Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments

Author
KCravens
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2007/12/10 11:37:02 (permalink)

Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments

Has anyone compared the sounds and ease of use of SD2 vs the Drum kit in SI? I am mostly interested in rhythm section sound quality i.e.bass guitars and drums for country and rock. I can't decide where to spend my money first..upgrade to Dimension Pro or get Studio Instruments. I can't afford EZ drummer.

4 Replies Related Threads

Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments 2007/12/10 11:52:30 (permalink)
    Session Drummer 2 is separate from Dimension Pro, unless I'm REALLY confused. SD2 is bundled with SONAR Producer Edition (and HS 6 XL) and comes with its own set of drum kits and MIDI drum patterns. Dim Pro is a totally separate synth with an 8GB library of much more than just drums.

So your choices are actually:

1) Buy/upgrade to SONAR 7 PE or Home Studio 6 XL - both of which include Session Drummer 2
    2) Buy Session Drummer 2 all by itself ($80 download)
    3) Buy Dimension Pro

I would browse the Cakewalk online store, as there are probably some special offers and/or bundles that I'm missing.

To answer your subject-line question: I don't own Studio Instruments, so I can't compare it to Session Drummer 2.

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    KCravens
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments 2007/12/10 13:22:45 (permalink)
    I apologize for my lack of clarity...Adult ADD. Either that or Alzheimer's. I have Sonar Home Studio with SD2 and DimLE. I need more and better drums, bass guitar and B3 and can't prioritize or decide what will give me the best bang for the bucks.

Thanks

Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments 2007/12/10 13:25:58 (permalink)
    I suspect that Dim Pro is your better option, for many reasons.

1) It has terrific samples
    2) It has a broader selection of samples, so you'll have more to work with in the long run
    3) It is a terrific and flexible sample playback engine that can be expanded with add-on packs

But I don't have SI, so I can't directly compare. Hopefully one of the other regulars can give you a definite answer for your specific subset of instruments (drums, bass gtr, & B3).

I CAN tell you that you will not regret having Dim Pro in your arsenal. It's a great tool.

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Session Drummer vs Studio Instruments 2007/12/11 00:07:31 (permalink)
    Yea, I would think that DimPro would be better. Isn't SI just the rhythm section? And it is pretty cheap so I don't think it would have more drums than SD2. Maybe. And although DimPro isn't a drum machine, you can use each element as a sound and stack a couple of instances to create a kit. Kinda the long way, or you could just load up a BD, Sn and whatever to add some depth to your drum kit and assign the midi notes to DimPro.

Session Drummer is pretty nice - I just used it to do a simple drum line to a song. That is the only kind I know, so I'm not expert programmer, but it sounded good.

hope this helps.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1