Helpful ReplySalmon under Glass- sophisticated dining for the discerning epicure

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/12 13:57:35 (permalink)
KPerry 
Indeed, that would not be a stupid thing to do :-)  Still needs work, as you have to compete with what people are used to (like I said, it's like 0-60mph figures for cars...they may be unhelpful, but they're a well-known reference point).  But as I said originally, that's a perception that needs to change, so we're agreeing that performance is a perceptual issue, even if not an actual one.

Indeed we are agreeing. Cakewalk if you are there, get some comparison benchmarks going!

Doktor Avalanche
2) Plugins apart from buggy plugins work perfectly well. Just because Acoustica says so (URL?) does to mean to say it is true. Frankly I doubt it when thousands of plugins work perfectly well..

Doktor Avalanche
You've given us the URL to the thread, this is the interesting post within it however:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3236581

If Cakewalk haven't had any contact you can't blame them. Who know maybe afterwards it happened and things got smoothed over. Nobody can assume however there is a problem with Cakewalks code here from this information.

KPerry 
Er...actually, I think you can.  There is a definite implication that SONAR bounces/bounced threads between cores which is i) unusual and ii) definitely not good for cache locality and hence performance (that's an unarguable fact of multi-threaded processing).  The latter is reflected in the general statistics and reports that show SONAR is/was significantly worse performance-wise than other applications (still, not just SONAR 7 on XP).

No you can't because there is no hard evidence... you don't know:
a) If it is a real problem.
b) If it's a perceived problem from Acustica or not. I would be expecting a lot more complaints than just one third party for instance.
c) If it was an issue that has already been fixed.

.. and you don't have any code in front of you to draw conclusions, or any studies to prove otherwise.

Doktor Avalanche
3) Sonar is reliable. It's people's systems that are unreliable. What is Cakewalk going to do gag these people who scream at great heights crying wolf? Admittedly there are still very visible bugs that need addressing (how long must I go on about that) but they aren't stability issues.

KPerry 
Well, I find is reliable.  But when you hear repeated stories (not on this forum) of SONAR glitching with 2 audio tracks, no plug-ins, or crashing when other DAWs don't, you have to understand that this is what perceptions are.  Sure, it might be for good technical reasons (I think the Bakers code more by the book than others, which is why there are more VST incompatabilities than with others who just get VSTs to work like Cubase!), but that's not really something that bothers end users: why spend days troubleshooting something trivial when another application will work with no effort?

Doktor Avalanche
As I've stated, when there are serious stability issues these forums go beserk about the same thing with reproducible steps. All we see right now is stability issues with specific PC configurations. If there are issues with third party VST code Cakewalk cannot be called out for that, bare in mind the vast majority of VST's work fine. I think the actual problem is that third parties are testing their code with cubase but are not with Cakewalk, again no fault of Cakewalks. If the plugin claims to support Cakewalk they should bloody well test it under the platform IMHO. Users should be writing to the third parties and ask them how they do their QA under Cakewalk, is it just a matter of waiting for customer complaints and fixing them?

KPerry
I'm not referring to these issues: look outside these forums and you'll see general stability/reliability issues that affect users on SONAR and not on other DAWs on the same hardware.  It's tough, but the conclusion that gets drawn is that SONAR is finickety/unstable - there was an entire range of audio controller chips that SONAR wouldn't work on a few years back (DICE 2 IIRC) that nothing else had problems with.  Why's that?

And, yes, there should be testing with SONAR in addition to Cubase, but that doesn't seem to happen, and we already see a number of plug-ins where SONAR isn't on their compatible list.  Why is that?

That is just hearsay. All DAW's need VST's adjusted in some way to be compatible. Sadly there is no standard where a DAW can handle the threads on the plugin as a client. The plugin manufacturer may have different views on how threads should be handled, that's not to say Sonar is doing anything wrong and that's not to say the third party is doing anything wrong either. The plugin manufacturer does not have access to any DAW source code either so I'm tempted to put that on hearsay. Whether that's true or not this is a theoretical discussion because nobody has put forward the exact issue yet, just a generalised opinion which really is not very specific, no facts. Ultimately the Steinburg standard is what DAW's and plugins should be looking at.

As far as plugin's not support for Sonar, I don't know how many. Either:
1) Cakewalk isn't giving enough information to third party manufacturers and make life too difficult for them.
2) Third party manufacturers think they are not going to make much money from it.
3) Third party manufacturers are too lazy or don't have enough resources to test on Sonar platform.
4) They perceive (wrongly) that if a plugin works on Cubase it must work the same everywhere else.

My question would be, why do so many manufacturers successfully support Sonar, and some others can't, won't or fail. What's the difference between the two?

Doktor Avalanche 
BTW the only way is to do it by the book. If Cubase screws up an implementation, and Cakewalk does not, Cakewalk should not be expected to bend their implementation to be like Cubase's buggy code, what Cubase should be doing is fixing their code. It would end up being a spagetti situation for third parties otherwise, i.e. what happens if Cubase then fixes their code to be like Cakewalk's again.

KPerry
Unfortunately, that's not how the world works.  If 9 out of 10 DAWs are written to "behave like Cubase" and yours doesn't, then yours is de facto the incompatible DAW.

That may be a perception, but it's sure not how the world works as explained earlier. The ownership should be on the third parties to test on a DAW it is supporting before it is released. If it all goes wrong to scream Sonar does not behave like Cubase the third party is simply crying wolf IMHO. They need to bash their heads together away from the public forums.

The standard is the Steinburg VST specification (which may be flawed documentation), it is NOT Cubase. That is all developers have to go on. Other DAW developers do not have access to Steinburg's source code, they may have access to SDK's as well (which may in turn be flawed), but they sure can't turn it into Cubase.

I think one of the problems with the VST standard is that Steinburg own it, DAW manufacturers should really get together and do an open source standard, Steinburg owning all the jokers on this is not heathy in the DAW market.

(EDITED FOR TERRIBLE TYPOS)
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/12 14:25:11

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/12 14:08:12 (permalink)
BobF
I wonder how many DAW forums enjoy the direct participation the development teams to help sort things out when needed?

Unless Noel and team intend to participate at a different forum, I can't see the point.

KPerry
Very few and it's absolutely brilliant that they engage.  It's one of the reasons I think Cakewalk is a great company to do business with - it's a definite added bonus.

There is a time to ignore the customer, that is when you need to get a requirement out... but afterwards if you aren't letting customers question what you did, and giving them feedback, you will probably not get much further regardless of how great your product initially was. The only time you might get away with it is if there aren't any real competitors. It's funny how MS developers have started communicating in forums isn't it? And isn't it funny more and more customers are getting disgruntled with Native Instruments who rarely if ever communicate in forums...

If there are still software developers who don't engage with their customers, and do not own a monopoly, they are on the slow and steady path to oblivion IMHO.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/12 14:13:32 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Btw if you all don't vote Sonar I'll play you this video, true story somebody actually died watching it...

http://www.sosawards.com/vote-2016/

He was driving a number 19 bus at the time though.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/12 21:52:35 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
If I were Cakewalk marketing I would run their own benchmarks as a comparison, if they are convinced they are good enough (which I suspect they are) I would be contacting journalist, or hire a firm to create independant tests which they can blog about and use in marketing.

Just an FYI, at Summer NAMM Microsoft did a very public presentation about Windows 10. PC Audio Labs showed their benchmark tests with SONAR because they were pretty impressive.

Here's a link to PC Audio Labs' evaluation of Windows 10 for Pro Audio. According to the article, "The tests performed were utilized using the WDM audio engine in Windows and a PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, running Cakewalk SONAR Platinum.  SONAR was used because it is very friendly to the WDM standard, and is a well-known and very efficient DAW."

As Noel mentioned in his blog post on Windows 10, "PCAudioLabs test was even featured in Microsoft’s Future of Audio Keynote on Windows 10, presented by Pete Brown of Microsoft. You can see the benchmark presentation starting around 22:16. It’s notable Microsoft is now listening to DAW system builders for feedback on Windows 10 performance."

So at least Microsoft and one manufacturer of computers dedicated to running audio think SONAR's performance is sufficient to impress people. Whether it impresses people more than an exquisitely cooked salmon is, of course, up for debate. Personally, before dinner, I'd go for the salmon. After dinner, I'd boot up SONAR. So it all depends on the application.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/12 22:17:43 (permalink)
I reckon these benchmark score are a very niche interest. I'd be surprised if they were particularly influential on DAW sales.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Doktor Avalanche
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/13 05:52:54 (permalink)
Well IF Sonar is perceived as slow compared to other DAWs (and I say IF) then benchmark comparisons is a way to kill that rumour off.

TPayton
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/14 13:47:07 (permalink)
what's with the fish thread title anyway?

Tom
Doktor Avalanche
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/14 14:05:18 (permalink)
I suggest you fish through the thread to find the correct plaice.

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/14 15:16:36 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
I suggest you fish through the thread to find the correct plaice.

Doktor Avalanche was pretty steamed about the salmon cooking reference.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Doktor Avalanche
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/14 16:43:55 (permalink)
I'm haddocked with him. I'll give him a plaice of my mind later. I have better fish to fry cod luck to you all.

ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: Salmon under Glass- sophisticated dining for the discerning epicure 2015/10/14 16:53:49 (permalink)
backwoods
I am spending my night looking at music websites and I see Gearslutz has set up a few new sub forums in the music computers section...

ProTools 11/12, Logic Pro X, Cockos Reaper, Motu DP, Cubase Pro8, Propellerhead Reason, Ableton, Presonus Studio One, Avid Pro Tools, Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo, ProTools 10 HDX, Cubase 7 and Nuendo 7.

hmmmm.............

There's a sub folder now.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/other-daws/
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Salmon under Glass- sophisticated dining for the discerning epicure 2015/10/14 17:17:27 (permalink)
carl
 There's a sub folder now.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/other-daws/

"There are no posts in this forum".

First person to post "Vote Sonar" in there gets a round of applause (and then a lynch-mob ).
http://www.sosawards.com/vote-2016/

post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/10/14 17:27:27

orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/15 13:36:07 (permalink)
Soundwise
No respect from slutz? So what?

+1 here.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/15 15:02:17 (permalink)

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/15 16:29:29 (permalink)
This just proves the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Now where is the Pro Audio 9 forum? 

Best
John
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/15 17:25:11 (permalink)
I can hold my head up high again.

Hey.... what is this now... you're right John!.... where IS the Pro Audio 9 forum 

Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/15 19:48:45 (permalink)
mettelus
BobF
I wonder how many DAW forums enjoy the direct participation the development teams to help sort things out when needed?

Unless Noel and team intend to participate at a different forum, I can't see the point.

I would hazard a guess that is probably "very few" if not outright "none other," but don't read other forums. Noel has been very gracious in providing feedback to us and giving us insight on the mechanics of the code. He is very honest and forthright about such things, and is not required to do so.

Hi Michael-

It's definitely not "none other," since at least the REAPER and FL Studio devs chime in regularly in their user forums (my only other DAW experiences), but I do appreciate the posts directly from CW, too. 

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: no respect- new Gearslutz sub forums 2015/10/19 16:47:52 (permalink)
Evangelizing SONAR as a partner or platform for other developers might be a more successful strategy.  Rather than swimming upstream with a site like gearslutz, some of our experts should work to develop application examples using plugins, effects, drum machines, etc.  Let the third-party developers carry the branding, but insinuate the leadership of SONAR by using it as the pedestal to support those other vendors' products.  This also showcases the flexible file format support and workflow options of SONAR.

FWIW

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1