Send or output

Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
2007/04/29 21:54:05 (permalink)

Send or output

I thought I was a pretty smart guy. I thought I was pretty clever by figuring out how to send multiple tracks to a bus to apply the same effect to all of them. But due to my newb-ness, I had never actually tried to Insert A Send. I was using the output to Effect Send 1. Do I hear a collective "Duh!"? Now I find that a Send is its own thing. So I wonder, how is a Send superior to using the output? In the effects you can apply ( I see all those dials and meters in a Send)? Thanks for the help, fellas.
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter

2 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Send or output 2007/04/29 22:10:03 (permalink)
    I went through the same thing. Here's my thoughts, which others of deeper understanding can correct if I'm wrong...

Generally, when using it for effects processing, you will set up a bus and put some effect on it. But you'll mute the dry signal. E.g. if it's a reverb, you'll mute the dry output of the effect and just output the reverb tail stuff. So you would use the output of the track to send the main part of the signal, then you'd do a Send to send it to one or more effects buses, which will only add the effect output to it.

This way, you can control the dry signal of the track separately (via the track fader) from the amount of f/x you are adding to it via the send (the level of the send.) So you would use them both, but for different reasons. Leave the f/x buss fader at 0dB and use the send level of each track to adjust the amount of effect that track will get (the hotter the signal from that track that you push through it, the hotter the reverb tail - or whatever is is - will be.)

You'd normally turn on the Post button, which means that the level of the send is also affected by the fader level. So you use the send to control how much effect you are adding to the track, but then it also will go up or down with the level of the track (which you'd probably want since the louder the track the more of the effect you'd need to maintain the relative volumes of the two paths.) But you might end up adjusting the fader and then adjusting the send level if you want to change that relationship.

So it might look something like:

track (output) -> master bus (output) -> main faders
    (send) -> reverb bus (output) -> master bus (output) -> main faders
    (send) -> chorus bus (output) -> master bus (output) -> main faders
    post edited by droddey - 2007/04/29 22:19:11

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: Send or output 2007/04/29 23:18:56 (permalink)
    Yeah - what Dean said, plus...

Not superior, just different techniques to do different things.

A very simple & common example:

Set the output destinations of a multi-out drum instrument's tracks to a buss where you have inserted a compressor plugin to apply full kit compression). That buss's output dest. is set to the main (last before hardware) buss.

On the snare track, you insert a send to another buss that contains a reverb plugin the output of which also goes to the main buss. You might share that reverb plugin buss (to conserve CPU) amongst other audio sources by inserting sends to the reverb buss in their tracks too.

As you can imagine, after this, things can get very complicated... if you want.

<edit> I also think that the things you figure out for yourself are also some of the most rewarding so I didn't join in the collective "duh" !
    post edited by Rev. Jem - 2007/04/29 23:22:45
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1