Separate Tracks

Author
JoeG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/05/11 09:23:34 (permalink)

Separate Tracks

Very Basic (and possibly dumb!) question. Decided to record myself playing some of Djangos tunes using Guitar Tracks 2, Recorded the Rhythm guitar on Track one, recorded the lead on Track 2, I noticed when muting track one that the rhythm is also recorded on Track 2, what can I do to separate them?.

It's not picking it up from the speakers as I'm monitoring via headphones whilst recording track 2.

Is it my soundcard, my microphone or is it supposed to be like that.

6 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/11 09:32:31 (permalink)
    is it supposed to be like that.

No, it's because your soundcard's output is looping back into your recording - if you have a Soundblaster card go into the recording properties and turn off 'what u hear'. if it's a built-in card like a Realtek you need to make sure that only the input that you're using is checked/ticked. So if you're using 'line in', make sure that's the only box ticked in the recording properties options.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    JoeG
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/11 09:47:04 (permalink)
    Maybe not a daft question after all.

I need a bit more help (and many thanks for taking the trouble so far), It is a Realtek soundcard. I'm using a Mic to record acoustic guitar, where do I find the tick boxes you mentioned, there are so many audio options via control panel, Realteks interface, GT2 options etc.

jamesg1213
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/11 11:27:02 (permalink)
    No problem Joe, we're here to help! Right click on the little loudspeaker icon usually bottom right of your desktop screen - that'll open up your windows mixer, then choose volume control-options-properties- recording (something like that - I'm at work on a Mac at the moment!) and you should see the various tick boxes 'line-in', 'mic', 'wav' etc - make sure only mic is ticked.

Jyemz

JoeG
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/11 12:18:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for your patience.

Opening up the little speaker icon gives me a row of options (Wave, mic, line in etc) all of which have tick boxes that will mute the item. Going through options/properties gives me the chance to choose mic/line in the mixer panel but the tick boxes are purely for whether I want to display the volume controls for recording/line/mic/stereo mix.

I suppose there must be a way, in order to record my lead lines I need to actually hear the rhythm part. Not sure what to do next.
    jamesg1213
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/11 12:32:21 (permalink)
    Doing this from memory Joe, 'cos I used to have a Realtek..but the set-up is different with my M-Audio...there should be 2 sections in that mixer, one for recording, one for playback..in the recording/properties/options, check the box for 'mic', don't mute anything else, but make sure nothing else is ticked either, especially 'WAV' - if that is ticked it will send all sounds from your soundcard (including the last thing you recorded) back into your soundcard, as you record, that's why you're getting the 'bleed' onto your second track.

Wish I could show you a screenshot of it, that would be much easier...

Jyemz

JoeG
    RE: Separate Tracks 2007/05/12 05:37:22 (permalink)
    Not working I'm afraid. I don't have the options to check/tick the boxes you mention. I can either mute or not, the only other options are to display the mixer or not. If I mute WAVE then there is no sound at all.

If I tick Simultaneous playback/recording on GT2 it bleeds into each track, if I uncheck it I get separate tracks but can't listen to the rhythm track when I'm soloing.

Very frustrating, but thanks anyway, I get the feeling that you have the answer but I'm not interpreting it correctly.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1