* SYNC : Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring *

Author
bunnyfluffer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 674
2008/09/07 13:26:44 (permalink)

* SYNC : Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring *

Hey -

Anyone out there using Sonar to score film/tv projects? I'd love to compare notes with you on system set up and configuration for writing to picture. I've just been asked to do several projects (one short and one feature). I'd love to be able to connect with other folks working with Sonar in this way.

Sonar PE 6.2.1 XP Pro
4 cores at 2ghz
4gb ram
rme 96/52 : Rosetta 800

I've been digitizing video into Sonar using a freeware app from DVD through a canopus box. I reset sync in sonar alligning audio 2pop to visual. My output from sonar is also the canopus advc110.

Is there a "frame advance" feature in Sonar? Do you experience any sync issues (sync sliding over time?).

I am currently writing to picture in sonar and then transferring stereo mixes to final cut pro where I create the playout DVD for the director. I'm getting a pro-tools LE rig for my mac so I can also do music editing on the layback/playback.

Sound about right?

-b

post edited by bunnyfluffer - 2008/09/08 13:56:21

17 Replies Related Threads

lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 15:30:02 (permalink)
    yes, ive done (and am doing) quite a bit of work like this.
    sync sliding: yes. therefore i chop the videos into just the sizes i need in vegas before they go into sonar.
    digitizing. never needed to do it. like these last two documentaries i am scoring, i got them on a hard disk :)

UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 16:21:42 (permalink)
    bunnyfluffer, there was a thread about mixing for film with Sonar a while back. There are some suggestions in that thread for composing to film with Sonar.

UnderTow
    danlou1984
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 16:34:04 (permalink)
    I'm working in TV and Film and just switched to sonar 7 from cubase. Would be good to speak to you about it more...

Dan
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 22:55:53 (permalink)
    hey mr fluffer of bunnies

I have a similar-ish setup and have been doing scoring work with it - if memory serves you are already familiar with some of it... whether the system will handle the workload of course depends on how crazy you like to get - my 4 gig quad setup has done me well on some pretty full-bore orchestral work as well as some more complex synth-heavy stuff, but if I really go for it I can overload the poor beast. It's only human... err....

I haven't noticed drift really but I have had the whole system just sometimes play out of sync, like a half second, and then somehow correct itself when I stop and start again... annoying but hasn't stopped me yet. I have noticed that some video codecs will cause the system to be extremely sluggish with panning and zooming around using my Contour Shuttle and/or AlphaTrack jogstrip - kind of a drag, so to speak, but somehow i never manage to isolate exactly which codecs cause the problem and which are fine. Using the mouse is almost always fairly stable but I rather like the tactile control of the other devices, which is why I bought them after all... in fact scoring is a particularly useful context to use them in. I wish I weren't so video-challenged...

I don't know about a frame advance in Sonar per se but I've been able to use the Contour Shuttle jog wheel to do it rather nicely, if you don't have a control surface with wheel functionality I highly recommend checking it out - very simple, stable, portable, configurable, works with every application imaginable.

I have also found it useful / necessary to split longer projects up into manageable chunks for composition, then reassemble bounced mixes over the full length video.

You're way ahead of me on the technical front of video, digitizing and delivery, so I won't comment on that - as with Lavoll I have been receiving and delivering straight-up files so far, usually remotely - pan-continental collaboration is the name of the game!

have fun and remember to post in the Good News sticky when projects get released - I'd love to hear some of your work!

t

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    dexterflex
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 23:40:29 (permalink)
    Why do you guys use vegas and final cut pro? I thought sonar can load videos. Or do you guys just use those programs because you are sent a film that is to long and you want to split it?
    bunnyfluffer
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 23:44:16 (permalink)
    hey group -

great to meet you all. awesome.

I'm hoping there are more people using Sonar for scoring to picture. I'd love to be able to troubleshoot with others.

My biggest struggle at the moment is SYNC. I have had the exact problem as listed below by Subtlearts.

The feature long project is the problem - as there are many cues, at different tempos, that need to be recorded.

The way I'm approaching it is that I crreate/rename the project each time I begin a new cue 1m1, 1m2, 1m3, etc...

Each project is specifically for each cue (as each one points to the same video source file). The problem is - if I change the tempo I have to resync the entire project. Not the end of the world, but a pain in the ass. Is there a way to lock audio to the video in sync in sonar?

I'm having TWO sync issues.

First, is the project loosing sync between the video and the video's audio tracks when I change tempo. This does not happen in protools.

Second, is the audio and video running out of sync over the duration of a feature - which makes it impossible to do laybacks from Sonar.

Both of these issues are big professional barriers, serious users.

The system holds sync for each cue, no problem but over extended time it drifts - so I could not use sonar to assemble all the stereo cues into one continuous project - and I don't know if there is a way to output audio to the Canopus AVC110 via firewire. It appears the PC only allows one audio output source and that would be my RME.

ORIGINAL: subtlearts
    I haven't noticed drift really but I have had the whole system just sometimes play out of sync, like a half second, and then somehow correct itself when I stop and start again... annoying but hasn't stopped me yet.

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/07 23:46:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dexterflex

Why do you guys use vegas and final cut pro? I thought sonar can load videos. Or do you guys just use those programs because you are sent a film that is to long and you want to split it?

I use Vegas Video because I also have to edit multiple tracks of video. So since its more than just prepare audio for the video I need something that helps me prepare the video too.

However, I prefer to work my audio in SONAR so I usually fine tune the audio in SONAR.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

dexterflex
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 00:04:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NYSR

I use Vegas Video because I also have to edit multiple tracks of video. So since its more than just prepare audio for the video I need something that helps me prepare the video too.

However, I prefer to work my audio in SONAR so I usually fine tune the audio in SONAR.

Thanks for the reply. So just so I'm clear when you say edit tracks for video is that the music or the actual video itself?
    bunnyfluffer
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 01:20:52 (permalink)
    re: Music Editing

yes - this is just editing the stereo mixdown music TO the picture. the picture is still locked.

when a composer scores to picture, it is usually cue by cue.

this is usually not the app used to preview the cues to picture.

each cue is usually mixed down to stereo or 5.1 (depending on delivery requirement)

the mixed cue is then inserted to the locked picture and further edited/adjusted to picture.

I use final cut pro because it locks sync for layback for all cues in a single continuous output.

-tbf
    danlou1984
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 02:59:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bunnyfluffer

First, is the project loosing sync between the video and the video's audio tracks when I change tempo. This does not happen in protools.

Second, is the audio and video running out of sync over the duration of a feature - which makes it impossible to do laybacks from Sonar.

Both of these issues are big professional barriers, serious users.

That scares me, maybe you should ask cakewalk about that. I would like to see some more support for the video side of things in sonar 8
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 07:37:15 (permalink)

I am currently writing to picture in sonar and then transferring stereo mixes to final cut pro where I create the playout DVD for the director. I'm getting a pro-tools LE rig for my mac so I can also do music editing on the layback/playback.

Sound about right?

-b

Hey BF,

The only thing I do differently then what you've mentioned, is that I usually edit the cue first and then export it into SONAR. The advantage of doing it that way (for me anyway) is that when I make a new musical edit or mix, I can just make changes to the music without having to do any video editing every single time. This is situation dependant of course.

As for using SONAR for scoring, I couldn't really say what it's pros and cons are (other than the previously mentioned sync issue with tempo changes) since it's the only app I'v ever used for this!
    UnderTow
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 08:45:43 (permalink)

Have you tried changing the clips time base? CTRL-A to select all clips then right click on any audio clip and select "Clip properties" from the menu. Change the Time Base from Music to Absolute (SMPTE). You might also have to tick the "Lock" parameter.

I have not tried this myself but I think it is worth exploring. I have no idea how groove loops will react to this.

Could this be a video codec issue? Do you have the latest codec for the video format you are using? I'm just guessing...

EDIT: Forgot the word "not" in a sentence. :)

UnderTow
    post edited by UnderTow - 2008/09/08 14:08:01
    bunnyfluffer
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 13:25:51 (permalink)
    Re: Project Running out of Sync Over Time / Codec

I don't think this is a Codec issue, because if it stop/start it resync's perfectly.
    bunnyfluffer
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 14:00:57 (permalink)
    I will check out the clip properties - good call.

-tbf
    UnderTow
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 14:11:02 (permalink)

I will check out the clip properties - good call.

-tbf

The "lock" properties I mention would be for when you change the tempo. After that you can unlock. But see what happens either way.

As for the video sync, it could still be a codec issue despite it re-syncing after stop/start. If for some reason the codec isn't passing on the right frame rate, things could slowly run out of sync until you stop/start. Or could it be a mismatch with your video card frame rate? Just guessing...

UnderTow
    bunnyfluffer
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 14:27:53 (permalink)
    good point undertow - I need to check out the dropframe/non-drop frame settings as well. I know I'm running 29.97 on the avi clip.
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: * Composers Using Sonar : Film / TV Scoring * 2008/09/08 20:31:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NYSR

Thanks for the reply. So just so I'm clear when you say edit tracks for video is that the music or the actual video itself?

I am editing multiple video tracks including special effects on layers of video data, not just audio for video.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1