SSD Caddy

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2018/08/31 09:43:12 (permalink)

SSD Caddy

After the idea of getting an SSD, I thought about putting the HD into a CD ROM caddy in my laptop. For some reason I got it into my head, that the Operaing system should be in the main Memory slot, so the SSD should go there, and the Expanded memory into the CDROM slot.

Is this switch unnecessary? Should I just transfer the operating system and programs the SSD, and put it into Caddy? Then Boot and run these processes from the CDROM slot?

Thinking further, I guess their is no need to remove the system from the HD (except to create more space), I could keep on both should one have an issue.

7 Replies Related Threads

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/01 00:40:41 (permalink)
    One thing is to keep in mind is that you may have issues with the BIOS if both drives have a bootable OS on them.

I have heard it is always a good practice to boot the system with only the SSD connected at least for the first time after making the swap, so the BIOS can detect the new hardware and boot partition correctly.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Kamikaze
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/01 03:44:12 (permalink)
    Ahh ok, actually not something I want, so I'll have to bear that in mind, so good to know.

Any idea about whether both slots are equal, or is that going to vary.

Here's my predicament. I had to replace the keyboard after ants caused damage.  I picked up a pair of 8Gb ram in the UK, so installed them all at the same time. But wouldn't boot after. Then wouldn't even power. HP say it's needs a new Mainboard and the DC in needs changing (The main computer shop kind of mashed it up dealing with a charging issue 2 years ago). Having maxed the RAM, the only thing that can make the laptop better is an SSD. As it's going to be 2-4 weeks for the new part, maybe now while it's all open I can sawp the HD for the SSD and install the caddy. Before HP close it, add their stickers for warranty on the new board. With teh Caddy I can add the SSD without opening it up.

I guess I could just swap the HD for the SSD, then use the caddy to add the HD back in after it's first boot.

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/01 20:21:18 (permalink)
    If two drives are physically connected and both have active boot partitions at boot time, it could get interesting.

The typical procedure to convert a system drive from HDD to SSD:
    1. Use a cable to attach the new drive via USB to SATA adapter on a laptop (or it can be a SATA data cable from internal SATA ports + SATA power on a desktop).
    2. Run the disk cloning software to make an exact copy of your internal drive on the SSD.  The new drive must be equal to, or larger in size, than the original.
    3. Physically swap the SSD in place and boot from the new drive.

If all looks good, you can then wipe the original HDD and use it as a secondary drive.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Kamikaze
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/02 02:53:27 (permalink)
    Any idea on whether both slots for the drives are equal? Does it matter if the SSD in in the HD slot of the DVD slot?

I can't start my machine. So I am figuring I'd have to put the SSD into a caddy, and that into my old laptop (Years old, bt does work), then the HD into a USB caddy and transfer from there.

AntManB
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/10 13:13:20 (permalink)
    abacab

2. Run the disk cloning software to make an exact copy of your internal drive on the SSD.  The new drive must be equal to, or larger in size, than the original.

You can actually clone to a smaller disk as long as it has enough capacity to store the data.  Macrium Reflect (even the free edition) will let you shrink partitions during the cloning.

AMB

Kamikaze
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/10 13:19:38 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to clone to a smaller drive, I can't afford a 1TB SSD.

Hey Antman, do you know if it matters if I put the SSD in the DVD caddy and run the operation system from there. Or is their a reason to run the operation system from the same slot as the HD is currently sitting?

Kamikaze
    Re: SSD Caddy 2018/09/10 13:21:15 (permalink)
    I'm also concerned that changing the mainboard (for the same type) and the Harddirve will throw authorizations with Windows, and some of the audio software.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1