Do I need to rerecord the whole thing?
    post edited by kiwisdontdrinktea - 2005/03/17 22:13:31

Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 22:16:30 (permalink)
    Bazza,

I don't think that the instrument is actually out of tune. But it seem's that a string was pulled sharp. I think that it was the bass, might have been that guitar.

I'll tell you what I'll do... I'll download the song and find out the exact measure. Just let me know what the tempo is so I can line it up with Sonar 4.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire song yet to give you a full critique.

Jeff Abbey
    Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 22:21:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Abbey

I haven't listened to the whole song yet because I just got called away to supper. I'm have a cheese-burger with lots of onions, so please ignor my bad breathwhen I come back and have a chance to listen to the entire song.

Jeff Abbey

Wow! That cheese burger with an entire slice up onion was "Jack Cool".

"Jack Cool" --- A term I picked up from a kid from Manhatten.
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 22:22:34
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 23:21:55 (permalink)
    Kiwis:

I enjoyed the lyrical rhythm of this song. Well done.

I really liked the electronica elements after the first verse.

All I would say about improvements would be that I don't think the lead works at the intro before the main riff is introduced. I agree that the first lick is bent out of tune and seems not to fit. Once you intro the main riff, the song works well. Maybe go straight into that or redo the brief intro. I would also say that the lead gtr compared to the main riff sounds thin. You may want to double those parts.

Your mix sounds good on my speakers, but I don't know a lot about mixing, yet.

Enjoyed the song.

Jeff.
    Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/17 23:45:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kiwisdontdrinktea
    Dam. Out of tune again?

Forget my last post because I'm a big, big, dumby...
    What I'll do now, (before someone else does it and makes me look like a massive dumby),
    is just cut the out of tuned sections and shoot 'em back at ya.

Jeff Abbey
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 23:47:18
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 00:37:57 (permalink)
    Abbey The tempo is 122 bpm. I hope you are hearing some disonance due to bends, if that is the case it was intentional and I am happy. The intro starts bent and falls back to the note I do that with some of the licks too. It is music to my ears. But if it is really a guitar out of tune I'm gonna climb up the wall. It would not surprise me though I had tuning problems but not on the strings I am playing licks on.

jsykesThanks for your comments. The electronic parts are supposed to convey something like a battlefield and there is a guy amongst all that singing 'we'll be alright'.

Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 01:34:41 (permalink)

Abbey The tempo is 122 bpm. I hope you are hearing some disonance due to bends, if that is the case it was intentional and I am happy.

Ahhhhh, let me listen again tomarrow with a fresh ear.

If you were to listen to my first instrumental [Black Tree] you'll see that I have a tuning problem the openning guitar and a couple of other places. I may just be, today that is, a little sensitive to intonation because of my problem with my mix.

Catch you on the flip-flop DUDE,
    Jeff Abbey
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/18 01:35:31
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 11:50:53 (permalink)
    I like the creative style. Some parts of the vocals sounds a little tentative, and slightly pitchy (like around 1:43). For my ears the piano is a bit loud when it comes in, and overshadows the vox in that part. I don't hear the guitars as boomy, but too upfront in the mix and they have that Direct in Sound to them. The leads don't jump out enough; you could double them or just increase the volume and throw a little verb or delay on them.

My two cents...
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 12:12:56 (permalink)
    Kiwi,
    Your developing an interesting style. I liked this tune.
    Here some comments:
    - Regarding tuning - there's a bend by the lead/right guitar at 0:06 that isn't fully executed and it just makes the axe sound outta tune. This should be addressed or Dan's going to get on your case. If you want to bend it, bend it with conviction! <g>
    - That same guitar - at 0:20 there's a hammer-on trill that could be crisped up.
    - Personally, I'm not sure about the R2D2 stuff coming in at 1:00+, may make it more subtle, less volume.
    - Theres a lead guitar line at 2:43, played high, repeated an octave lower - that third note needs to be played a half note lower.
    - I second Mike Lockett's comments (by in large)

You're moving forward with your compositions, this one has more structural integration than the last (which was cool too).
    Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 15:17:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Abbey

Ahhhhh, let me listen again tomarrow with a fresh ear.

Hello Kiwises don't drink tea,

I've now rested those 52 year old ears of mine and now am listening to "Blooming" while I write this post.

Love the song!
    Love the lyrics!
    Love the vox!
    Love the song's structure!
    Love those disonance bends!

Putting it simply, I guess I should say, "It's deffinately my cup of tea."

JA
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 18:34:34 (permalink)
    Hi, kiwis!

This was a fun listen. I probably don't get it, but it was interesting in an oddball, quirky kind of way. I notice in your various posts that you claim to not be a musician, not be a recording or mastering engineer, and etc., so what part do you play in these? Just curious.

M
    Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/18 20:34:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: M

Hi, kiwis!

This was a fun listen. I probably don't get it, but it was interesting in an oddball, quirky kind of way. I notice in your various posts that you claim to not be a musician, not be a recording or mastering engineer, and etc., so what part do you play in these? Just curious.

M

M: It is my good guess that kiwis has the fine art of listening while hearing. This ART is something that you, and most our fellow forumites here, have surely wished that our past live audiance would have practiced.
    However, I think he's the guitart player. We guitar players tend not to think ourselves as musicains because the instrument is so easy to play.

HEY!!! Everybody; could someone tell the forum Adim to give us more smileys. I think I've used up my quota! [sm=rolleyes.gif]

post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/18 20:43:18
    Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/19 05:06:25 (permalink)

Abbey The tempo is 122 bpm. I hope you are hearing some disonance due to bends...

Just listened to your song once again that is logged on my iTunes program. I am now finding that the disonance bends, lyrics and vox fit splendedly[check spelling].
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/19 08:25:02 (permalink)
    Interesting piece with a slightly ambitious (and different) construction - loved the way you crammed some of the lyrics in - that gave the song a fun feeling to it even though some of the lyrics are on the dark side. I would also have to agree that there is a vocal pitching problem around 1:43.

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

kiwisdontdrinktea
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/20 13:23:52 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I will spend some time mixing and trying to improve the mix this week.

Abbey I listened to your instrumental Black Tree as you suggested. Did not see a post for it so I'll comment here. Nice guitar playing. I wish I could play like that. If it were my song I would probably add another guitar part, create a conversation between two guitars. You seem to have no trouble playing so it could really create a vollying groove there.

Mike Will bring Piano down, and also vox down in the electronic section'. I will double the leads probably by cloning and running the clone thru Guitar Rig. The guitars certainly have a direct sound. I think I shot myself in the foot when I scooped some mids out of the POD before I recorded it. Oh well. Thanks for the ears.

Ed As usual your ears are pitch sharp as a leprechauns on St Pattys day. I wonder if I can use a plugin to pitch correct it? I did pump up the R2D2 (radio Moscow) right before I uploaded it, I'll bring it back down. Thanks for the sanity checkl.

M Love Your 'Jazz' collabs. The song is me on guitar, vox and midi everything else. I try to warn people I don't have much experience with this, so they can weight my comments (about their songs) appropriately.

Kev(electronica) I know what you mean about the lyrics, I wanted it to be a bit obscure so that it wouldn't sound like some guy whining. I'll see about correcting the pitch problem.

I will also be adding a couple of kicks and one more bass note to make the riff seem less choppy.

Cheers and thanks again for the valuable comments.
    Barry
    post edited by kiwisdontdrinktea - 2005/03/20 13:27:00

Abbey
    RE: SONG: Blooming 2005/03/20 16:04:52 (permalink)

Abbey I listened to your instrumental Black Tree as you suggested...
    But did you here the out of tune guitar in the opening section

I wish I could play like that.
    Rather, aways wish that you could play like you

If it were my song I would probably add another guitar part, create a conversation between two guitars.
    That you hear what you would do, tells me that you understand that this conversation does take place in the singular. It is therefore by-width-standing [a little lawer lingo there that passes by, over even my head] that we should one day colaborate upon such an instrument conversation of quitars and see if the critiquers understand its speak.

Oh, bye the way...
    Thanks for the compliment,

JA
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1