Session Drummer Questions......

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/02/15 18:57:12 (permalink)

Session Drummer Questions......

Hi all

I am a SD2 user but I was wondering in regards to session drummer it has some nice sounds but the thing that puts me off is the fact it only has 3 toms and 2 crashes and 1 ride

My normal Set up is 2-3 rack toms and 2 floor toms 2 crashes ! ride and 1-2 chinas

I use my Roland TD-20 to trigger all the sounds when playing.

Is there anyway to make this type of set up in session drummer or is it just 3 toms 2 crashes and one ride.

Hope some one can help as I would like to give it a go but theres no point if I cant play like I normaly would.

Thansk to all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

10 Replies Related Threads

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:04:01 (permalink)
    actually it's extremely easy to do it. set up a pattern in your Roland TD-20 and then record it to audio. use audio snap to insert transients for every drum sound that has been recorded. then again in audiosnap click the button which splits each sound in its own clip.

open session drummer and drag the recorded bass drum clip to the bass drum icon inside session drummer mixer. Now this sound will be replaced with the one from your Roland TD-20. do the same for every sample you need to replace and you'll have your custom kit in no time!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Norrie
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:11:08 (permalink)
    What I am wanting to do though is actualy record in midi like I am doing in SD2 but in session drummer but from what I can see with session drummer I am stuck with 2 rack toms 1 floor tom kick snare hats 2 crashes and a ride.

I know how to record useing session drummer thats not te problem the problem is the amount of gear that can be used :)

I would like to be able to ad another floor tom in to that and a china

That is what I am asking can I do ?

I havent played about with it yet beause ive always used SD2 and its great I would like to try session drummer but theres no point if I cant do this
    post edited by Norrie - 2011/02/15 19:12:55

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    giankap
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:29:27 (permalink)
    you didn't understand what I meant but it doesn't matter. anyway you can't add an extra tom as a tom like in sd2. what you can do, is use the 4pad electronic kit in the mixer and there load whatever you want.

i didn't describe it in details in my previous post. so you want to use session drummer but you are not satisfied with the samples it has. if you have any sound library of drum sounds (kicks, snares, high hats etch) you can just drag and drop them in the icon of each instrument inside the mixer of session drummer. if i understood well, you like the drum samples from your Roland TD-20. i suggested to record the Roland TD-20 in audio and then use those samples inside session drummer. then create your project drum in midi, the sounds will be the one you wanted.

p.s by sd2, you mean superior drummer 2, right? why on earth you want to waste time with session drummer when you have the best drummer software in the market?

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Norrie
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:39:29 (permalink)
    giankap

you didn't understand what I meant but it doesn't matter. anyway you can't add an extra tom as a tom like in sd2. what you can do, is use the 4pad electronic kit in the mixer and there load whatever you want.

i didn't describe it in details in my previous post. so you want to use session drummer but you are not satisfied with the samples it has. if you have any sound library of drum sounds (kicks, snares, high hats etch) you can just drag and drop them in the icon of each instrument inside the mixer of session drummer. if i understood well, you like the drum samples from your Roland TD-20. i suggested to record the Roland TD-20 in audio and then use those samples inside session drummer. then create your project drum in midi, the sounds will be the one you wanted.

p.s by sd2, you mean superior drummer 2, right? why on earth you want to waste time with session drummer when you have the best drummer software in the market?

Sorry your not understanding me at all.

I want to use my Td20 to trigger the SOUNDS in Session Drummer 3. I know how to do all of that so its not a problem.

Yes I meen Superior Drummer 2 I use my Td20 to triggger all its sounds

I was saying that I do like the samples in Session drummer thats why I would like to use it.

The only thing I needed to know whas could I add Extra toms etc.

You just confused things when you saidset up a pattern in your Roland TD-20 and then record it to audio. use audio snap to insert transients for every drum sound that has been recorded. then again in audiosnap click the button which splits each sound in its own clip.

The easyer way would be 2 use 2 midi cables to get the sounds out the Brain then freeze the tracks after so they are audio much easyer.

Anyways...........

Yeah all I was looking for was to know if you can add extra toms etc in to session drummer.

If the answers no then thats cool I can just keep useing Superior drummer 2

It would just be nice to use session drummer aswell

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    giankap
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:42:20 (permalink)
    i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. it was along day today in this forum. not a pleasant one. lots of fighting.... for nothing. it just burned my brain. cheers!

sincerely,

Ioannis

some work
    Norrie
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/15 19:48:23 (permalink)
    giankap

i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. it was along day today in this forum. not a pleasant one. lots of fighting.... for nothing. it just burned my brain. cheers!

Lol dont be sorry man !

Its easy to read over a post and not take something in plus I dont explain myself well a lot of the time.

Thanks for confurming I cant add things in though

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/16 14:32:33 (permalink)
    Norrie,
    Other drum sounds can be added to the drum pads. Add toms, add cymbals, add percushion instruments, what ever you don't see in the visual kit that you want to add.
    Norrie
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/16 17:44:16 (permalink)
    Thatsastrat

Norrie,
    Other drum sounds can be added to the drum pads. Add toms, add cymbals, add percushion instruments, what ever you don't see in the visual kit that you want to add.

Awesome so just because there not on the screen dont meen you cant play them ?

So I could set up a kit with Hats 2 x Crashes 1 x China 2 xrack toms 2 x floor toms and a kick and snare ?

I didnt know that so thanks for giveing me the heads up !

I will give it a try the first chance I get will be nice to play with some of the sounds :)

Any tips on anything I should do to be able to add the extra instruments ?

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/16 18:30:17 (permalink)
    Norrie,

I haven't tried the pad, but I think there are only 4 of them.  So you could add your extra tom, and extra crash and a couple of other sounds and "play" them if your controller has pads enough.  I don't have SD here in front of me, but that would be the first thing to try.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Norrie
    Re:Session Drummer Questions...... 2011/02/16 18:43:33 (permalink)
    AT

Norrie,

I haven't tried the pad, but I think there are only 4 of them.  So you could add your extra tom, and extra crash and a couple of other sounds and "play" them if your controller has pads enough.  I don't have SD here in front of me, but that would be the first thing to try.

@

Awesome thanks At I will give it a bash and see how I get on

I have enough pads I Just use my TD20 with the exact set up I would have live with my accoustic kit

Thanks for the info guys nice to know it can be added to :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1