Serious problem w/ Sonar 5.2 audio engine?

Author
Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
2006/05/11 09:02:38 (permalink)

Serious problem w/ Sonar 5.2 audio engine?

Hi,

These 2 click tracks:
http://www.millcreekmedia.com/ianferrin/temp/4bar_click_1.mp3
http://www.millcreekmedia.com/ianferrin/temp/4bar_click_2.mp3

These 2 click tracks are audio renderings w/i sonar 5.2 of the EXACT same, 100% quantized midi track. The cowbell is Sonars midi click and the other percussion is the quantized midi playing a hardware synth.

Sonar is stuttering by an absolutely HUGE, unworkable amount.

What could possibly be causing Sonar to be screwing up so horribly?

This track was recorded withing a mostly finished song with about 12 tracks of stereo audio and maybe 10-15 fx plugins and 0 softsynths running. The cpu meter is at ~25% load and disk at ~12%. I needed to go back and add a midi part. Usually I use midi at the front of a project and don't have a problem.

For reference - Here is the isolated midi track. When I load this midi only track minus all the audio from it's original cwp it sounds fine. So it says to me Sonar can't render this audio while it's busy using 25% of the CPU for audio rendering?

http://www.millcreekmedia.com/ianferrin/temp/4bar_midi_click.cwp

Any help appreciated.

Ian

3 Replies Related Threads

Master Chief [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: Serious problem w/ Sonar 5.2 audio engine? 2006/05/11 09:53:34 (permalink)
    What sound card, driver mode, and latency are you using? Usually timing problems of this sort are caused by SONAR trying to use the wrong buffer size when talking to the sound card, often fixed by re-running Wave Profiler.
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Serious problem w/ Sonar 5.2 audio engine? 2006/05/11 20:47:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ron Kuper [Cakewalk]
    What sound card, driver mode, and latency are you using? Usually timing problems of this sort are caused by SONAR trying to use the wrong buffer size when talking to the sound card, often fixed by re-running Wave Profiler.

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for replying.

Delta 1010 (Driver v# 5.10.0051), WDM - 44/24, 127.7ms total latency (2 buffers), DMA buffer size is 256 samples both w/i Sonar and in the Delta panel.

Originally the Delta panel was at 384 samples, but I changed it to 256 to match Sonar, restarted Sonar, ran the wave profiler again, exited and restarted sonar. The results are still the same. The audio, including the audio metrinome seem to play back flawlessly. The midi playback remains terrible. (I'll post new audio proof if you'd like - but it's basically the same sloppy playback)

Perhaps it's just a corrupted .cwp file? When I play midi from a fresh start, it seems fine. But withing this semi-big song it's skewed.

Thanks,

Ian

tomek
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Serious problem w/ Sonar 5.2 audio engine? 2006/05/12 02:42:19 (permalink)
    When I play midi from a fresh start, it seems fine. But withing this semi-big song it's skewed

Your timing problem appears to be affect by either CPU / HD load, or by something in the "semi-big song". (rogue plug-in, etc)
    In oder to get anywhere, we must start eliminating variables.

You seem to be leaning to the possibility it's a CPU load related issue,
    but the following will quickly prove out that, and a few outher possibilties:

1) create a new project, and drop your latency to aprox 1.9ms
    2) insert a heavy softsynth (one you are not using in the "semi-big song") and turn it's audio channel way down
    3) records some midi notes into a few bar loop
    4) keep duplicating that synth and it's midi track until you've exceeded 25% CPU
    5) do what you do with your h/w synth

Does the problem persists?

Let's take it from there. :)
    Tomek

-edit typo
    post edited by tomek - 2006/05/12 02:59:27
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1