Helpful ReplyScammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department."

Author
Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
2017/10/31 17:37:14 (permalink)

Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department."

For years, omfg, almost 10 years now I've been getting calls from, "The United States Federal IRS, and The Sherriff, The Grant and Loan Department, The FBI," etc, etc, etc...

Its because I once really did have identity theft, and also apparently there is somebody in Florida with my exact first, last, and middle name who is a serious felon and stuff.

But anyway its so annoying.  

Every time they call with this, "Grant dept. schtick," I tell them to, "send me a check."  When they call with the FBI, and the IRS, I tell them the Federal Government passed a law cutting their funding and they can no longer afford to call, so they could not possibly be calling.

We've actually had like arguments about whether or not they could afford to call me, and if they are not really Zombies from Mars.

Usually after a minute or two they hang up..

I must be their most annoying person to call

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 18:12:41 (permalink)
No!  Really?  Tell us more!  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 18:15:11 (permalink)
craigb
No!  Really?  Tell us more!  

In an unrelated matter.  The 2017 Mile High Society award for, "Class and Glam," has finally been given out to this lovely couple:  http://www.foxnews.com/tr...ats-officials-say.html

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 18:56:42 (permalink)
If you have a commercial website, scams come in the form of shady SEO companies who call you up and claim that they're "working with Google" and can get you on the first page of Google search results. Some actually claim to be Google and that they're calling to confirm your Google Business listing. Mostly I just hang up, but every now and then - usually if I'm in the bathroom for the long haul -  I'll call them out on this "affiliated with Google" BS and listen to them squirm as they try and backpedal (or in some cases, double down and insist that they have special access to Google). It's all about wasting as much of their time as possible.

I find it helps to suggest that you might be interested in their services, if only they could explain a little about themselves and who they really are. It's at that point they're caught off guard because they have previously been hung up on 300 times  that day - you hear a frantic rustling of papers as they try to find the relevant part of the script. I have them going around in circles with stupid questions and then when I get bored I'll treat them to a little summary of why I know they're telling lies and in which ways their dumb script didn't add up. That's when the verbal abuse usually starts - their one lead of the day and they got b**** slapped. I even had one furious guy yell at me "YOU WILL NEVER BE ON GOOGLE AGAIN! YOU ARE BANNED!" Still waiting for that one to take effect!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 19:02:16 (permalink)
My cell block mate at college won a Macarthur Genius Award. :D:D  I didn't even know she wrote poetry!  I wish we had written music together.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

craigb
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 19:53:47 (permalink)
sharke
If you have a commercial website, scams come in the form of shady SEO companies who call you up and claim that they're "working with Google" and can get you on the first page of Google search results. Some actually claim to be Google and that they're calling to confirm your Google Business listing. Mostly I just hang up, but every now and then - usually if I'm in the bathroom for the long haul -  I'll call them out on this "affiliated with Google" BS and listen to them squirm as they try and backpedal (or in some cases, double down and insist that they have special access to Google). It's all about wasting as much of their time as possible.

I find it helps to suggest that you might be interested in their services, if only they could explain a little about themselves and who they really are. It's at that point they're caught off guard because they have previously been hung up on 300 times  that day - you hear a frantic rustling of papers as they try to find the relevant part of the script. I have them going around in circles with stupid questions and then when I get bored I'll treat them to a little summary of why I know they're telling lies and in which ways their dumb script didn't add up. That's when the verbal abuse usually starts - their one lead of the day and they got b**** slapped. I even had one furious guy yell at me "YOU WILL NEVER BE ON GOOGLE AGAIN! YOU ARE BANNED!" Still waiting for that one to take effect!

This is why my business phone number is a Grasshopper toll-free number that never gets answered.  I only listen to the voice messages, which the scammers never leave.

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 20:56:12 (permalink)
We never answer the land-line now. If it's a 'real' person, they can leave a message. I never answer unknown numbers to my mobile either. Makes for a peaceful life.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 21:09:11 (permalink)
jamesg1213
We never answer the land-line now. If it's a 'real' person, they can leave a message. I never answer unknown numbers to my mobile either. Makes for a peaceful life.

I do the same unless I'm in the right mood to wind them up a bit, but here's the thing......when I do actually answer almost 100% of the time now whoever it is hangs up without saying anything ? WTF??

I can only assume that they are so used to being either being ignored or told to sod off that they have forgotten what they are supposed to say if anyone actually gives them the opportunity to say something so they panic and hang up.
jamesg1213
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 21:13:28 (permalink)
paulo
jamesg1213

I do the same unless I'm in the right mood to wind them up a bit, but here's the thing......when I do actually answer almost 100% of the time now whoever it is hangs up without saying anything ? WTF??

I can only assume that they are so used to being either being ignored or told to sod off that they have forgotten what they are supposed to say if anyone actually gives them the opportunity to say something so they panic and hang up.

I suspect a lot of these drones get paid by the call (probably 0.000001 rupee), so if the phone is picked up that's good enough for them.

Jyemz

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/10/31 22:21:26 (permalink)
I get a lot of the scam calls that feature a recorded message (usually starting along the lines of "Your business has been selected for an interest free....."). I'm amazed at how bad these scammers are at holding your attention. The voice is always a very chirpy woman who sounds like she's narrating a radio commercial. Big red flag right there, I'll hang up instantly. Then they started saying "Hi...." and leaving a gap (for you to reply "hi") before speaking again. Ooooo how crafty! Now they've gotten so clever, they start their messages with "Don't hang up!" as if that's going to make anyone keep listening. Guys...guys...doesn't matter what you do, it always sounds like a recorded message. Always. People are extremely good at detecting whether they're listening to a real person or a recording. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 01:28:30 (permalink)
paulo
jamesg1213

Often this is just a robocall but, as soon as you answer, you're flagged in their system as a "live one" (if you will) and will probably get a return call at sometime by a real person.

(Wow, James has a land-line???)

jamesg1213
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 07:23:02 (permalink)
craigb

I do unfortunately, it's still the only way I can get broadband. 

Jyemz

craigb
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 15:43:31 (permalink)
jamesg1213
craigb

And NagBapped! 

jamesg1213
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 17:05:30 (permalink)
craigb
jamesg1213
craigb

And NagBapped! 

Yes...

Jyemz

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 17:10:36 (permalink)
jamesg1213

Somehow I doan have your mobile number.

That has to account for some of that peaceful life. 
jamesg1213
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/01 18:22:11 (permalink)
bapu
jamesg1213

Somehow I doan have your mobile number.

That has to account for some of that peaceful life. 

It certain do.

Jyemz

bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/02 19:51:30 (permalink)
What really amazes me is how they can help me with my credit card debt when I don't even HAVE a credit card.

Byron Dickens
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/02 19:52:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/11/02 20:38:51
bdickens
What really amazes me is how they can help me with my credit card debt when I don't even HAVE a credit card.

Hmmmmmmm. How do you buy gear and software without the spouse/s.o. finding out?
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/03 16:41:41 (permalink)
bapu
bdickens

Hmmmmmmm. How do you buy gear and software without the spouse/s.o. finding out?

I don't have anything to hide or vice versa.

Byron Dickens
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Scammers who keep calling from places like, "The United States Grant Department." 2017/11/03 17:31:42 (permalink)
This action makes my blood boil. I can no longer sit back and allow the infiltration, indoctrination, and the international spamation conspiracy to SAP AND IMPURIFY OUT PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1