SPDIF mixer

Author
fpierz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2005/10/11 10:12:25 (permalink)

SPDIF mixer

I have an M-Audio 2496 card in my PC that has analog audio, SPDIF, and MIDI inputs and outputs. The preamps that I run mics and instruments into also have analog an SPDIF inputs. I'm currently running everything into an analog mixer and then into the analog inputs of the 2496 card.

I've been recording some tracks lately by running a cable directly from the SPDIF output of a preamp directly into my 2496 card. I've been very pleased with results and would like to use this method of wiring for all my preamps. Unfortunately, I have to go in the back of my rack pull the cable out of the preamp I was using and plug it into the preamp I want to use.

I've been looking for a mixer that handles SPDIF inputs so that I can wire everything together, but I'm not having much luck. I've check out all the usual suspects and about all I can find are big digital mixers with even bigger price tags.

All I'm looking for is a 4 or 6 channel zone mixer that can handle SPDIF input and output. I'm beginning to think such a thing doesn't exist. If anyboy knows of such a thing I would be very interested in knowing who makes it. I hope I'm not doomed to switching cables all the time.

Thanks in advance.
Fred

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: SPDIF mixer 2005/10/11 10:55:49 (permalink)
    There is a problem with using digital interfaces like SPDIF. Unlike analog where you can just plug them in and have it work, when you use a digital interface you must also engineer a way for all devices to work from the same sample rate clock. If you don't do this you will get pops and clicks as the devices get out of sync. So unless all your devcies have a word clock input and you have a way to distribute clock to all of them it doesn't work. This is why you don't see SPDIF mixers because there is no easy way to solve that problem. This also limits you to only work at a sample rate all the devices can do.

For this reason digital interfaceing only works well with two deivices at a time. The sound card is one device and the preamp is the second device. Because SPDIF is single direction this means if you only connect the SPDIF out of the preamp to the SPDIF in of the sound card the sample rate clock in the preamp has to be the master and you have to set the sound card to get clock from the preamp.

So, unless you spend a lot of money and do a lot of engineering you can't use more then one SPDIF device at a time.

Big studios that try to use more then one digital device have a rack mount unit that does nothing but word clock and it has many word clock outputs on it for all the digital devices like the digial mixer, outboard converters, effects, synths, recorders, etc. Even with this expensive setup you run the risk of errors in the system. Unlike computer interfaces all digital audio interfaces SPDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, TDIFF, etc are non error checking and single direction per wire. So if have errors there is no way it can correct them or resend samples. You may not even hear the errors most of the time but they are there.

So analog is the way to go if you need more then two connections. If you need better quality upgrade your sound card to a Lynx that has high quality converters and balanced analog inputs.
    post edited by ohhey - 2005/10/11 11:05:08
    Zlartibartfast
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 820
    RE: SPDIF mixer 2005/10/12 14:20:09 (permalink)
    these are getting scarce, but I'm glad I got mine Fer Shure:
    Roland M1000
    real-time sample rate conversion, analog and digital inputs, supports word clock *master or slave) and hold on to your butts - 96KHz though the USB port!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1