SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CSW
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 156
2016/06/13 23:41:09 (permalink)

SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-)

Hi Group,

This is gonna be a "Big Big Hit" ...... well in my truck anyway! Bwaaaa

Crank the crap out of this one please!

https://soundcloud.com/us...mer-drivin-rock-n-roll

Summer Drivin' Rock and Roll  Lyrics

Intro:
Summer Drivin' Rock and Roll on the radio.......

1st Verse: 
Woke up this morning, my fingers were burnin'...
ya know that I gotta get back,

To that screamin' machine where you know that I'm King,
believe me baby I'll take up the slack,

Headed for the beach I got this song in my head,
Don't know who plays it, forgot what he said,

But I know one thing, It's sounds really slick,
If I can recall it goes like this.....

Chorus:
Summer Drivin' Rock n Roll on the Radio,
It'll pull ya thru,
It'll reach down inside your soul and grab ahold of you
Just let yourself go......
Warm breeze blowin' thru your hair,
Close your eyes, take a breath, enjoy the fresh air,
Hold on tight 'cause we're goin' for a ride.... me and you!

Verse 2:
As I got close to my destination,
the crowd began to cheer,

That kick ass song swept across the nation,
A rock n' roll anthem for all to hear,

Headed for the beach I got this song in my head,
Don't know who plays it, forgot what he said,

But I know one thing, It's sounds really slick,
If I can recall it goes like this.....

Chorus:
Summer Drivin' Rock n Roll on the Radio,
It'll pull ya thru,
It'll reach down inside your soul and grab ahold of you
Just let yourself go......
Warm breeze blowin' thru your hair,
Close your eyes, take a breath, enjoy the fresh air,
Summer Drivin' Rock n Roll on the radio....

Lead GTR:
Break:
Outro:
Voc. Improv
Fadout

post edited by CSW - 2016/07/09 14:08:15

34 Replies Related Threads

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/13 23:48:53 (permalink)
    SWeet!  ya that's definitely .38 special.  :D
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/14 09:04:14 (permalink)
    Another really nice mix, and you've definitely got a "style". Great job!

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/14 14:47:44 (permalink)
    OK... are you sure this wasn't already a rock n' roll hit on the radio?   

Rather than repeat the same ole "great writing/performance/arrangement/mix" comments from your other songs, I will just say that I thought this was really well done.      

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Guitarpima
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/14 21:29:48 (permalink)
    Nice mix. The vocals could come down just a bit. You can check the level in mono to get an idea as well as checking the mix at a low volume.

Nice song and great vox!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/14 23:58:40 (permalink)
    eph221
    SWeet!  ya that's definitely .38 special.  :D

Ok.... 38 special it is.... minus 30 million albums;-)

CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 00:02:36 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Another really nice mix, and you've definitely got a "style". Great job!

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan,
    I can't seem to escape the style..... to hell with it.... I'm gonna embrace it and try to write some new stuff.

I lowered the overall vocal level  (Lead 1.5 db and back ups 1.9 db) on Guitarpima's suggestion  and uploaded again.  If you get the time let me know if the balance is better...   

Craig
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 00:04:46 (permalink)
    Guitarpima
    Nice mix. The vocals could come down just a bit. You can check the level in mono to get an idea as well as checking the mix at a low volume.

Nice song and great vox!

Appreciate the kind words about the song.....

Ok..... I lowered the lead voc 1.5db and back ups 1.9db. Checked it in mono and  they seem more balanced.
    Can you tell a difference?

Craig
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 00:31:03 (permalink)
    stevec
    OK... are you sure this wasn't already a rock n' roll hit on the radio?   

Rather than repeat the same ole "great writing/performance/arrangement/mix" comments from your other songs, I will just say that I thought this was really well done.      

Thank you Steve,

To be honest with you...... just recently this song actually caught the attention of a big name that's been around for a long time and he's toying around with it, with his production team. He either wants to record it or produce it.  These things usually never pan out and I'm past the point of getting my hopes up.

It's funny... sometimes when you listen back to your stuff it sounds like embarrassing crap and then other times it sounds great. I don't know if you go thru those gyrations about your stuff but in the end it's best to be true to yourself about it and just keep making music.   My biggest desire at this point it to write some new stuff that's more in line with what's going on in today's music.  I've got about 3 more tunes from the past to record at my desk and then with all the recording tricks I've learned I'm gonna try and "make up" some new stuff.  If you guys don't hear from me again after the next three you'll know what happened ;-)

Craig
    eph221
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 00:39:08 (permalink)
    Craig,

This IMMEDIATELY brought to mind all those breakfast club/brat pack movies with judd nelson, andrew mccarthy et al.  It would work great in a reunion type project.  Or maybe a *the big chill* but for gen x ers?
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 01:08:20 (permalink)
    eph221
    Craig,

This IMMEDIATELY brought to mind all those breakfast club/brat pack movies with judd nelson, andrew mccarthy et al.  It would work great in a reunion type project.  Or maybe a *the big chill* but for gen x ers?

It's like I've been sprayed by a skunk from the 1980's it's all over me... I can't wash it off AHHHRRRRGG

Actually, if  you listen to all of the songs I've posted so far think of this...... they could be used for an 80's play.....
    that's what my Girl says anyway.... Yea..... big chill type of thing.....good idea.

Speaking of period movies one of my favorites is  "Dazed and Confused". Good sound track! Mathew McConaughey's  character was classic......

Gosh I'm dating my self here but my very first concert was Cheap Trick and Kiss..... in 1976.
    Cheap Tricks first album was great. My favorite tune from that album was "Southern Girls"

Take care
    Craig 

dcumpian
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 08:32:04 (permalink)
    CSW
    eph221
    Craig,

It's like I've been sprayed by a skunk from the 1980's it's all over me... I can't wash it off AHHHRRRRGG

Actually, if  you listen to all of the songs I've posted so far think of this...... they could be used for an 80's play.....
    that's what my Girl says anyway.... Yea..... big chill type of thing.....good idea.

Speaking of period movies one of my favorites is  "Dazed and Confused". Good sound track! Mathew McConaughey's  character was classic......

Gosh I'm dating my self here but my very first concert was Cheap Trick and Kiss..... in 1976.
    Cheap Tricks first album was great. My favorite tune from that album was "Southern Girls"

Take care
    Craig 

Ha ha, don't feel bad. My first concert was The Fifth Dimension. Talk about dating myself...

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/15 14:44:38 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    CSW
    eph221
    Craig,

Take care
    Craig 

Ha ha, don't feel bad. My first concert was The Fifth Dimension. Talk about dating myself...

Dan

Totally OT, but...  my first concert was ELP, also in '76.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

eph221
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/22 15:25:02 (permalink)
    My first concert was Three Dog Night with Aerosmith opening.  Aerosmith was so loud I spent their whole set with a jacket over my head.  BTW Craig, I never said it, but you definitely are gifted  you are one of the few who really should (have) quit your day job and be a musician full time!  :D:D
    post edited by eph221 - 2016/06/22 15:52:08
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/22 15:51:34 (permalink)
    Craig,

Great track.    This sounds a little more 70's rock to me, except for the guitar solo, definitely 80's:)   The BGV's are a nice touch.    Very fun and uplifting song.

1st concert, Cheap Trick opened for Queen in Jan 1977 (A Day At the Races tour).   Awesome show.

Regards
    eph221
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/22 22:48:20 (permalink)
    markno999
    Craig,

Great track.    This sounds a little more 70's rock to me, except for the guitar solo, definitely 80's:)   The BGV's are a nice touch.    Very fun and uplifting song.

1st concert, Cheap Trick opened for Queen in Jan 1977 (A Day At the Races tour).   Awesome show.

Regards

Craig, 

you know the baby boomers are the only people left on earth who actually remember paying for music.  Maybe you should try to monetize some of your songs.  :D:D
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/23 11:19:32 (permalink)
    Catchy tune, good performances... sounds like a winner.  Listening to it the mix sounded just a tad hot to me.  If your running through a maximizer or limiter on the master, you may want to do a trial mix a notch lower and see how it sounds.  Just a thought.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/23 11:56:53 (permalink)
    Not that I'm any judge at all, but this really ought to be a hit, you've nailed it. That hook is just too good. If I had one crit it would be to edit the guitar solo a little, it started perfectly then went 'off on one', which is great and it's beautifully played, but this song needs to get straight back to that hook asap.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/23 12:02:41 (permalink)
    Great stuff Craig - checks all the boxes
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/24 20:49:37 (permalink)
    eph221
    My first concert was Three Dog Night with Aerosmith opening.  Aerosmith was so loud I spent their whole set with a jacket over my head.  BTW Craig, I never said it, but you definitely are gifted  you are one of the few who really should (have) quit your day job and be a musician full time!  :D:D

Dang... I appreciate that comment....  I sometimes wonder what would have been if I didn't quit cold turkey 20= years ago. My guitar playing would have gotten better over time and I would have taken a stab at writing more songs.
    What's cool about trying it 20 years later is that even if your stuff sucks you can still make it sound really good with a home computer, a decent mic and most any Daw software if you really work at it. That's great fun!

Craig
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/24 20:52:32 (permalink)
    markno999
    Craig,

Regards

I'll never forget listening to "We are the Champions" when if first came out. Damn we were lucky to be a part of that.... I mean really... the music of that time was amazing.... Freddy Mercury....talk about talent!

CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/24 21:01:51 (permalink)
    eph221
    markno999
    Craig,

Regards

Craig, 

you know the baby boomers are the only people left on earth who actually remember paying for music.  Maybe you should try to monetize some of your songs.  :D:D

You know what I'd like to see happen... maybe a Car commercial for "Summer Drivin" or some kind of a movie soundtrack kinda thing. Branding the songs to something popular is a good way to do it.
    I can't really be objective about them. I think if a song resonates with enough people there's really no stopping it.
              Unfortunately I don't think my songs are of that caliber. Listen to a song like "You'll be in My Heart" by Phill Collins and even though it was overplayed to death at one time it will still make you feel something very powerful inside. That is the magic element that is so elusive and so rare. How do you capture it? Where does it come from? Phil Collins is a song writing god for coming up with that tune.
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/24 21:04:30 (permalink)
    philz
    Catchy tune, good performances... sounds like a winner.  Listening to it the mix sounded just a tad hot to me.  If your running through a maximizer or limiter on the master, you may want to do a trial mix a notch lower and see how it sounds.  Just a thought.

Thanks.... you know.... now that I listen to it I think you are correct. I did make it too hot with that limiter.
    I'm gonna pull back on it see what it sounds like.
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/24 21:12:31 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    Not that I'm any judge at all, but this really ought to be a hit, you've nailed it. That hook is just too good. If I had one crit it would be to edit the guitar solo a little, it started perfectly then went 'off on one', which is great and it's beautifully played, but this song needs to get straight back to that hook asap.

Thanks for the kind words about the song.
    Yeah, The guitar gets a little carried away;-) What I'd really love to hear on this song is some rock piano or maybe some crunchy Deep Purple type keyboard decorations. One thing that I find difficult when putting together a song is getting it across the finish line with the right type of vocal improv and instrument decorations. Those types of little things that people latch on to. You can always usually sniff out something trite and contrived. Those kinds of decorations have to be truthful.I ask my girl Robin to help me with that kind of thing. She has some really good ideas in my opinion.  

BTW.... I listened to your stuff. It's really special. There's great truth and sincerity in the music you make.
    post edited by CSW - 2016/06/26 02:45:56
    Mr. torture
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/25 08:14:04 (permalink)
    I really like this song, well done! How did you do those harmony backups? They sound amazing!
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/26 02:12:32 (permalink)
    Mr. torture
    I really like this song, well done! How did you do those harmony backups? They sound amazing!

Thanks for liking the song.
    For the back up vocals on this song I used the following signal processing.....

**After getting the best performances I can (timing and pitch I melodyne lightly where needed)**

1) Each Track gets low pass eq-compression-high pass eq.   (Sonitus or Cakewalk Ca-2a compression)

2) Each Tack gets cloned with a real unison performance

3) The matching doubled tracks get panned left and right

4) Male and female backups get routed to their own buses with "BG Vocals 2 PX2" FX Preset on each bus
    (The Cakewalk VX 64 Vocal strip is really an unsung hero. A real gem in my opinion!)

5) Each Backup bus routed to "All Back ups" bus with a light application of a quality doubler plugin and final cakewalk bus compressor (1db gain reduction.)

That's the way I do it.  I like produced sounding backup vocals in my stuff.

Sonar has some really good  stock plugins in my opinion. The VX 64 Vocal strip is a real gem! Also the sonitus compressor which is supposedly "long in the tooth" is really good and doesn't use much cpu.

Craig

post edited by CSW - 2016/06/26 02:38:17
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/26 02:16:34 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    Great stuff Craig - checks all the boxes

Thank Daryl,

I meant to ask..... What is the "Blue Peter Competition Winner"

Craig
    Mr. torture
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/26 09:16:00 (permalink)
    Thanks Craig! Really cool process for doing backups. You said that you had big name interest in the song, do you go through a service to sell songs? How did you get hooked up with that? Sorry for all the questions!
    Mannynyagain
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/26 11:46:04 (permalink)
    Very cool on all levels - song itself, performances and arrangement. Those about have pretty much said it - I'll just say "enjoyed the tune a lot".  A hybrid Southern Rock  - Californian Rock sound to me years. Great job. A summer song for sure.

Hello from New York
    My Music 
    CSW
    Re: SUMMER DRIVIN' ROCK N ROLL NEW ORIGINAL! GOOD DRIVING SONG ;-) 2016/06/26 12:53:05 (permalink)
    Mr. torture
    Thanks Craig! Really cool process for doing backups. You said that you had big name interest in the song, do you go through a service to sell songs? How did you get hooked up with that? Sorry for all the questions!

My Girl is good friends with an 80's rockstar and that's basically my connection. Otherwise getting this song listened to by the even more famous guy that he knows would be impossible. If I were an ace songwriter I would be making a good living on writing songs with this connection. I literally have the ear of a very relevant industry heavyweight.

For what it's worth I really don't expect anything to come of it but at least they both like the stuff and liked the guitar playing. That made me feel pretty good. I'm not real crazy about the music landscape today although the production methods and sounds of bands like 5 Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed blow me away. The last songwriter/performer to really floor me was Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20) He's really something.

I find myself constantly sifting through the hit songs of the late 60's and 70's these days. There is so much genius in the way that those songs where produced and mixed. Clever use of the stereo field was so much more prevalent in those days with the limited equipment they had. These days most songs in Rock and metal are crafted to sound like what the old pro engineers call "Big Mono" Lots of compression and loudness. To be honest I like the sound of a lot of that stuff but I think it would be great to see the pendulum swing back away from the loudness trend.  I'm guilty of using brickwall limiters too while trying to get my mixes to sound like what I hear on the radio. I've been toying around with mixing for about 2 years and have a lot to learn about the craft.
    It's much more difficult than I ever imagined.

Craig

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1