SSL makes great gear

Author
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
2011/01/28 11:03:29 (permalink)

SSL makes great gear

So why does their sales guy have to resort to misleading misinformation to get us to buy they stuff?

Last night I went to an SSL 'seminar' where they had set up most of their gear, all the way up to the flagship Duality. We also got to look at a production truck with a C200. I got to play around with both of those for a while and I like!

But then the VP of sales starts talking about the hybrid digital/analog approach and why you need an analog summing box. He talks about dither and blames it for why digital summing is bad--all the while completely misrepresenting what dither is and does. Then he plays a mix that was done in the box, and then one that was sent out to an SSL analog mixer--I forget which one, and their website isn't very friendly for finding stuff.

The OTB mix was obviously better than the ITB mix. (even so, someone in the audience preferred the ITB.) The OTB was a lot wider and had much greater clarity.  Now, I've done some summing box tests of my own, using all sorts of mixers from a Dangerous to a  Mackie.  (SSL guy specifically said not to use a mackie for analog summing) I could not make my ITB mix sound worse than the OTB mix. Different, of course, but one was never conclusively better or worse than the other. (and of course, some will say I'm deaf if I admit that...) The differences just outlined the tradeoffs between the approaches.

This SSL ITB mix was obviously inferior. (to most of us there, with a few exceptions) So either SSL is incompetent at doing an ITB mix, or the sales guy is shoveling something and blaming it on dither. Dither! And he also brought up the classic "analog is infinite but digital has steps" lie. I have my opinion on the matter. What you y'all think it is?

I mean really! SSL gear is top notch. Why must the sales guy do that? Is he so poor at sales that he can't sell the stuff on its own genuine merits?

The worst part is that there were a bunch of students there from the local university recording program. I can only hope that their teacher is knowledgeable enough to counteract this pack of propaganda.

7 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 11:50:07 (permalink)

SSL has changed hands so many times in the past few years that it has almost become a commodity.

nuff said... on my part.

I hate hearing people spout bull-speak.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 11:54:22 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I hate hearing people spout bapu-speak.

Fixed?

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 12:21:23 (permalink)
    Any technical discussion of analog vs. (floating point) digital summing will inevitably lead to the conclusion that digital summing is more "accurate" (meaning lower noise and distortion) than even the best analog summing.

You can argue that analog summing subjectively sounds better, but "it sounds better, even though technically it's noisier and more distorted" is not as easy to sell as (the completely inaccurate) "there's something wrong with that there digital summing".

Since there's so much ignorance and ridiculously inaccurate mythology regarding digital audio, every summing box I have ever seen doesn't tell the whole truth in their marketing.

I'm not saying digital is perfect or preferable to analog in this or any other application, but there are real problems and limitations with both analog and digital audio. The issue with digital is so many people know much more mythology than reality.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 15:18:14 (permalink)
    but there are real problems and limitations with both analog and digital audio.

Agreed. And in the beginning of the SSL presentation, the other guy who was there (who gave a very nice history of the company) said the same thing and promised to outline the pros and cons of each and SSLs approach to both. "Hooray!" I thought. Finally, a company that does both and makes both kinds of gear that will give a nice overview of them both.

How wrong I was. How quickly it turned into...

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 17:29:50 (permalink)
    Think maybe that the ITB mix was "tainted" in order to sell equipment?

Craig DuBuc
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 17:34:51 (permalink)
    Yeah did they not use the UAD SSL plug in suite?

:-)

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:SSL makes great gear 2011/01/28 17:46:35 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Yeah did they not use the UAD SSL plug in suite?

:-)

Why would they when everybody knows now that Pro-Channel is 20-40% better?

Just use your ears for the proof!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1