S/PDIF interface problem, no lock

Author
dkohles
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
2005/11/04 09:57:56 (permalink)

S/PDIF interface problem, no lock

I have not been able to interface my Lexicon MPX-1 with my Aardvark LX-6 card using the S/PDIF ports provided on the MPX and The LX-6. The Lex manual states that it will only except a 44.1Kb/s clock which I have accomodated, at least I think I have. The LX-6 is handeling 44.1 audio from SONAR 3 just fine until I select the SPDIF option on the card GUI which changes audio input 3&4 to SPDIF returns. The MPX is configured to look for an external digital clock and to send digital audio out the SPDIF port. The MPX refuses to sync to the XL-6 send and indicates a no lock state message. In this state it appears that I also can not pass audio out channels 1&2 on the XL-6.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dick Kohles

“There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.” Duke Ellington

9 Replies Related Threads

GraceNoteX
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 10:23:09 (permalink)
    I have an MPX-1, and my experience is that it never likes receiving SPDIF clock from other devices. It works best to set the MPX-1's clock to Internal and set the other device's clock (soundcard, upstream FX, etc. - in your case the LX-6) to External.

The MPX-1 is an awesome effects box, but when it comes to SPDIF, it is a control freak and doesn't play well with others unless it is allowed to generate the clock. For me that's a little limiting since we often set up complex SPDIF FX chains, and I like the flexibility of having any device generate clock.

Dan
    Cyber Zen Sound Engine
    WWW.Cyber-Zen.com
    dkohles
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 10:28:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Dan,

I thought I was just loosing my mind, or what's left of it anyway. When I get home tonight I'll try
    your suggestions out. Thank's again for your response.

Dick

Dick Kohles

jim y
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 11:44:22 (permalink)
    This might never work.

If both the card and FX only accept s/pdif input when in external mode, it can't work. they can't both be clock slaves, one must be master.

It's unusual for a pro cards s/pdif input to work under the cards internal clock, it would have to re-sample the s/pdif input to work. Ironically, I think an Audigy would work because it's s/pdif input does resample to it's internal clock.
    GraceNoteX
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 12:23:40 (permalink)
    Hi Jim,

I wasn't answering theoretically on this one. We have an MPX-1, and I'm very familiar with its SPDIF weirdness (I was really shocked Lexicon stumbled on SPDIF on this model), although I don't have an LX-6, so I could be wrong about its characteristics.

If both the card and FX only accept s/pdif input when in external mode, it can't work. they can't both be clock slaves, one must be master.

You're right, both can't be in external, the sound card would have to be External clock and the MPX-1 set to Internal.

It's unusual for a pro cards s/pdif input to work under the cards internal clock

Hmmm, that differs from my experience. Our MOTU 2408 has no problem being either the Master or the Slave clock, and I'd consider it a "pro card." And all of the other "pro cards" I've worked with have no problem with either mode, so I'd be surprised if the LX-6 did (but then again, I was VERY surprised that an MPX-1 would be so finicky about SPDIF as well - the MPX-1 drove us crazy until we found out everyone was having problems with its SPDIF implementation and that allowing it to generate clock almost always clears up the problem).

In fact, we use an MAudio SPDIF patchbay and have some pretty complicated SPDIF chains set up, and the the soundcards we work with have no problem in either clock mode, even in these setups. But the MPX-1 has problems in External mode whether we go through the pachbay or make a direct connection.

Dan
    Cyber Zen Sound Engine
    WWW.Cyber-Zen.com

b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 13:00:29 (permalink)
    That's why I use a Dedicated Aardvark Wordclock Generator & Distribution Units. I also have had issues when SPDIF doesn't have an in & an out... Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    dkohles
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 13:44:54 (permalink)
    I also have had issues when SPDIF doesn't have an in & an out... Wildman

Is that the problem with the LX-6? I think you are probably right, I could not find a choice for clock in the LX-6. As the manual says..the LX-6 is always sending SPDIF out the connector. It does not refer to a slave option;<

Thanks for the information, might have to work out one of those weird analog solutions.

Dick Kohles

b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/04 13:50:31 (permalink)
    That's probobly contributing. What was mentioned earlier should work by using the LX-6 as the Master & God willing the others are willing to sync...Wildman

Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    jim y
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/05 06:59:30 (permalink)
    Sorry, I think the Lynx must have a "re-clocking" circuit so it doesn't have to be set on External to recieve s/pdif input, hence no option. The M-audio, Esi etc stuff does have to be external sync. My assunption of what is "pro" is aimed somewhat low ;)

You're left with the basic fact that the Lexicon won't lock.

I'd be tempted to put a 'scope on the Lex input. Should be a sine wave at least 300mV peak-peak with no DC offset. Then you know it ought to work. - there may be a detector trimmer in the Lexicon that hasn't been set properly.

b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: S/PDIF interface problem, no lock 2005/11/05 07:02:21 (permalink)
    That sounds like a good suggestion Jim. I'd of thought that card could be master or slave?? Wildman

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1