Selecting clips in folder

Author
jaydrake
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
2010/12/31 14:21:30 (permalink)

Selecting clips in folder

I can't figure out how to select a group of clips in a folder like in previous versions. It used to be that you could select the entire contents of a folder by clicking on the folder above the clicks.... Anyone else have this problem?

Jay Drake
www.drums2b.com
Win XP Professional
Sonar 8.53
Asus A8V Deluxe w/Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2 Gig DDR 400 Ram
RME Hammerfall 9652
2 UAD-1's, version 4.8
MTPAV usb Midi Interface
10k rpm sata Audio Drive
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB Dual

8 Replies Related Threads

panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2010/12/31 14:26:32 (permalink)
    I have.
    Now I use lasso tool to select clips. Then I'll group them.

This is a bug or feature, depending on the point of view.
    Old behaviour was better.

-Panu
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2010/12/31 14:48:28 (permalink)
    jaydrake

I can't figure out how to select a group of clips in a folder like in previous versions. It used to be that you could select the entire contents of a folder by clicking on the folder above the clicks.... Anyone else have this problem?

X1 now has two zones for clips.  If you have your mouse near the top of a clip or clips, you'll see it has a different cursor than when your mouse is toward the lower portion of a clip or clips.

Use the lower portion to select.  That should help.   It's tricky when you're zoomed out very far, unfortunately, but that's how it works now.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    jaydrake
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2010/12/31 15:56:33 (permalink)
    Billy, I don't think you understand what I was saying... For instance, I record 8 tracks of drums and they all reside in a drum track folder. It used to be that I could simply click on the track folder section above my 8 drum tracks and it would select all of the clips in the tracks directly below it. It doesn't do that any more.  It's very inconvenient to have to ctrl click each drum track or even lasso them...

Jay Drake
    www.drums2b.com
    Win XP Professional
    Sonar 8.53
    2 Gig DDR 400 Ram
    RME Hammerfall 9652
    2 UAD-1's, version 4.8
    MTPAV usb Midi Interface
    10k rpm sata Audio Drive
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2010/12/31 16:28:21 (permalink)
    jaydrake

Billy, I don't think you understand what I was saying... For instance, I record 8 tracks of drums and they all reside in a drum track folder. It used to be that I could simply click on the track folder section above my 8 drum tracks and it would select all of the clips in the tracks directly below it. It doesn't do that any more.  It's very inconvenient to have to ctrl click each drum track or even lasso them...

Yes I've seen that behavior - it appears there are some bugs in that area; but I've also seen it work as I said, but making sure you move your mouse to the lower part of the 'folder' track view whatever we call it (ie, the area that would select ALL the clips in the folder).

The mouse turns into a cross looking thing if you have the smart tool selected, as opposed to the i-beam.

It's iffy - but it's worked more than not by doing so.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    jaydrake
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2010/12/31 18:13:46 (permalink)
    I tried that.., I'll give it another go.

Jay Drake
    www.drums2b.com
    Win XP Professional
    Sonar 8.53
    2 Gig DDR 400 Ram
    RME Hammerfall 9652
    2 UAD-1's, version 4.8
    MTPAV usb Midi Interface
    10k rpm sata Audio Drive
    jaydrake
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2011/01/01 10:26:23 (permalink)
    Here's what's happening with me; If I select the lower half of the folder it only selects the top clip of the folder contents, not all the clips like it ought to.
    So far, this (for me) is the most frustrating new release of Cakewalk since I've been using it. (Floppy disk days).

Jay Drake
    www.drums2b.com
    Win XP Professional
    Sonar 8.53
    2 Gig DDR 400 Ram
    RME Hammerfall 9652
    2 UAD-1's, version 4.8
    MTPAV usb Midi Interface
    10k rpm sata Audio Drive
    dede
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1124
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2011/01/10 06:15:45 (permalink)
    s in that area; but I've also seen it work as I said, but making sure you move your mouse to the lower part of the 'folder' track view whatever we call it (ie, the area that would select ALL the clips in the folder, ).

jaydrake: same thing is happening to me, and I agree, ba-midi's solution doesn't work in my system: if I click on the"folded" clips (the solid bars that represent your clip content in the folder, they call it Composite Clip ) it selects the upper track, when I start to move the folder, transparency shows all tracks moving, but when I release the mouse(click) all tracks goes back to original position and just 1st track on folder stays in the new position. So I just moved one track Is this happening to you?

the only way to move my whole drum folder altogether is by:
    1-Selecting a range with smart tool on the upper part of the Composite Clip so you have the select cursor i-beam
    2-sliding it (allways smart tool)  moving smart tool to the lower part of the Composite Clip

but if you want to work on a bunch of clips inside the folder (not a time selection) this doesn't work.

this is a bug.

Mind:
    Say you have a drum folder like I have (8 tracks) I have an intro (8 bars in the Composite Clip), then 10 sec silence (blank in the Composite Clip) and the drums again for 1st verse. If I select-move using the above method, the first section (intro), I can move just 1st track on folder (BD), but if I do the same procedure with second section, after the 10 sec silence (verse), I'm able to move track2 (SD) but track1 BD remains in its original place (???!!!)

Weird

Also: I have a little editing on my drum track, 1 sec clip that I moved with previous Sonar 6 vers to fix a drummer timing problem, so it's a tiny clip overlapping (crossfade) previous and next clip, classic editing, and this is offcourse repeated on evry track on that drum folder. In Sonar 6, if I wanted to move all those clips, I couldn't click on the Composite Clip to select them, cause if I did, i selected the previos and next clips (cause they're overlapping). I was forced to select every clip on everytrack on the folder (CTRL Click) , very annoying.
    Now on X1, I can select them neither, as if O click on that tiny edited section in the Composite Clip, it does..nothing, no selection. So I still have to select every clip on everytrack on the folder (CTRL Click).

At least THAT didn't change!

Cheers

dd

D.D.
    www.dedeland.com

SONAR Platinum 64bit
    SONAR X3e both 32bit and 64bit
    Alpha Track + TouchDaw
    ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Chipset Intel Z170 Express)
    Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ/RAM 16Go 
    RME Fireface UC
    Win 7 x64 ultimate French
    Sonar running in English
    dede
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1124
    Re:Selecting clips in folder 2011/01/10 08:01:28 (permalink)

D.D.
    www.dedeland.com

SONAR Platinum 64bit
    SONAR X3e both 32bit and 64bit
    Alpha Track + TouchDaw
    ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Chipset Intel Z170 Express)
    Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ/RAM 16Go 
    RME Fireface UC
    Win 7 x64 ultimate French
    Sonar running in English
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1