"Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2018/10/15 14:45:14 (permalink)

"Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth

https://www.dropbox.com/s.../secrets-2_eq.wav?dl=0

this is the 2nd mix of this one i've posted, dialing in the mix with previous comments and suggestions.
this is a tune written on synth, which for me, is a bit of a departure....
so i'm delving into new territory with this one.
my issues have been carving the right frequencies for the synth (which originally had a huge low end) and letting the kick and bass guitar still do their things....
this is my most recent effort.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

13 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/15 14:45:42 (permalink)
    so, some lyric backstory for those that are intersted:

I got to thinking about aboriginal beats, for some reason....
    something in the music that Virtualan (co-writer) offered up, drew me to this....

anyway, i found an aboriginal story, that has a tie-in to telling stories thru songs and dances....
    the aboriginal people have this thing they call the dreaming:
    The Dreaming -- also means to 'see and understand the law'

the aboriginines believe that the Ancestor Spirits came to the earth in human form and as they moved through the land,
    they created the animals, plants, rocks and other forms of the land that we know today.
    They also created the relationships between groups and individuals to the land, the animals and other people.
    Once the ancestor spirits had created the world, they changed into trees, the stars, rocks,
    watering holes or other objects.
    These are the sacred places of Aboriginal culture and have special properties.
    Because the ancestors did not disappear at the end of the Dreaming, but remained in these sacred sites,
    the Dreaming is never-ending, linking the past and the present, the people and the land.

one of the most famous of these stories is the Wagilag sisters....

The Wagilag Sisters

The story goes that the two Wagilag sisters, one of whom was pregmant, were fleeing their home and were being followed by clansmen. On their travels they come across many animals and plants and brought them in to life by naming them. Eventually, the Wagilag sisters set up camp beside a fertile waterhole at Mirarrmina. There, one of the sisters pollutes the waterhole and the pregnant sister gives birth, which causes Wititj the python to wake up angry and insensed. Wititj creates a storm on emerging from the waterhole and attempts to wash the two Wagilag sisters in to the well with his downpour (the first monsoon). The two Wagilag sisters dance and sing sacred songs in an attempt to diffuse the situation and keep them safe, but when the sisters become too exhausted to continue, the python is able to swallow them up (including child and dog)! However, soon after, Wititj develops stomach pains and groans skywards above the land where he attracts the attention of other great snakes who also rise up in to the sky. The great snakes talk and they discover they all have different names but they wonder why the python is ill. Realising he made a mistake, Wititj lies about what he has just eaten but the pain becomes so unbearable Wititj falls back to the land and vomits up the sisters who regain their life from the stinging bites of caterpillars. Undeterred, Wititj beats them with clapsticks and eats them again. Later, the Wagilag sister's clansmen, asleep in the hollow left by the python's fall, were visited in their dreams by the sisters who revealed to the clansmen the secrets of the songs and dances which had been performed in an effort to stop the rainstorm.

leads to my version of the story:
    "the secrets of the songs and dance"
    2 sisters, 1 with child
    runs away to trees and water in the wild
    birth of a child brings out the snake,
    and both their lives it will take
    rain and song to no avail, both are swallowed inside the tail
    snake does lie about the meal, the caterpillar bites to heal
    eaten again, and snake is gone,
    the dreams reveal before the dawn---
    the secrets of the songs and dance...
    secrets of the songs and dance...
    the secrets of the songs and dance.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/15 16:59:52 (permalink)
    I've heard this before, isn't this 'Secrets of The Song & Dance' off one of your earlier albums? I'm sure I have this track on a CD...? Maybe going nuts of course..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/15 17:05:18 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    I've heard this before, isn't this 'Secrets of The Song & Dance' off one of your earlier albums? I'm sure I have this track on a CD...? Maybe going nuts of course..

yep, going nuts!

LOL
    well, only sorta.... yes, you heard this back when i first started working on it.

the original title has been truncated.

the first time i posted this, was just for mix help.
    has not been released on any album yet.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/15 19:49:18 (permalink)
    I can't offer anything helpful with the mix but just wanted to make a suggestion.

You have this really interesting story about Aborigines told in your own words and music (and the music is top notch as usual) but I wasn't making a connection with what inspired you to write the song. If you hadn't explained the background I wouldn't have known what the lyrics were about.
    So I thought maybe add in something "Aboriginal" to get the listener in the ballpark. And of course that would likely be a didjeridu which would also likely be kinda weird in a rock song but the instrument can sound pretty cool.
    Just a suggestion and despite what I just said, I really like the song.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/16 17:59:14 (permalink)
    Not bad Bat, . That 80hz region is tricky to manage when mixing those bass heavy synth parts, I can feel your pain.  Nice enough track, musicianship up to your normal standards.  I use quite a bit of Mid/Side (channel tools) with pads and the like so I can scoop a hole in the middle of the mix for guitars and the such.  Just a furry brained idea for you to consider.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/16 18:24:30 (permalink)
    Great story and great music.  Nice one Bats!!
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/16 21:53:36 (permalink)
    gonzo, I love this man - I love your playing - but sometimes I like your voice more than your playing. I love your voice on this one.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/17 14:35:52 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    I can't offer anything helpful with the mix but just wanted to make a suggestion.

You have this really interesting story about Aborigines told in your own words and music (and the music is top notch as usual) but I wasn't making a connection with what inspired you to write the song. If you hadn't explained the background I wouldn't have known what the lyrics were about.
    So I thought maybe add in something "Aboriginal" to get the listener in the ballpark. And of course that would likely be a didjeridu which would also likely be kinda weird in a rock song but the instrument can sound pretty cool.
    Just a suggestion and despite what I just said, I really like the song.

hey bjorn,
    thanks for taking the time to check this one out

i like your take on the idea of a tie-in to the aboriginine part..

that idea of the digeridoo would be perfect, eh?
    right in the beginning.

i know someone in seattle that plays a mean digeridoo, i just don't think he's able to record it....
    hm.

maybe a sample would work.........
    i'm gonna hunt one!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/17 20:13:34 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Not bad Bat, . That 80hz region is tricky to manage when mixing those bass heavy synth parts, I can feel your pain.  Nice enough track, musicianship up to your normal standards.  I use quite a bit of Mid/Side (channel tools) with pads and the like so I can scoop a hole in the middle of the mix for guitars and the such.  Just a furry brained idea for you to consider.

hey wookiee!
    i can tell you this, i learned a lot from our collab,
    i've got a single stereo synth track for the running arppegiated thing, 
    and same for the 'sound effects', which includes all the 'pad' type things....

that i have spread with an s-1 plug to outside,
    and the arppegio track is just the opposite, with the S-1 bringing the stereo field tighter,
    sitting in the middle mostly, but sometimes panning around.

i'll continue to play with this some more,
    and i've also started playing with a cool vst called 'Vitamin', another waves plug that is very interesting.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/18 12:43:03 (permalink)
    I have that it can be useful Bat with some mixes.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/23 14:22:14 (permalink)
    well, got the midi for the kit,
    works great!
    trying 3 different kits now,
    will pick favorite

adding some new grooves, fills, cymbal work
    oughta be pretty freakin' cool!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/23 15:07:17 (permalink)
    I assume Kit you mean drums which one are you using?

batsbrew
    Re: "Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth 2018/10/23 18:08:19 (permalink)
    i'm using superior drummer avatar, drums from hell, and a tweaked ezdrummer kit.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1