Seemless song transitions on CD

Author
joemichael
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2009/09/29 09:44:36 (permalink)

Seemless song transitions on CD

I'm putting together an EP, and I'm looking to get some of the tracks to transition into each other seamlessly. In other words, one song ends, and the next one begins without any silent breaks when the CD plays back. I'm just wondering if anyone here has done this before. I'm thinking the best way to acheive this might be to (1) export each song, (2) combine them in a new project so that they run into eachother, (3) Export that project, (4) Create a new project and cut the clip where the tracks should be seperated, then (5) export each piece seperately and burn them to CD. Would this work, or is there an easier way to go about this?

6 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/29 10:16:36 (permalink)
    Joe I have done this on an album I produced recently. Firstly any tracks that need to flow need to be created (mixed) individually. Bearing in mind that endings of one track are flowing into beginnings of another. Watch out for keys as well here if you want things to go well tonally. eg if you are hearing two tracks at once for any amount of time do you want to hear one in C and the other in C#! (unless you are aiming for such dissonance)

I then created a mastering session and it was here that I did the joins. This did not happen with every track on the album but it could. I then mastered the group of tracks as one complete track. eg 3 tracks in a row did a segue. This can be a bit tricky as you might have to automate the mastering from track to track.

So now I have a big block of three tracks. I then opened this up in Cool Edit Pro and cut the three tracks up at the points I wanted the track ID's to be. You have to allow for the fact that someone might want to jump to the middle track of the group. All you have to do is make sure that where you make the cut the audio file is going through a zero crossing point. So it may mean a bit of zooming in to get it right.

Then you simply burn the master CD with those three tracks in a row (without any silence in between obviously) They will all play smoothly going from one to other without a hitch but you can still jump to the ID's if you need to. eg jump to the middle one if you want.

Hope that helps. It is quite a nice effect for sure. The only thing that is hard is getting the mastering to work over all the tracks in the group and as I said earlier automating that is the best way to go.

It depends how the tracks flow as well. I had tracks still ending as new ones started and you could still hear the previous one ending while the new one kicked in and if this is the case when the new one kicks in it is usually a quiter start while the previous track is still ending.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/09/29 10:36:13

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/29 10:18:47 (permalink)
    That does sound like it would work just fine. That's what Pink Floyd did on Dark Side... the songs transition and the track counter changes at that point.....and you can jump to that point by using the next track button.

You can do as you mentioned using the nudge, drag, to position the tracks properly, use envelopes to fade one down and the other up for a seamless transition.  When you get the entire project into your editor and get ready to burn, don't forget to set your transition time to ZERO..... or you will end up with a default setting of silence...usually 2 seconds between the tracks.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/29 10:34:03 (permalink)
    As per GuitarHacker and Jeff ...

I've done this a lot, with CDA, CD Architect; another reasonable standard for seemlessly fading tracks and making red book CDs

(Very easy, popular, and user friendly)

(SoundForge has CDA bundled with it, IIRC.)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    joemichael
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/30 09:28:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I'm almost ready to begin the mastering process, and this will surely help. I have at least two songs that I will be doing this with. Thanks again!
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/30 10:21:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, I had several songs I wanted to blend together, but they were in different keys & time signatures.

So, I imported each of the mixed, 24-bit wavs into a blank project, slid them to where I roughly wanted them, then composed a short synth-based seque to join them up - nudged each bit until they were EXACTLY where I wanted, then dumped the whole thing out into CD Architect.

In CDA, I then inserted track markers where I wanted the next song to begin and burnt it to CD.

Another good example of an album created like this is Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    Re:Seemless song transitions on CD 2009/09/30 17:43:30 (permalink)
    Philip

As per GuitarHacker and Jeff ...

I've done this a lot, with CDA, CD Architect; another reasonable standard for seemlessly fading tracks and making red book CDs

(Very easy, popular, and user friendly)

(SoundForge has CDA bundled with it, IIRC.)

+1 on that.  I made some gapless discs this weekend with CDA that I used for a DJ set.  Very easy to use software; only had to look at the help file once.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1