Helpful ReplyScience Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s

Author
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
2017/03/01 18:15:44 (permalink)

Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s

http://www.lifehack.org/531982/science-says-guitar-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses?dgs=1

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:22:10 (permalink)
There are many things that influence bilateralism and bicameralism. (EDIT FOR MESH!)

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:22:19 (permalink)
EPH....WTH do you always have to go there?

Isn't it better to think with your upper faculties than you lower?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:25:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/03/08 18:15:31
My wife has known this for as long as she has known me.
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:27:20 (permalink)
It's a fact Mesh...look it up!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Mesh
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:33:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/03/01 18:40:07
No thanks....not interested in your scientology/cosmology.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 18:46:25 (permalink)
From what I've seen some players are more abstract while others are more concrete in terms of how they approach music. If you had formal training or have taken guitar lessons for a long time you're probably applying the technical without thinking about it. Some have even deeper abilities.

It would make sense that we use whatever is at our disposal when playing with others. This probably includes reading people to a fine degree and picking up on what they're doing even on an emotional level. 

I just took one of those Myers Briggs tests. Very informative.

Some personality types have massive sensitivity to their surroundings, some of them know almost immediately what's coming off of a person and if they are telling the truth or not. Sometimes these things are described as feeling a certain "vibe". People routinely give off these vibes without realizing it. Some people are extraordinarily good at picking those up.

It would only stand to reason that if this kind of person is a musician, they can feel the vibe of the other players and follow it very well. I don't think this is only guitar players.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Mesh
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 19:05:48 (permalink)
A few beers always helps me get into that 'vibe".

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 19:47:23 (permalink)
An article stating the very obvious about any competent musician capable of playing with others.

Equally applicable to any group activity relying on synchronising different people to do things together I would have thought. And switching off conscious thinking about the minutia of playing an instrument and going with muscle memory and rehearsed and ingrained habits applies to good instrumentalists, singers, typists, driving......

After all, all that practice is intended to get us to the point where we can play without thinking "press 1st finger left hand down behind third fret on 2nd string, pluck second string with plectrum, now press 3rd finger behind 4th fret on 3rd string, pluck 3rd string, bend string upwards a bit" all the time. And that applies to any instrument.

Nothing to do with whether someone learns material from sheet music or entirely by ear either, the mechanics are the same other than sheet music saves time working out what the notes are, though for many genres it doesn't convey style or 'feel' very well. And anyway, many musicians do both.

What I'd like to know is why I can co-ordinate my hands perfectly well enough to play guitar, bass, a few other stringed instruments and some of the accordion family but I'm hopeless at two-handed keyboard playing.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 21:50:26 (permalink)
Starise
From what I've seen some players are more abstract while others are more concrete in terms of how they approach music. If you had formal training or have taken guitar lessons for a long time you're probably applying the technical without thinking about it. Some have even deeper abilities.

This is something that I have noticed to an even greater extreme in piano players.  There seems to be those who can improvise chords and notes on the piano; and those that have to have a piece of sheet music in order to play.  My daughter has taken piano lessons for years and I am guessing that she falls into the....has to have sheet music to play, category. 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 22:29:18 (permalink)

Pfft ........ 

...... nuttin' wrong with my brane  

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 22:30:00 (permalink)
Mesh
No thanks....not interested in your scientology/cosmology.

+1

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/01 23:00:22 (permalink)
Not just guitar players, and probably not just musicians. 
Think about it. The human nervous system is demonstrably incapable of the speed necessary to use a feedback loop to synchronize ensemble playing. In other words your brain and muscle control are not fast enough to hear what another player is playing and match/complement his action in real time. There would be a very noticeable delay in your response. Even with an infinitely fast response time, the distance between players on a large stage and the limit of the speed of sound, although small compared to the nervous system latency, would be greater than most people could tolerate from a DAW. When players are ensemble, in the groove, they are constantly playing what they anticipate their fellow player will produce and synchronizing their internal clocks in order to make what appears to be coordinated play. It is actually independent play of consistent performance simultaneously. There is absolutely no way that you could add into this neurologic latency any conscious consideration and choice based on what you are hearing. Consciousness can guide your internal processing, by anticipating the direction you both will follow, but it is far to slow to be the mechanism for coordination. Try playing a totally "wrong" chord, and your partner will not hit it at the same time or even very close even if he is trying to "follow" you. 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/03 05:22:24 (permalink)
tlw
An article stating the very obvious about any competent musician capable of playing with others.

Equally applicable to any group activity relying on synchronising different people to do things together I would have thought. And switching off conscious thinking about the minutia of playing an instrument and going with muscle memory and rehearsed and ingrained habits applies to good instrumentalists, singers, typists, driving......

After all, all that practice is intended to get us to the point where we can play without thinking "press 1st finger left hand down behind third fret on 2nd string, pluck second string with plectrum, now press 3rd finger behind 4th fret on 3rd string, pluck 3rd string, bend string upwards a bit" all the time. And that applies to any instrument.

Nothing to do with whether someone learns material from sheet music or entirely by ear either, the mechanics are the same other than sheet music saves time working out what the notes are, though for many genres it doesn't convey style or 'feel' very well. And anyway, many musicians do both.

What I'd like to know is why I can co-ordinate my hands perfectly well enough to play guitar, bass, a few other stringed instruments and some of the accordion family but I'm hopeless at two-handed keyboard playing.

"Practice?" 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Science Says Guitar Players’ Brains Are Actually Different From Everybody Else’s 2017/03/06 18:44:16 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Not just guitar players, and probably not just musicians. 
Think about it. The human nervous system is demonstrably incapable of the speed necessary to use a feedback loop to synchronize ensemble playing. In other words your brain and muscle control are not fast enough to hear what another player is playing and match/complement his action in real time. There would be a very noticeable delay in your response. Even with an infinitely fast response time, the distance between players on a large stage and the limit of the speed of sound, although small compared to the nervous system latency, would be greater than most people could tolerate from a DAW. When players are ensemble, in the groove, they are constantly playing what they anticipate their fellow player will produce and synchronizing their internal clocks in order to make what appears to be coordinated play. It is actually independent play of consistent performance simultaneously. There is absolutely no way that you could add into this neurologic latency any conscious consideration and choice based on what you are hearing. Consciousness can guide your internal processing, by anticipating the direction you both will follow, but it is far to slow to be the mechanism for coordination. Try playing a totally "wrong" chord, and your partner will not hit it at the same time or even very close even if he is trying to "follow" you. 

Hey, Like a look ahead plug in! Right! 

I think much of it is in knowing another player and their style. This lets you pre think what they are likely to do next.
Sometimes a simple facial expression can be enough of a guide if you know them. Knowing the key is important even if you aren't reading music. I wouldn't include covers here. If they have the kind of personality that likes to change keys mid song simply slap them silly.

I can usually stay in the pocket playing a secondary instrument. For me it's more about staying out of the way. Two leads, not so much. Put them in a room together and let one of them kill the other one.

Playing without music can be really easy. If playing on piano simply pick a simple key like C or G. Works for me every time.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1