Helpful ReplySSD not recognised

Author
SGodfrey
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
2016/12/21 11:44:08 (permalink)

SSD not recognised

I bought an SSD and caddy to replace the optical drive in my Windows 10 laptop.  Put it all together and the SSD is not recognised - it doesn't even appear in Disk Management.  Obviously it could be a faulty caddy or SSD but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Asus X556UA-DM898T i7-7500U 8GB 1TB, Windows 10 Home
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/21 12:21:49 (permalink)
SGodfrey
I bought an SSD and caddy to replace the optical drive in my Windows 10 laptop.  Put it all together and the SSD is not recognised - it doesn't even appear in Disk Management.  Obviously it could be a faulty caddy or SSD but does anyone have any other suggestions?

The easiest way to test a SSD is to buy a cheap USB to SATA adapter cable, then plug the SSD drive into a USB port.

These are the cables that are usually supplied with a SSD migration kit for cloning a system HDD before SSD installation as the primary drive.

If that works, then determine if everything is connecting correctly via the caddy.  SATA drives need the SATA port connector + SATA power.  Make sure both are getting connected.  If your optical drive was SATA, then it should work if the SSD is good.

IMHO, cloning the HDD onto the external SSD, then swapping drives, using the HDD as the secondary drive would give you a better performance boost.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/21 13:53:39 (permalink)
Without a way to test the SSD separately (from the caddy), you can't know which device is faulty.

Do you have a desktop you can use to test/connect the SSD?

Short of that, you'll need to do as abacab suggests and use an adapter of some sort.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
abacab
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/21 14:14:21 (permalink)
JonD
Without a way to test the SSD separately (from the caddy), you can't know which device is faulty.

Do you have a desktop you can use to test/connect the SSD?

Short of that, you'll need to do as abacab suggests and use an adapter of some sort.

I think that the USB adapters can be had for $5 and a couple days for delivery.  But if you're in a hurry, you could pop out the HDD and insert the SSD in it's place, then power up and go into the BIOS to see if it's detected.  You could also try a test clean install of Windows onto the SSD at that point, or just boot from a bootable optical CD/DVD (Such as a Windows repair disk or Linux live disk) and test the SSD as an internal drive with some utilities.

SGodfrey
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/21 17:34:09 (permalink)
Thanks Guys,
Lots of useful tips there.  Firstly, the idea was to avoid buying the sata usb cable by putting the ssd straight into the caddy and into the optical drive, clone the main hard drive, then swap them over.  Then I'd have the SSD as my main drive and I could reformat the old drive (now in the caddy) at my leisure.  However, enough of the cheapskate, I've bitten the bullet and mail ordered the sata cable.
I thought about the suggestion of swapping the blank ssd for the hard drive as suggested abacab, but I don't have enough confidence about using the bios and the other problem is lack of time.  I was a bit concerned about your other point that the SSD needs power as well as the port connector.  The caddy has just one connector and so does the SSD (Crucial MX300 750GB).
Thanks again for your feedback, I will await the cable and let's see what happens.

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
Komplete 11 Ultimate, Kontrol S49, Maschine Jam, Mikro mk2, Arturia V Collection 4
abacab
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/21 18:07:05 (permalink)
SGodfrey
Thanks Guys,
Lots of useful tips there.  Firstly, the idea was to avoid buying the sata usb cable by putting the ssd straight into the caddy and into the optical drive, clone the main hard drive, then swap them over.  Then I'd have the SSD as my main drive and I could reformat the old drive (now in the caddy) at my leisure.  However, enough of the cheapskate, I've bitten the bullet and mail ordered the sata cable.
I thought about the suggestion of swapping the blank ssd for the hard drive as suggested abacab, but I don't have enough confidence about using the bios and the other problem is lack of time.  I was a bit concerned about your other point that the SSD needs power as well as the port connector.  The caddy has just one connector and so does the SSD (Crucial MX300 750GB).
Thanks again for your feedback, I will await the cable and let's see what happens.

My description of the SATA SSD connectors was based on placing a SSD in my tower PC case using the conventional separate data and power cables, rather than a caddy.

The optical drive bay caddy should present the necessary SATA connector pins for data and power to the SATA drive.

When I bought an external USB enclosure for a SATA 3.5" HDD, the internal connector (probably similar to your caddy) was a unified type bracket that had pins for the data and power connectors on the drive to plug into. Check that these are attached securely.  Try re-seating the drive.

It's also possible that something isn't making contact in this arrangement, so some process of elimination becomes necessary.  After you finish cloning the HDD and swapping the drives, you can try the HDD in the caddy .  That should tell you if the caddy is functional.  You already know the HDD is good

SGodfrey
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 01:51:42 (permalink)
As I was putting the caddy away for the time being, I noticed a tiny 3-way micro-switch beside the sata socket.  There's no documentation, any idea what it might be?  I wonder if it's related to power supply?

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
abacab
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 08:03:50 (permalink)
No idea.  Time to hit the web.  If the manufacturer site is no help, Tom's Hardware Forum is one place for builders to ask questions ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

For example, I tried this search term there [laptop drive caddy], and got this list of results:
http://www.tomshardware.com/s/laptop+drive+caddy/

Hatstand
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 597
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 08:43:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2016/12/22 13:02:37
There are other threads on this, but having done it myself recently, I have a tip which may be of use if you are cloning the main drive to make your new SSD the main drive.
After cloning successfully, turn off the pc, connect the SSD into the SATA port your original main drive was in leaving the old main drive disconnected.
Boot up and hopefully it should boot to the SSD. If not check the boot order in your bios.
Once you have booted successfully once, your should be able to shut down, reconnect your old main drive into another SATA port and reboot. It should boot from the SSD and you should be able to see your old main drive and reformat it if you want.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
SGodfrey
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 12:55:12 (permalink)
Hatstand
There are other threads on this, but having done it myself recently, I have a tip which may be of use if you are cloning the main drive to make your new SSD the main drive.
After cloning successfully, turn off the pc, connect the SSD into the SATA port your original main drive was in leaving the old main drive disconnected.
Boot up and hopefully it should boot to the SSD. If not check the boot order in your bios.
Once you have booted successfully once, your should be able to shut down, reconnect your old main drive into another SATA port and reboot. It should boot from the SSD and you should be able to see your old main drive and reformat it if you want.

Hi Hats
That was my exact plan, obviously great minds think alike!

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
SGodfrey
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 12:57:33 (permalink)
abacab
No idea.  Time to hit the web.  If the manufacturer site is no help, Tom's Hardware Forum is one place for builders to ask questions ...

For example, I tried this search term there [laptop drive caddy], and got this list of results:

Thanks Abacab
That looks useful.  I will have a good look through in the next couple of days.
Cheers,
Simon

Sonar Platinum x64
Cakewalk UA-25EX
abacab
Re: SSD not recognised 2016/12/22 13:08:08 (permalink)
SGodfrey
abacab

Thanks Abacab
That looks useful.  I will have a good look through in the next couple of days.
Cheers,
Simon

Good luck!

I think Hatstand gives some great advice above.  I recall reading about issues like that when I was getting ready to install my SSD.  I don't really know why, but some system's BIOS seem to have difficulty at first with boot when two drives are attached and one is SSD, the other HDD.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1