Samplitude VSTi Question

Author
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2018/01/16 16:48:51 (permalink)

Samplitude VSTi Question

I guess I should post this over on the Magix forum, but I'm hoping somebody here has the answer. 

When I load a VSTi into SONAR I can control the volume and pan of every instrument in the VST from either the trackview or mixer view, and I don't have to access the VSTi itself to make any adjustments.  In Samplitude (and Presonus Studio One 3 as well) the pan and volume control in the trackview and mixer don't seem to affect the individual instruments, so if I want to adjust them I have to open the VSTi and adjust the instruments there.  Am I doing something wrong?  35mm, weigh in and help me!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver

7 Replies Related Threads

35mm
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/16 18:11:02 (permalink)
    Hello 

I take it you have routed separate outputs from your VSTi to separate tracks/channels? At the moment you are probably hearing everything through channel 1 as that will be routed to the VSTi's master/stereo output, so if you mute/solo individual channels you will still hear the master output through channel 1. Track 1 will have the midi also so muting it will silence everything. 

I'm not in front of Samp right now so I'm working from memory here. You need to silence channel 1's audio if you don't want it and just have it as a midi track. I think you can do that by keeping the midi routing as is and just change the audio output to none or remove the VSTi's master routing from channel 1. Or you can just pull the fader right down to silence the VSTi's master output. Either way, I think your problem is that you are hearing the VSTi's master output as well as the individual outputs.

I think there's more info in the Samp forum. Hope this helps.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/16 18:23:01 (permalink)
    Sonar is (was?) a rare breed in that it treats VSTi's like they are external synths. This allows it to control a VSTi by sending pan and volume information, among other things. On the other hand, this wasn't always a good thing and there are endless threads about VSTi's going silent after stopping playback. From your description, it sounds like Samplitude works similarly to Studio One in that you can only control volume and pan only through the VSTi interface (or midi CC data), or through automating the VSTi's audio track(s) directly.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    35mm
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/16 18:36:35 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Sonar is (was?) a rare breed in that it treats VSTi's like they are external synths. This allows it to control a VSTi by sending pan and volume information, among other things. On the other hand, this wasn't always a good thing and there are endless threads about VSTi's going silent after stopping playback. From your description, it sounds like Samplitude works similarly to Studio One in that you can only control volume and pan only through the VSTi interface (or midi CC data), or through automating the VSTi's audio track(s) directly.

Regards,
    Dan

In Samplitude, you can do both. When you assign a VSTi channel to a track you control its output through the mixer as you would with hardware, but you can also assign controllers to the VSTi midi controls or automate individual VSTi controls. It has a lot of flexibility but it doesn't make assumptions about what you might want to do like Sonar does.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    jude77
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/17 01:21:59 (permalink)
    35mm
    dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

In Samplitude, you can do both. When you assign a VSTi channel to a track you control its output through the mixer as you would with hardware, but you can also assign controllers to the VSTi midi controls or automate individual VSTi controls. It has a lot of flexibility but it doesn't make assumptions about what you might want to do like Sonar does.

35mm, how do you get Sampltiude to do that? 

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    S.L.I.P.
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 949
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/17 04:21:36 (permalink)
    Right click on the Fader, and you will be presented with a few options:
    "controls Audio Track Volume"
    "controls Midi Velocity, (scaling)"
    "controls Audio Volume, and Midi Velocity"

jude77
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/17 15:38:29 (permalink)
    S.L.I.P.
    Right click on the Fader, and you will be presented with a few options:
    "controls Audio Track Volume"
    "controls Midi Velocity, (scaling)"
    "controls Audio Volume, and Midi Velocity"

Super!!  Thanks!!

S.L.I.P.
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 949
    Re: Samplitude VSTi Question 2018/01/18 00:18:57 (permalink)
    You're welcome! Check out Kraznet's videos. Even the ones that are 7 years old are still very helpful.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1