Separating out Soft Synth Tracks

Author
Sheds
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2017/04/21 00:11:11 (permalink)

Separating out Soft Synth Tracks

Hey everyone -- is there a way in Sonar to separate soft synth drums -- Superior or Addictive, etc.  -- into separate audio tracks  once the drums have been recorded (I know how to do it if I separate before recording).

In the video below, Pete Woj talks about it in Studio One, but I can't seem to find something similar in Sonar.  I may just be missing it.

Thanks for any help.

https://youtu.be/UUJHh8GFcBE

I have the latest version 2017.03 (23.3.0.51) running on Windows 10.

10 Replies Related Threads

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 04:47:35 (permalink)
    Insert an Audio track.
    Change Input to - Addictive drums> choose the output of the drum you want.
    Open AD2's console page (KIT)
    Change the routing of the drum. (Prefader if you want to bypass the AD2 mixer all together.

Kamikaze
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 04:49:06 (permalink)
    My thread on setting up routing may help with some pointers about settings in AD2. Note the link at the top to the help article on the same subject
    http://forum.cakewalk.com...-Console-m3584952.aspx

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 19:03:50 (permalink)
    Sheds
    Hey everyone -- is there a way in Sonar to separate soft synth drums -- Superior or Addictive, etc.  -- into separate audio tracks  once the drums have been recorded (I know how to do it if I separate before recording).

In the video below, Pete Woj talks about it in Studio One, but I can't seem to find something similar in Sonar.  I may just be missing it.

Thanks for any help.

https://youtu.be/UUJHh8GFcBE

I have the latest version 2017.03 (23.3.0.51) running on Windows 10.

Not clear what you meant by "separate audio tracks  once the drums have been recorded (I know how to do it if I separate before recording)".

If you meant by recording the drum patterns in to a MIDI track, yes it will work.  Just follow the suggestions made by Kamikaze and you should be good to go as far as separating out the audio tracks prior to recording the audio. 

I also love the drum map and track template for AD2 that was provided by Cakewalk.  It is my go to for setting up a project with AD2, using one MIDI track and 14 audio tracks.

You only need one MIDI track with notes mapped to the available AD2 kit pieces for this to work.

But if you have already recorded the AD2 drums master as a stereo audio track, you will have to start over, using separate audio tracks for each kit piece.

Your existing MIDI should still be good for triggering the kit.  But for the intended audio result you will need multiple audio outs from AD2 from the start that you can process separately either live during recording or afterwards, during mixing in the DAW.

This video explains the AD2 multi outputs for Sonar starting at around 9:06 minutes.

Addictive drums set up in Sonar Platinum

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Sheds
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 20:11:17 (permalink)
    Ok, nevermind everyone -- I just figured it out.  Sorry to have taken any time.  I just wasn't thinking.  By looking at what you wrote and then playing around, I figured it out.

Thanks much

----------------

First of all -- thanks for the replies -- I really appreciate it.  And thanks Kamikaze for the link.

I just got back in and haven't gone through them yet, but since abacab wasn't clear about what I was asking (sorry), I wanted to throw that out quickly.  I was meaning to ask if it is  possible, in SONAR, to take a recorded soft synth drum part and separate out the different instruments after recording.  I know it can be done before the recording, but . . . . 

In other words -- say I have a recorded Superior Drums (or Addictive) soft synth MIDI drum track -- already done -- and I want to move that into separate tracks for bass, snare, and so forth -- is there a way to do that?  Or is it one of those things that you just have to do earlier, and if you didn't, oh well.  I think this is what abacab is saying,  "But if you have already recorded the AD2 drums master as a stereo audio track, you will have to start over, using separate audio tracks for each kit piece."  And I think Kamikaze's thorough link concerns setting up prior to recording.

However, there seems to be a way in Studio One to do what I am asking about.  At this point in the video from above (the clip below starts at starts at around 10 minutes), the guy shows it working that way fairly smoothly in that DAW with a prerecorded drum track.

https://youtu.be/UUJHh8GFcBE?t=10m4s

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

post edited by Sheds - 2017/04/21 20:44:49
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 21:07:50 (permalink)
    If we are specifically referring to splitting a MIDI drum track, yes it can be done.  I have Studio One Prime (free) and have tested that feature there, which works well with drum tracks.

Right click on the MIDI clip in Studio One and select "Explode pitches to tracks".  This works because each kit piece is mapped to only one MIDI note number, so everything still matches up after exploding them. 

As far as I know, there is no way to do this in Sonar.  Download S1 Prime and try it out. You could export the MIDI drum track from Sonar, explode it in S1 Prime, then export the new drum tracks back to Sonar.
    http://www.presonus.com/press/press-releases/Studio-One-3-Prime

But I am really OK with having all my drum kit in one MIDI track, so I will probably only need this feature once in a blue moon. But I could see that if you wanted to use more than one drum synth, it might be useful to split it up.

Prime is pretty useless otherwise, since you can't use VSTs.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 21:30:33 (permalink)
    I've used both methods (splitting the Midi or splitting the audio).

To me, it makes no sense to have the Midi split up over different tracks - certainly at the composition stage I *need* to see all the different hits and how they relate to each other, (making sure my virtual drummer doesn't sprout a 3rd arm or leg) and making micro adjustments to timing, velocities etc.

I split all the different kit pieces out to their own audio tracks with whatever drum vsti I use, but it's usually BFD or SD3

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/21 22:30:42 (permalink)
    I haven't updated to the latest version of Plat so I have not tried the new PVR, but won't it show a bunch of Midi tracks all overlayed now?  Because I agree with Jonesey about wanting all my drums in one track so I can edit intelligently. 
    I find I get all I need buy using the built in GUI drum mixers that come with most Drum VST's. Especially AD2 and Strike2 they have almost all the processing built in. Session Drummer has nothing so needs multi outputs. 
    Only the reverb is sometimes an issue. The built in reverbs are sort of OK but if I want better then I have to separate that snare or tom to it's own audio track so I can dial in what I want.   

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Kamikaze
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/23 15:44:58 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    I've used both methods (splitting the Midi or splitting the audio).

To me, it makes no sense to have the Midi split up over different tracks - certainly at the composition stage I *need* to see all the different hits and how they relate to each other, (making sure my virtual drummer doesn't sprout a 3rd arm or leg) and making micro adjustments to timing, velocities etc.

I split all the different kit pieces out to their own audio tracks with whatever drum vsti I use, but it's usually BFD or SD3

I used to split the midi for drums so that I could focus n the dynamics of the Hi Hats or Rides, as they would have some hits at the same time as a snare. Sometimes I would treat it as a midi tarck for one hand and one for the other (but shere the kick wit the left had). Also sometimes I'd record the midi in two takes, fosucing on playing the hat's, then the snare and kick, or hats and snare, and add the kick in after. But since falling for AD2 Transform tool for dynamics, I want the midi all on one track.

Roo Stercogburn
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/24 14:54:56 (permalink)
    I insert the VST I want to use, e.g. Battery and clone the audio track a number of times, accepting default settings. Then I just assign the input to each track from one of the Battery output tracks. Inside Battery itself I then assign the individual drums to where I want them to go. If I need another track I just clone the original again, rince and repeat.

One of the things I've always liked about the cloning method is that the track is automatically in the same folder and there's generally less faffing around.

Because there are some instruments, e.g. drums, on which I always want separated outputs I have them set up in my default template.

Fireface UCX, i7-6700K, 64GB RAM, 500GB M.2 system drive, 4 x 7200RPM data drives, GTX970, Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum.

Fix Delete Hole. Thanks.
    elsongs
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re: Separating out Soft Synth Tracks 2017/04/27 11:39:49 (permalink)
    There's a .CAL file (remember THOSE?) that splits up a MIDI drum track into separate note tracks. I believe it's one of the default .CAL files that come with Sonar.

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Web: www.elsongs.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
    CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
    MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
    MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1