STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched!

Author
brendantownsend
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2006/08/11 18:47:37 (permalink)

STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched!

I placed an order for Dimension Pro on 2nd August, as I wanted it for another project that I am working on. However, Dimension is not the only suitable synth out there, though as a Cakewalk customer I gave them my continued customer loyalty.

10th of August (yesterday - eight days later) I contacted cakewalk by phone who confirmed that it was all set to ship on that day and that I would receive Emailed tracking advice. Incidentally this was after I had first tried contacting them via their website - without reply.

Close of business on 11th and still nothing from Cakewalk, and I'm just left hanging in the dark. It's not the cheapest way to keep phoning them from the UK either - simply because they apparently can't be asked to reply to repreated enquiries.

Are Cakewalk sales always so painfully slow or un-responsive?

I would be interested to know whether delays in dispatching Dimension Pro is/was a common experience for others here?

I can't help but wonder if there's one rule for inland sales and another for overseas sales (i.e. UK in my case).

Many thanks,

Brendan.
post edited by brendantownsend - 2006/08/11 19:17:13

16 Replies Related Threads

awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/11 22:46:58 (permalink)
    I can't say for Dimension Pro, but I ordered Sonar 5 SE on Tuesday and I got it today (Friday).
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 04:05:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Awilki01

Interesting that.

I phoned them again yesterday and the answer (from, it has to be said, a very charming and polite telephonist) was this...

"Our records say that it has been dispatched, but there isn't a tracking number, so we can't say whether it's actually been shipped or not"
    I was asked to wait and see if it turns up, and if it doesn't then to get back to them again.

I would have cancelled and ordered from Edirol (UK) but they're not offering the preferential price for existing Sonar customers, and typically it's at the Rip-Off-Britain price of a mere £169 (full-price), as opposed to £99 (full price) from Cakewalk.

Therefore, can anyone suggest a good/better alternative to Dimension Pro please (price not particularly important - I just need a similar professional application so that I can move on).

Many thanks,

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 05:30:04 (permalink)
    Apparently living outside the U.S. can be hit or miss w/the cakewalk online store. Theres a nice little rant in the SONAR forum. Which BTW the SONAR forum seems to be the place to voice your opinion on such matters if you want to be heard. I feel your pain, it shouldn't be that hard to order some software.

have a good one
    3Eo
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 05:54:50 (permalink)
    Thanks 3EO.

It's human nature to want to publicly vent frustrations, but all I'm really interested in is just getting something that I can use and run with.

I've noted your interesting comment regarding the Cakewalk ordering lottery - particularly as it's not only me (I was beginning to think that perhaps I was being unreasonable or just unlucky). A pity though as I had developed quite a preferential bias towards Cakewalk.

I'm sure I'll manage to get something in the end

All user suggestions of professional alternatives to Dimension Pro remain very welcome.

Best regards,

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    VaporCom
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 10:48:45 (permalink)
    Brendan,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have only had good experience with ordering from Cake. I would tell you to hold out for DP if you can. It is a great title. Best of luck.
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 12:41:34 (permalink)
    Thanks VaporCom.

I would certainly like to get my hands on DP as my experience of other Cakewalk products suggests that this would be a very beneficial addition to my setup. However, having read the many rants elsewhere about international customer support and shipping problems it suggests that if you ordered an international shipment and received the product in good time with the minimum of fuss, then you were lucky.

I'm going to hold out until Monday and will finally telephone Cakewalk for a third time, which I am having to do to get any sort of response as Cakewalk have not answered any of my repeat (polite) enquiries via their website. Should I not get positive indication of a shipment (complete with tracking information which is what I was told I could expect of all shipped products) then I'll have no option to cancel my order.

I honestly don't understand this at-all, but with musical projects to progress and limited time, plus the possible indication of the poor quality customer support that I might receive for future Cakewalk products/upgrades, I'm now starting to look at alternative products.

Such a pity

All the best,

Brendan.

vOidvOice
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 14:20:53 (permalink)
    I ordered mine on the 1st ,it arrived on the 10th. Took 2-3 days to clear Canadian customs, sat in a warehouse for a weekend. So It will probably arrive late next week or the week after. FedEd handled my shipping so I assume its the same for you, they're not the fastest but once you get the tracking number you can follow it right home.
    Cake sent a email with order # Customer ID # and tracking number once it was shipped which was 2 days after the order was placed.

I'd wait for DPro it was much better than I was expecting. Then add the expansion pack. You can't beat the price or the contents

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 15:36:19 (permalink)
    some of the best support is right here - 24/7. René is answering queries today, as you can see. I wouldn't worry about tech support to much since it is mostly online emails, so it makes no difference where you are.

I dont' know what is with international delivery. I sent some Cds out last Tues and they got to england (sorry, Scotland) Thursday/Friday. Cake used to have Roland handling overseas, but that didn't work out too well.

Hang in there and keep pestering Cake.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 15:49:07 (permalink)

Thanks AT, vOidvOice,

I really do hope that I'll get my DP in the end, as someone has yet to suggest an alternative and all DP users are extolling its virtues.

Hopefully Cakewalk will be able to confirm shipment following my third telephone call to them on Monday. Much more of this fiasco and I'll lose out in call charges and lost productivity, and there's so many threads about Cakewalks poor treatment of overseas customers it's rather difficult to ignore.

Now c'mon Cakewalk - what exactly have your loyal overseas paying customers done to make you despise us so much, hmmm?

All the best,

Brendan.

Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 16:05:37 (permalink)
    Brendan --

My daughter was at school in London last year, and packages disappeared several times into a "customs black hole" on the way to her from the States.
    Not to mention the customs tariffs .... I sent her a laptop RAM upgrade; customs/shipping combined literally doubled the cost of the RAM. (Next time I'll order from a UK source for UK delivery...)

I got my DimPro upgrade about 4 working days after I ordered it, but that was just Boston -> NY. Hopefully yours won't be too much longer.

Best of luck --

Jim
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 16:26:48 (permalink)

Hi Jim.

Now don't get me started on UK customs charges

They don't just charge VAT on the product price... oh no...

You'll perhaps recall Customs charge £*** + Other charge £*** + "duty" charge £*** + VAT £*** (Duty and VAT are not the same apparently!).

...and then, as you have paid for a UK customs "service", VAT on their service charge as-well! I recently bought a used V-Synth from the USA and calculated the import VAT at a tad over £125. Total charge by Customs = £187 !!!

Anyway, my decision to by Dimension Pro from Cakewalk (instead of UK distributors Edirol) was that Cakewalk were offering the Cakewalk User deal of $69, whereas their UK distributor Edirol (typically) were not running the special offer and were (are) charging £169 - equivalent to $320 !!!

See Edirol Dimension Pro Price Page.

It didn't take me long to figure that no-matter what the customs charges and fees on top of fees, I should still make a considerable saving from the ROB price

I just hope that those savings are not consumed by international telephone calls to Cakewalk as, with multiple (polite) attempts to-date, Cakewalk's website customer enquiry form appears to disappear down that same "black hole" you mentioned.

All the best,

Brendan.

Jim Wright
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 18:20:27 (permalink)
    So ..... if we follow up on John Cleese's recent suggestion**, could we get rid of the tariffs?
    Or, do the same problems happen with commerce between Canada and the U.K. ?

**(Apparently from John Cleese)

Brits Revoke USA Independence

A Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America:

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect: You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix ize will be replaced by the suffix ise. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up vocabulary).

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize. You will relearn your original national anthem, God Save The Queen.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

8. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

9. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

11. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

12. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

13. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable.

15. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

16. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

17. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper cups, never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; strawberries in season.

Thank you for your co-operation

It would certainly add a new Dimension to world politics....
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 18:33:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim - I reaaly needed a laugh.

I hope that our American cousins here don't take offence at this - this is just typical English humour, and John epitomises the characteristics of the more diverse Englishman. Mind-you, I now wonder how long it would take if he were waiting for Dimension Pro to be shipped from the USA

Thanks again - very funny.

Brendan.

Jim Wright
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 19:11:15 (permalink)
    Well, I'm American, and John Cleese is pretty much a patron saint in our household (my daughters adore him). He gave the commencement address when my nephew graduated from U.C. Santa Cruz several years ago -- it was priceless (and chock full of appropriate wisdom, strangely enough). Of course, my wife and I have been fans since before the killer rabbits were trying to rouse the Norwegian Blue.

As for other Americans taking offence -- a lot of us are pretty offended about rather different things, these days.
    Hopefully this will become evident during the elections this coming November....

Best,

Jim
    brendantownsend
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/12 19:25:26 (permalink)

Good on yer Jim - Kudos to you mate

I think (internationally) we all look forward to November though

Best wishes,

Brendan.

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: STILL waiting for Dimension Pro to be dispatched! 2006/08/13 01:07:27 (permalink)
    Brendan,

check the thread in the SONAR forum. Somebody figured out a way to trick the online store into doing what Cakewalk had intended it to do.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1