"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) **NEW VERSION POSTED**

Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2010/08/11 18:28:46 (permalink)

"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) **NEW VERSION POSTED**

Hey guys! 

So I have another song to share with you - this one I wrote more recently, and when I started mixing it, I really wanted it to feel like it had a lonely aspect to it, because it really is a prayer to God. So I attempted to recreate that, and I would love your feedback on it. 

Let me know what you think!! Thanks!

EDIT: Okay. So I think this is how I'm going to leave it if I don't re-record it. But I removed the verb, got things center-panned, and cleaned up the overall mix a bit.

"Save Me"

post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2010/08/18 17:33:14

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation

17 Replies Related Threads

cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/11 18:54:21 (permalink)
    Okay. hi, first of all.

I won't comment on the song writing aspect. But i can address a couple of issues for you.

The strange bass frequency that i pick up on comes from the guitar performance. It sounds as though the bottom string is left open and you're either inadvertantly hitting it or the harmonics of the other chords you're playing are interfearing with it. Be careful on chord changes and pulling off of those notes, because that's the unfortunate result.

The guitar sound itself is a little empty in the mids and has a few strange issues in the top end. i don't mind an acoustic guitar with an overpronounced top end, but, what we have here is a messy top end rather than a shimmering top end it comes across as somewhat lo-fi. I'm not sure what you're using to record it, but either the mic doesn't like top end very much, you're going through the dreaded 'pick-ups' or you've done a little too much messing with the top end without listening to the effect it's having. Could be a combination of the above.

Vocal capture is not bad, if you ignore the signal to noise ratio issues. The intimacy sort of there. i can see what you're going for. It's too 'whispered' for my liking. The reverb is too abrupt and makes it sound as though its recorded in a small room with reflective surfaces. Try a longer reverb with a pre delay.

As you've said you wanted it to sound intimate, i'd have compressed it a bit more, with a short attack time to take off the harsh spikes in there. That'd give it a smother feel i think. A longer attack would leave those spikes in and bring everything up afterwards, which may give it a more in your face feel. it's worth messing around with. I tend to find around 20-30ms works nicely on my vocal. but it depends what you want. you could use a compressor with a high threshold to just catch the spikes then brickwall it a little with another compressor.

I've not really focused on the positives. There are many, but i figured, constructive criticism might help you more, seeing as you've said you're pretty new to this.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/11 19:42:43 (permalink)
    cho_drummer

Okay. hi, first of all.

I won't comment on the song writing aspect. But i can address a couple of issues for you.

The strange bass frequency that i pick up on comes from the guitar performance. It sounds as though the bottom string is left open and you're either inadvertantly hitting it or the harmonics of the other chords you're playing are interfearing with it. Be careful on chord changes and pulling off of those notes, because that's the unfortunate result.

The guitar sound itself is a little empty in the mids and has a few strange issues in the top end. i don't mind an acoustic guitar with an overpronounced top end, but, what we have here is a messy top end rather than a shimmering top end it comes across as somewhat lo-fi. I'm not sure what you're using to record it, but either the mic doesn't like top end very much, you're going through the dreaded 'pick-ups' or you've done a little too much messing with the top end without listening to the effect it's having. Could be a combination of the above.

Vocal capture is not bad, if you ignore the signal to noise ratio issues. The intimacy sort of there. i can see what you're going for. It's too 'whispered' for my liking. The reverb is too abrupt and makes it sound as though its recorded in a small room with reflective surfaces. Try a longer reverb with a pre delay.

As you've said you wanted it to sound intimate, i'd have compressed it a bit more, with a short attack time to take off the harsh spikes in there. That'd give it a smother feel i think. A longer attack would leave those spikes in and bring everything up afterwards, which may give it a more in your face feel. it's worth messing around with. I tend to find around 20-30ms works nicely on my vocal. but it depends what you want. you could use a compressor with a high threshold to just catch the spikes then brickwall it a little with another compressor.

I've not really focused on the positives. There are many, but i figured, constructive criticism might help you more, seeing as you've said you're pretty new to this.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Thanks, man! I will definitely learn from this. I think I'm going to go back and try to fix it. 

But about the compressor - I have a couple questions. What does it exactly do? I've messed around with it, but because I don't know how to properly use it, it doesn't do the job it was made to do. Also, I'm running an old copy of Sonar 2.0, which, the GUI isn't exactly "newbie-friendly" - are there any sites or anything that I can go to and learn how to use the compressor properly without it being software-specific? Or maybe just a quick overview from you? Haha

And I agree - I think I kept accidentally leaving the bottom E string open, and that was messing with the rest of the chords. I think I might go back and re-record my guitar.

Thanks again for pointing all this stuff out for me!

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/11 20:27:28 (permalink)
    hmmmm compression. I fear a can of worms opening.

No, its not that hard to grasp really.
    The basic concept of compression is to reduce the dynamic range of a given subject.
    So essentially it squashes the loudest signals by a given ammount (that's the ratio).
    The higher the ratio the more 'sqashing' that's going on.
    Now, the 'threshold' tells the compressor when to kick in. So it'll not do anything until the level reaches a certain point. You set this using the threshold.
    Attack time tells the compressor how fast to react to each transient. So if you have an attack time of 20ms, the compressor will kick into action 20miliseconds after the transient has become louder than the threshold.
    The release time is how quick the compressor stops working.
    Compression often increases percieved loudness as the signal can be at the maximum level for more of the time with compression, but it nearly always sounds best when you can't 'hear' it.
    Thats a real quick overview of compression. Try out different things.

I hope that works. Sorry i don't have time to be more in-depth.

Chris 
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/12 14:10:36 (permalink)
    Thanks, Chris! That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to post that for me. 

As for the song, I think I might just end up re-doing it. I think I kinda rushed the song to recording without giving it time to kinda work itself out some more. Saying that, I'm gonna post another version where I tinkered around with it to see if it's any better EQ/Mixing wise.
    Thanks again, man!

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/13 14:27:01 (permalink)
    I uploaded a new version - it's cleaner, and a little more refined. Its still a really rough cut, so it still has some wrinkles that need to be ironed out. Tell me what you think!

peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/13 20:47:13 (permalink)
    Yes, you got that lonely feel, if only because you use a single instrument.   But your switch between strumming and picking give it the variety it needs. 

I love the words. I was in the middle of gluttony when I listened to your song. It was such a solace. This is my fifth play. This song grows on me. I hear more each time I listen.

The spaces of silence make for some loneliness too--most effective is that silent space right before the ending begins.

Thanks for reminding me of Jesus' love for me even when I sin.

post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/13 20:50:51

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 00:04:57 (permalink)
    peggysuechan

Yes, you got that lonely feel, if only because you use a single instrument.   But your switch between strumming and picking give it the variety it needs. 

I love the words. I was in the middle of gluttony when I listened to your song. It was such a solace. This is my fifth play. This song grows on me. I hear more each time I listen.

The spaces of silence make for some loneliness too--most effective is that silent space right before the ending begins.

Thanks for reminding me of Jesus' love for me even when I sin.
     You are so welcome! I'm so glad God used my song for something like that! Praise God!

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 15:13:14 (permalink)
    I uploaded yet another version - this time, I added warmth and reverb and some compression. Any feedback would be awesome!
    equality
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 17:32:58 (permalink)
    I must first comment on the song which I really like. So sensitive and honest just with the guitar and your great voice. Good song writing and performance. The mix however is muffled and murky. Go back to the raw recordings and redo. First, place guitar and vocal in center as if someone performed right in front of you. Use as little compression, equalizing, reverb and delay as possible, if needed at all. The crucial point is what guitar you have, if new strings are of good quality and new and then the type of microphone (preferrably a condensor type of mike), then what type of microphone pre-amp. First on fourth place, I would say, speaking about sound quality, come issues about different fx:s.  
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 19:00:08 (permalink)
    This has a great feel to it and I think it portrays the emotion you were going for.  Make sure when you say '-ing' on 'falling' that you're hitting the note.  Maybe I just couldn't hear you well enough.

Nice job.  I don't know enough about mixing to be able to help you with anything else, but I like this. 
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 19:22:36 (permalink)
    I like it richer like this.  Your voice sounds stronger now. It's like you said--warmer. Your work paid off. At 2:43 I hear something like microphone noise?

Why not edit your your title on the song page of the forum and include that you reworked it, and put a date that you resubmitted your rework. That way, people will know and come in and give it another listen. I was coming in anyway to listen again, when I found you'd reworked it. But how will the others know?
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/14 19:33:26

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/14 21:50:45 (permalink)
    Janet

This has a great feel to it and I think it portrays the emotion you were going for.  Make sure when you say '-ing' on 'falling' that you're hitting the note.  Maybe I just couldn't hear you well enough.

Nice job.  I don't know enough about mixing to be able to help you with anything else, but I like this. 
    Thank you!! And yeah - that note was tough, cause I heard it in my head, but it's really low. Haha, I just gotta learn how to use my baritone-ness. 

peggysuechan

I like it richer like this.  Your voice sounds stronger now. It's like you said--warmer. Your work paid off. At 2:43 I hear something like microphone noise?

Why not edit your your title on the song page of the forum and include that you reworked it, and put a date that you resubmitted your rework. That way, people will know and come in and give it another listen. I was coming in anyway to listen again, when I found you'd reworked it. But how will the others know?

Thank you! And yeah - the noise is just the unfortunate result of having low-end hardware. The shelf-noise of my mic is ridiculous. And thanks for the tip - I changed my title.
    equality

I must first comment on the song which I really like. So sensitive and honest just with the guitar and your great voice. Good song writing and performance. The mix however is muffled and murky. Go back to the raw recordings and redo. First, place guitar and vocal in center as if someone performed right in front of you. Use as little compression, equalizing, reverb and delay as possible, if needed at all. The crucial point is what guitar you have, if new strings are of good quality and new and then the type of microphone (preferrably a condensor type of mike), then what type of microphone pre-amp. First on fourth place, I would say, speaking about sound quality, come issues about different fx:s.  

Thanks, bro! I appreciate the feedback. I think I may have gone too warm with the EQ this time (before, in other versions, it was too tin-like and thin). Just gotta find an "in-between". I'm learning new things every time I do this - and I'm honestly so glad I can have people like you comment on it! 

I think later on down the road, I may completely re-do it....but as for a demo of sorts, I think this gets the basic idea out. This is all very valuable advice - and I receive it all! Its interesting that you mention the panning - and I also can see how the effects take away from the rawness of it. I think I may ex the reverb. 

Thanks again, you guys! 

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/16 14:43:49 (permalink)
    Hi Nick,
    listening on a soundmax and $5 headphones, so take that for what it's worth.

love the song and the message you're conveying there.  has a very intimate feel to it and that's great.

the guitar is recorded good, the bass is good.  I'm not hearing the contention that chris mentions between the bass and the guitar, but again, I'm not listening in a very good environment so I might be missing some of the bass.

vocals - hmm...how did you record them?  if you recorded them as clean as the acoustic, then what did you do to them in the mix?  they're muddy and phasey and fuzzy and I think they'd sound better with a much cleaner sound.  I know you're going for a warmer "lonely" feeling, but I wouldn't process your vox like this - at least not all the way thru.  maybe only for emphasis in some areas.

nice work, tho, keep it up!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/16 16:08:16 (permalink)
    Beagle

Hi Nick,
    listening on a soundmax and $5 headphones, so take that for what it's worth.

love the song and the message you're conveying there.  has a very intimate feel to it and that's great.

the guitar is recorded good, the bass is good.  I'm not hearing the contention that chris mentions between the bass and the guitar, but again, I'm not listening in a very good environment so I might be missing some of the bass.

vocals - hmm...how did you record them?  if you recorded them as clean as the acoustic, then what did you do to them in the mix?  they're muddy and phasey and fuzzy and I think they'd sound better with a much cleaner sound.  I know you're going for a warmer "lonely" feeling, but I wouldn't process your vox like this - at least not all the way thru.  maybe only for emphasis in some areas.

nice work, tho, keep it up!

Thanks for the input, brother! I think you're right on the vox - I think I'm going to ex the verb and restore some of it's high end. I think what I did was I warmed up the vocals too much - like you said.  I think some of it also has to do with the fact that my mic is just...bad. Haha. Thanks again for taking the time to comment - I value every word! Haha.

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/18 17:36:09 (permalink)
    Alright, so I took into account all of your advice and went back to clean it up. I removed the verb (sounded kinda cheesy), cleaned up the vocals (I think), made the overall mix better (I think), and I think I'm gonna keep it like this unless I re-record it. I probably could have made the vox a little louder, or cut the guitars a little more, but eh....I wanna move on to something new.

Tell me what you think! 
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/18 19:27:31 (permalink)
    Hi Nick,

I missed all the previous mixes so I can't tell what's changed but this sounds real nice on my cheap headphones Even if I was listening on better equipment there are plenty of people here way more knowledgeable about recording/mixing than me to give you advice...

I just love the song and think the guitar and your voice sound great.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Save Me" (2nd Attempt at recording/mixing/EQing/etc.) 2010/08/19 00:19:39 (permalink)
    geeare1

Hi Nick,

I missed all the previous mixes so I can't tell what's changed but this sounds real nice on my cheap headphones Even if I was listening on better equipment there are plenty of people here way more knowledgeable about recording/mixing than me to give you advice...

I just love the song and think the guitar and your voice sound great.

Thanks, brother!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1