Scale Tempo

Author
dilletant
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2015/05/09 23:01:52 (permalink)
5 (5)

Scale Tempo

Recently out of curiosity I downloaded demo version of some well known DAW . Among its features I found one that I liked very much. This is what I wish Sonar had long time ago. Why we still have no "Scale Tempo" function in Sonar?

6 Replies Related Threads

williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Scale Tempo 2015/05/10 13:54:33 (permalink)
    This suggestion comes around pretty often, and it would certainly be useful.    The workaround currently is some kind of 'fit audio to time' process, applied to midi,  but I'm always scared to use it on a large number of midi tracks ... so much can go wrong and there is so much to review trying to track down the problems. 

dbenus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    REQUEST: Tempo Map Scaling... 2015/06/17 17:52:32 (permalink)
    Hello,

We are doing West Side Story in September at my high school.  I found some MIDI files for the show.  They were pretty lousy.  I worked with them for a long time to get the music to where it should be, but since it's an orchestral score, a steady tempo throughout each song was no good at all. 

So what I did was to get a recording of the show, set up a click track on each song, and then manually adjusted the tempo map so that the Click/MIDI runs along with the audio.  With good virtual instruments, it now sounds really good, and the changes in tempo (rubatos, accelerandos, etc.), derived from the original recordings, give the music a very natural and authentic feel.

Now - the problem:
    The musical's director and choir director want certain sections of the songs to be faster or slower, however, the manual tempo map I made has as many as 10 tempo changes per measure in some places, so if I need to take a 32 measure section of a song and slow it down or speed it up, as it is now, I would need to re-draw each the tempo map, change per change, measure per measure, while still trying to keep the give and take of the music's tempo to retain its naturalness.  It would take me hours, days, to go through each section of the songs, since there is never a single tempo for an extended section.

What I need is a "Tempo Scaling" feature in which I could highlight a section of a song, and either choose a percentage or, better, drag the tempo up or down, while retaining the Tempo Map's many changes, bar by bar.  I'm thinking that an envelope, like that of volume or panning, which allows us to highlight a section of the envelope and then simply drag the whole envelope up or down, with all of the individual values staying in place, would be perfect.

There are many CAL routines that allow for scaling of MIDI, but when I asked Cakewalk Support, they said that they did not know of anyone who still works with creating CAL scripts. 

I hope that I've been clear.
    I await news from the community and the programmers who are in charge of future updates.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David Benus
    E-mail: info@tatianamusic.com
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: REQUEST: Tempo Map Scaling... 2015/06/17 18:11:16 (permalink)
    Forget CAL for tempo scaling. Here is how to scale tempo in SONAR http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2432174
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: REQUEST: Tempo Map Scaling... 2015/06/17 18:26:37 (permalink)
    merged with previous request
    dbenus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Scale Tempo 2015/06/17 18:52:24 (permalink)
    Yep.  This is EXACTLY what I need.
    The first 2 choices on the box are also very good - subtract or add BPM to section.
    What DAW was this? 
    Did you try the process?
    And if so, does it process everything, MIDI and Audio?
    Thanks.

williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: REQUEST: Tempo Map Scaling... 2015/06/18 02:26:58 (permalink)

there is so much to review trying to track down the problems

It just is not practical to review literally hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of events.   It would be much better if CW would implement tempo shift just like volume and length ... a fixed amount of change or a percentage.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1