SampleTank, Sonik Synth on normal user account?

Author
mose
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 513
2008/12/25 12:29:51 (permalink)

SampleTank, Sonik Synth on normal user account?

I recently installed Total Workstation 2 from IK Multimedia, which includes SampleTank, Sonik Synth and so on. This is on Windows XP SP3. If I run the standalone or the plugin from an account with Administrator privileges, everything works. If I run the standalone or plugin from a normal user account, they all crash (see error below). This happens with all IKMM software, including T-RackS 3 and CSR. This is the only software I have (besides Acronis True Image for backup) that requires administrator privilege. Kontakt 3 wants administrator privilege, but after it complains, it works fine.

I have given the normal user account write access to C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia and ...\IK Multimedia\Instruments in case they try to open files for writing in those directories, but that didn't help. I have contacted support at IKMM. Their response was to upgrade everything to the latest version. I've done that, but the problem is the same. I'm waiting for them to respond to my latest information, but it might take them a while over Christmas.

Is anyone running SampleTank 2.5.2, Sonik Synth 2.1 et al from a normal user account (i.e., not power user, no administrator privileges)? If so, was there any trick to doing it? Thanks. Here's the error.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: ...am Files\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\SampleTank 2.5.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)

3 Replies Related Threads

mose
    RE: SampleTank, Sonik Synth on normal user account? 2009/01/01 22:52:14 (permalink)
    I just wanted to bump this post to see if anyone is running IKMM instruments (i.e., SampleTank, Sonik Synth, etc.) from a normal user account on Windows XP. The instruments work for me from an account with administrator privileges but not from a normal user account. Thanks.

mose
    RE: SampleTank, Sonik Synth on normal user account? 2009/01/16 22:53:22 (permalink)
    I've been dinking around with an IKMM support person for nearly a month. His help consisted of asking questions for information I had already provided and suggesting that I install the latest updates. When that didn't work, his suggestion was that I needed to run the software with administrative privileges. Early on I had suggested that this looked like a permission problem, but the support person did not consult with someone who could resolve the issue. What dismal customer support.

After an intensive (and extensive) search, I discovered the solution at www.NoAdmin.de (bless their souls). In order to run IK Multimedia software without administrative privileges, the normal user account must have modify access to the following items. If I had known that IKMM writes software that needs write access to files (a DLL, of all things!) in the Windows folder, I would not have purchased it.

C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia
    C:\Windows\msocreg32.dat
    C:\Windows\System32\msvcsv60.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\w3data.vss

After making the permission change, the software works. I am super ecstatic that I can now run IK Multimedia software from a normal user account. It almost makes me forget the month I've wasted waiting for IKMM to tell me the solution.

mose
    RE: SampleTank, Sonik Synth on normal user account? 2009/01/16 23:15:49 (permalink)
    I have even happier news to report. It appears that after changing permissions and running SampleTank and/or other instruments the first time, modify access to msvcsv60.dll and w3data.vss can then be removed for the normal user account. Woohoo! That makes me feel much better.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1