Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza)

Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
2010/07/16 06:50:05 (permalink)

Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza)

Good people,

I put up the second song on soundclick today. The first one was done about 5 months ago, mainly to figure out that site. This one has, I believe more of what I have learned and tried from this forum since then.

I would appreciate critique, no matter how frank.. The vocals is, I feel, still my bottleneck, but maybe with more practice  will bring some improvement, plus braking some of the ice or the technical barrier so I don't have to worry too much of those details when trying to do a song.

I hope the sound is a little better this time.

NEW VERSION:

http://www.soundclick.com...857&songID=9410151

About the song
Song is a tango originally...Featured in black and white movie of same title by its musical author Carlos Gardel, on horse racing....Much later in movie Scent of a woman, with Al Pacino dancing it.

Played/recorded at once with One Man Band rythm software, Hammond B3 organ emulator (Native Instruments B4), Proteus VX. Sonar LE for audio editing, mixing and mastering on Lenovo laptop with Audigy 2-ZS sound card. Jazz rythms using two keyboards (2-manuals).

post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/17 06:07:03

10 Replies Related Threads

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/16 09:27:23 (permalink)
    I liked this as I'm a fan of latin music.  I found no problems with the vocal and its a nice tune.  I did feel like there was a slight timing issue with some of the keyboards, but I couldn't quite pin down what it was.  Some congas would be nice.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    NoKey
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/16 18:03:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comment, Daryl..I appreciate it.

I will look into the timings, which is most likely some slack playing of mine, and I have been trying to improve too.

I will consider some congas if I can learn to click them maybe from a key, or substitute some percusion for a conga. I am not yet into detailing sounds, but I look forward to learnin that.

Another thing that I have been considering is to get some small set of real bongos, or maybe even a cajon, one of those boxes that the player sits on and can do some nice sounds. But that's a while from now.

Thanks again.
    post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/16 18:05:02
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/16 20:36:40 (permalink)
    I also like latin music...... this didn't do it for me..

The bass is like an octave too low to fit properly.

The reverb made it sound like it was in a small lounge.

The instruments sounded very midi in nature.

This could be much much better. The singing really didn't bother me..... I have heard some Mexican music on the local radio that is similar in genre and much worse in recording technique.

Most of my crits have to do with instrumentation and the recoding itself.

Don't take this wrong.....You said to be frank with the review.

I think this could be a decent song that will make you proud..... consider it a "first draft" and get to work on it refining it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    NoKey
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/16 20:49:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for your comment G.H.

I will certainly check on the Bass. That's not hard to change either.

I only put some effects from the Sheppi. I put no reverberation so far, for I am trying to learn one thing at a time, and precisely for your honest comment is why I posted it. So I'll try other reverberations, but so far I found those things hard to judge by myself.

I can also try to improve on the instruments..Yes they are all MIDI based.

In the future, at a time, I plan to add my acoustic guitar, some harmonica, and maybe some bongos, or a cajon, and some real maracas. I might make the cajon, and maybe with a microphone inside, as I saw in the web.

This will be little by little, as the techniques are still bogging me down.

Thank you again!
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/16 21:55:24 (permalink)
    trying to get a mid instrument to sound real takes a bit of work at times.  That was the biggest thing I heard. It is possible to make it sound realistic.

if the bass is midi...all you need to do it increment the key in the midi window up 12...... I used to go down 12 on bass with my other bass synth.

BMI/NSAI

NoKey
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/17 06:18:25 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

trying to get a mid instrument to sound real takes a bit of work at times.  That was the biggest thing I heard. It is possible to make it sound realistic.

if the bass is midi...all you need to do it increment the key in the midi window up 12...... I used to go down 12 on bass with my other bass synth.

Hi again, G.H.,

And I want to let you know how valuable and correct your good evaluation was on the song.

You have a good ear. The bass was not even a bass instrument, and the rest also did sound bad on synth quality and effects.

Therefore, I have remixed the song, basically fixing the errors you very well pointed out, and I would appreciate you checking me to see if this new version sounds more agreeable. I just can not waste the opportunity of  having the expertise of all you good people in this forum to overview this effort, if so they have the chance to do it. That's why I went to work back into it right away, and am back, for a second look and hearing.

This is the new version:

http://www.soundclick.com...857&songID=9410151

Thanks everyone!

Guitarhacker
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/17 14:19:12 (permalink)
    version 2....

I don't hear much difference.

the bass is still sounding weird.... I think there is an organ or something down in the lower registers that is clashing and playing wrong notes and swells in the wrong places.

The vox still has a hollow, recorded in a small space sound.  You know.... after listening to this several times to try to focus on what is right and what is wrong with it.... I could actually start to like the vocal sound..... it has a nostalgic.....dated.... retro sound to it..... it's pretty cool..... if everything else was fixed..... I could live with the vocals.

The piano has a good tone.  I like it.  the drums sound OK and are workable.

mute the bass and the organ and listen to it. then redo those tracks..... IDK if you even need the B3 in there.

I would go for more of a small jazz combo with an upright jazz bass, piano and a trap set..... loose the B3 and the synth bass.

I think I saw that you used some sort of automated program (One Man Band?) to create the tracks....... if I read that correctly.... that's part of the problem.  Many of the AP's will not render everything correct..... that's where you have to be really creative to get a decent sounding track.  There are just too many wrong notes and chords being played in this (by the AP) to have it be a pleasurable listen.

there is still work to do...... before posting again too soon, take the time to listen to it with a critical ear. I think you will hear the problems too, that need fixing.  Take your time, this has the potential to be a good song, but you have to take the time and do it right....shoddy work (leaving wrong notes and wrong chords)  doesn't sell.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/17 14:22:02

BMI/NSAI

NoKey
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/17 17:41:24 (permalink)
    Hi G.H.

and thank you very much for your good advice.

I will check into the whole thing as time permits..and re-do it most likely.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/18 18:19:20 (permalink)
    Hi Nokey - i like this - i love the vocal and piano - However i think the organ really has to go. I don't feel like it's doing anything other than distracting me from the other great sounds going on. Perhaps it could do with being brighter and quieter?

Let us hear any future versions you do...
    Regards
    Dave

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    NoKey
    Re:Scent of a woman (Por una cabeza) 2010/07/18 18:41:42 (permalink)
    Thank you Dayla,

I'll see about improving it based on your comments, and those of others.

post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/18 19:28:03

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1