Sampling and guitar

Author
Master Exploder
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2011/01/07 19:21:26 (permalink)

Sampling and guitar

Hey, I want to record my guitar and process it to get a 16 bit sound, in the same style as Nine Inch Nails' Suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TraSBSNfpCg

How would I go about doing this?

In addition how would I go about recording a guitar chord and playing that chord on a midi keyboard across notes and octaves, like what they did back in the 90s when they would record say a voice and play it as a series of midi notes?

2 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Sampling and guitar 2011/01/07 23:31:45 (permalink)
    Ideally, you'd want a proper sampler like Kontakt. To start experimenting on a budget, though, the bundled Cyclone sample player could be used, although it's limited to a maximum of 16 samples. Still, you could record 16 chords - that would be enough to cover the basic chords in a given key over two octaves (e.g. C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am) without transposition.

With any sampler, you can only get reasonable-sounding transposition over about 3 to 12 semitones, depending on the register. Higher notes/chords can be "stretched" further than low ones. Add in variations of expression and you end up with lots of samples. Consequently, commercial guitar libraries tend to be quite large. For example, Shreddage, a library that does only one thing - metal rhythm guitar over a couple octaves - is over a gigabyte in size.

You'll also have to edit your wave files so that they are all the same volume, as well as trimming them to the right length, editing out extraneous noise and possibly adding fades. It sounds like work, but it's actually a lot of fun.

Now, as to what "16-bit sound" is, I haven't a clue. Maybe you mean applying a bitcrusher plugin? You don't need a sampler to do that, you just record your guitar part and throw Alias Factor into the FX bin.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Sampling and guitar 2011/01/08 13:40:17 (permalink)
    Another option for sampling is a hardware sampler. Units that cost thousands new a few years ago are going for maybe $300.00 these days. Makes it simple if you're gigging and don't want to bother with a laptop or pc.

I've done quite a bit a guitar sampling in the past. Not chords...single notes, multiple layers of samples for each note...generally sampling every 2 or 3rd fret. (This was before guitar sample libraries were available.) I used hardware samplers. Results were very good. I ran them thru a mic'd up Marshall amp & the occasional wah-wah. All I wanted was a ballsy rhythm tone for chugging out riffs, etc and was never concerned about faking a guitar lead. For that purpose, the time spent was well worth it. It's a labour of love though. Not an afternoon project. More like a week of tedious editing and button pushing.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1