Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo

Author
Dinod
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2007/12/18 23:43:07 (permalink)

Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo

Hi All,
Yay my first post or FAQ that I cannot find a search on.
Where would the TEMPO button be or how can I change the beat tempo in SD2? I want to slow some of the beats down. When I try and change the tempo in the track field it just shortens the track window length size but does nothing for how it plays?

It's all new to me- as I've been using hardware up until 2 weeks ago- my buddies talked me into this Sonar thing- so here I am and now you have to put up with another middle age rookie
HeHe!

Dino
post edited by Dinod - 2007/12/19 00:31:13

Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1149
    RE: Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo 2007/12/19 00:43:35 (permalink)
    I am not quite sure I understand about "slowing the tempo down in the track field".

However:

I am assuming that you have worked out how to trigger SD's patterns, so that they follow the song's beat?

SD should then follow the tempo of the song, which can be set at any time throughout the song, and reset again anywhere else. So if you alter the song's tempo (View Tempo, or Views Toolbar Tempo ) SD will follow it

AFAIK, if you want to actually alter the position of drum hit(s) in time during one measure, you will have to write a MIDI file (or edit one that's already there; the one you are using in SD), assign it to another pad in SD, then trigger that pad at the required time. I _suppose_ you could do a rellay short alteratin of the Tempo <G???>

I hope I understood the question and HTH.

Nick

Nick
    Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
    Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
    Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
    Dinod
    RE: Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo 2007/12/19 10:53:52 (permalink)
    Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the answer. I'm just used to realtime hardware knobs. Figuring when I load up Session drummer and play along I would like the abilty to speed up or slow down the drums and then record my music.
    I have always recorded the drum track along with my rythem track and then I'll go back and make other tracks for lead , Vocals ect: No midi yet!

One day at a time.
    I am reading Sonar 6 Power comprehensive guide
    OldNick
    RE: Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo 2007/12/19 16:38:47 (permalink)
    OK. So you want to use SD as a rhythm box with some "life" and then record "live" with it?

AFAICS You will have to be more structured than that I fear. For a start, if you do not slow the tempo of the piece and you are going to use any parts that are MIDI, then you will simply get out of whack with beats and measures. However, the "limitation" of SD is that it plays at whatever the current tempo is.

BTW. Don't get too excited about SD. I am having a lot of glitches with it, if I try to use it for anything other than a beat box. They are not fatal, but irritating.

I am about to _try_ to report them as bugs, but I do not have a clue about how to place a bug report. They put you through the wringer. For this sort of bug it does not seem justified.....however....

see
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1246160&mpage=1&key=
    for details.

If you need any help with SD, I have just sen the light, so I make no assumptions about what you know when I describe something (unless I say so, as I did <G>)

Nick

Nick
    Dinod
    RE: Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo 2007/12/25 17:59:42 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I'm back after much reading and confusion.
    I have not figured out yet how to make the drums play along with my recorded guitar track. This is possible?
    Please tell me how!
    Yes I am trying to use it as a beat box with all of the breaks and rolls in a set pattern that I can save as my own for one particular song. As soon as I get this figured out I can play but for now I have to learn this program and it seems difficult.

Dino
    OldNick
    RE: Session Drummer 2 How can I change the tempo 2007/12/25 20:38:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dinod

Hi,
    I'm back after much reading and confusion.
    I have not figured out yet how to make the drums play along with my recorded guitar track. This is possible?
    Please tell me how!
    Yes I am trying to use it as a beat box with all of the breaks and rolls in a set pattern that I can save as my own for one particular song. As soon as I get this figured out I can play but for now I have to learn this program and it seems difficult.

Dino

OK. I assumed you wanted to lay down a drum track then play along with that. That is by far the simplest way to go about it. Get the MIDI right first, then follow it. You can make the MIDI lively enough that it still does not sound metronomic.

However, if you want to do a guitar rhythm track first, there are several ways around this. The latest is AudioSnap. I have not tried this yet, so I cannot really help in any depth. But you can extract a beat from an audio track, based on transients. There is also a method (Inert Menu - Tempo) where you can click a button to get a tempo. This means you will have to click the whole song, slowing down where you want to keep time with your playing.

Basically, once you work with MIDI you have to think a bit differently. Don't think of live changes so much. Just insert tempo changes wherever they are needed. That requires a bit of trial and error, but gets easier to judge as you get used to it.

Use the MIDI tracks, not Session Drummer, to do your work

If you can suss out AudioSnap (try searching to forums) then that apparently does a pretty clever job.

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/12/25 20:57:05

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1