Selling > Transfer DPro licence

Author
krugger
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/06/16 12:43:08 (permalink)

Selling > Transfer DPro licence

Hi,

Not sure Dimension Pro is meant for me to be honest and I would like to sell it.

Anybody knows the procedure to transfer the licence to another user?

I had to register the product to get the v1.2 update.

Please let me know anyone how to transfer licence
Thanks
Kr.
post edited by krugger - 2006/06/17 05:43:31

7 Replies Related Threads

pjl
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/17 00:16:17 (permalink)
    To quote from the Dim Pro license agreement in the manual"

You may NOT transfer the product. If transferred, the original and subsequent owners forfeit all right to use the software.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/17 00:42:05 (permalink)
    Yea,

cakewalk doesn't allow you to re-sell your Cake products. In practical terms, it means someone that you "give" the software to can't register it, can't get updates, etc. et al. And they don't get discounts as being an owner of cakewalk products.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    krugger
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/17 05:35:04 (permalink)
    I find this a bit harsh to be honest. In other circumstances, I'd be happy with it but in my situation, I bought a Macbook (hence with the Intel chip) and the Dimension that comes out of the box is version 1.0, which is not Mac Intel compatible.

To upgrade to v1.2 and be able to use the application in any way, I had to download the update. However, as you know I have to register the product to obtain this download.

It's kinda unfair to force someone to register to obtain the only version that would work on their system. I feel like the flexibility given to other users (who don't have to download the update) wasn't given to me at all.
    Otherwise, I'd have easily skipped registration and would have had 30 days to decide if I want to use the product or not.
    beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/17 10:31:12 (permalink)
    Oh I do agree.

Most things we buy have a second-hand value, after all. There should be some way of transferring the license.

The software industry has for years used the 'licensing' idea to get round a number of points which relate to normal purchases (eg must be fit for purpose)...and effectively banning you from selling it seems extreme to me.

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/17 11:46:31 (permalink)
    Some software manufacturers do allow license transfers. Incidentally, they resort to some thing of copy-protection scheme which somehow ensures that the seller doesn't actually keep a copy of the software before selling it.
    In the rgc:audio operation, we had many cases of license transfers abuse. We got many troubles with 2nd hand customers receiving a copy of the software, but the seller kept it registered to himself so updates were routed to him. The 2nd hand, good-will buyer asked for support, believing they had full rights, in simultaneous with the original buyer. Then we had cases with a product been sold 4 or 5 times. This forces to gray situations, where the result is always a deeply unsatisfied customer.

It might be possible to offer both, dongled-and-allowed-to-sell, and free-but-final versions, but I personally don't think most customers would be willing to pay extra for a dongle and having it installed just to get a product they'd be allowed to sell 2nd hand.

e-Commerce is tricky, and needs to evolve. In the meantime, I believe the current situation is the cleanest.

-René
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/19 11:19:50 (permalink)
    what dont you like about it?

I will admit that I didnt care for it when i first bought it...since i already had the original from P5 V2. guess i was expecting more out of it with the added sounds and presets. but now...its probably one of my favorite synths to use. I find that with a little tweaking, I have been able to create some really dark sounds...and thats all that i really wanted from a synth,....

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Selling > Transfer DPro licence 2006/06/19 20:39:08 (permalink)
    I would not sell mine. ;)+) But that's just me.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1