Saving VSC as midi file

Author
mdeeson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2009/07/25 17:13:33 (permalink)

Saving VSC as midi file

When i import midi files into Sonar 7 producer and use the VSC it works fine. I can save the piece as a Cakewalk project file and it will reload with the VSC. However I have to e-mail some midi files for a project I am working on and when I save the project in either midi 0 or midi 1 it only saves the soundblaster file, not the VSC.
   I want the VSC in the midi file I am e-mail, because it sounds soooooo much better... but I can't figure out how to do it.

5 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Saving VSC as midi file 2009/07/25 19:29:26 (permalink)
    If you save a project as a midi file, it will ONLY have midi data in it.  No audio at all.  

If you want to send the sound as well, you'll have to save it as a .cwp file. 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Saving VSC as midi file 2009/07/26 00:06:34 (permalink)
    .cwb file, a bundle, not a .cwp project file will contain all of the information, midi, audio, fx and settings. But, it appears you want to send the sounds, not just the midi data. You will need to bounce the midi to an audio track in order to do that.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Saving VSC as midi file 2009/07/26 10:40:53 (permalink)
    Does the computer you are sending the project to have VSC? Many Cakewalk products have TTS-1 instead of VSC.
    In general, TTS-1 sounds a little better than VSC (both are GM2 soft synths)
    Also, it appears that the Soundblaster synth is selected as a MIDI output (in Options>MIDI Devices).
    If that is the only option available to Sonar, it will automatically select the SB synth to play the MIDI files.
    It's not the file itself, but the synth that the file is playing through. Make sense?
    Here's what I would suggest:
    Deselect the Soundblaster synth as a MIDI output. You don't need it.
    Open the project, and insert TTS-1 with no MIDI Source Track.
    If TTS-1 is the ONLY synth Sonar sees, it should automatically set the outputs of the MIDI tracks to TTS-1.
    If the tracks are finished, you can bounce them to audio, and send a bundle file. However, cwb files are much too large for email, and you would need to use a file transfer site capable of sending large files.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    mdeeson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Saving VSC as midi file 2009/07/26 19:50:59 (permalink)
    My bad... I thought the soft synths were midi based... clearly they are audio files... now I get it... thanks

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Saving VSC as midi file 2009/07/27 01:45:21 (permalink)
    Well, that is partially correct. The "sound", the audio is triggered by the midi data. They are two tracks, one is the midi data which is routed through a softsynth to create the audio.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1