Set Master fader at 0dB

Author
boten
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
2009/09/18 03:29:57 (permalink)

Set Master fader at 0dB

I've just read a comment by some mixing engineers that it is advisable to leave  master fader at 0dB during mixing. Their comment was as follows:

On analog studios, you can use the master fader to make the entire mix quieter. But on digital
studios, putting the master fader below 0 DB will likely act like an extremely crappy limiter. Our
mastering guy pointed this out for us by showing us our recording on an oscilloscope. Most
recordings are supposed to look like a ball. Ours looked like a box. It was basically cutting off
frequencies past a certain point. Needless to say, this doesn't sound good.

I don't really understand how this limiting effect can happen in the master bus.  I do not typically mess with the master fader during mixing but sometimes I slightly adjust the bus input.  Does anybody has a better explanation about this issue?

9 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 06:08:29 (permalink)
    No, and I am actually a little surprised. Was this Sonar?

If it is protools though, I actually believe it based in my experiences with AVID workstations.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 07:16:39 (permalink)
    "It was basically cutting off frequencies past a certain point."

Is that what your mastering engineer said?

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 07:49:23 (permalink)
    Pretty sure, last time I looked, a fader on the master bus changed the gain, not the threshold on a multiband brickwall limiter...

There is that much headroom in a DAW that changing the gain on the masterbus will not make any difference to the sound coming out. Drop your masterbus down to -60dB, bounce, then boost it by 60dB and there won't be any difference (except for an increase in the noisefloor which may or may not be noticable due to the bitrate of the track).

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 08:22:46 (permalink)
    I tend to have the master fader below 0db. My mixes are not brickshaped as a result. If anything... I would think the opposite is true. Keeping levels lower assures that the signal will not clip, and the compressor will not kick in to limit the upper excursion of the signal....except fot the very top of the spike and peaks....and that should be a gentle treatment.... the end result is music that has dynamics. 

My goal is a little bit of compression to fatten & tweeze the mix and at the same time to keep the dynamics in the music. I want the music to sound good, and when I look at the wave, I want to be able to see where a verse goes to a chorus or a solo happens.  My wife was looking at one of my mixes (wave form) and pointed to the screen and asked what happens there..... because it did look different from the rest of the wave..... it was a very smooth place in the usually up & down wave....

I am able to make a "brick" out of the mix by using a compressor (mulitband included) and pushing the levels on it. Of course, that sounds like a mess and has no dynamic range....it's just loud.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/09/18 08:24:47

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 10:56:59 (permalink)
    I mix as I go; before all the tracks are laid down the output creeps up as I put down more tracks. So, I reduce the master as I go also until I actually do the final mix. When I get to that point, I reduce all the bus faders in 2db increments, and creep up the master until I'm at 0db and no red.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 11:12:00 (permalink)
    I guess I'm the odd man out.  I keep SONARs master at 0 dB and mix into that.  Of course, it is a pain w/ the amp/speaker volume, tho my old firepod at home was w/in easy reach.  I think of it akin to the master on a desk, w/ a separate monitor output.  Of course, driving digital doesn't act like an analog out, but I don't have to readjust the volume of all the channels/buses either.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/18 12:49:40 (permalink)
    boten

I've just read a comment by some mixing engineers that it is advisable to leave  master fader at 0dB during mixing. Their comment was as follows:

On analog studios, you can use the master fader to make the entire mix quieter. But on digital
    studios, putting the master fader below 0 DB will likely act like an extremely crappy limiter. Our mastering guy pointed this out for us by showing us our recording on an oscilloscope. Most
    recordings are supposed to look like a ball. Ours looked like a box. It was basically cutting off frequencies past a certain point. Needless to say, this doesn't sound good.

I don't really understand how this limiting effect can happen in the master bus.  I do not typically mess with the master fader during mixing but sometimes I slightly adjust the bus input.  Does anybody has a better explanation about this issue?

I can think of no mathmatical reason why this would be. The master fader simply scales down a number; it's a very simple digital process, and can't introduce too much distortion, and that only at the least significant (quietest) bits.

Of course, if you reduce the level to an extremely low level, so that your entire signal is only represented by, say, 8-10 bits, and then boost the level way up in the analog domain to compensate, you will get tons of low level square wave distortion. Maybe this is what they are talking about? But that's due to having the overall output level way too lowand not using enough bits to represent your signal; it doesn't matter if it's from the master fader or track/bus faders being too low. If you're peaking at -70db, and turn up on the analog side +60db to compensate, you're going to get some distortion. 

drewfx
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/19 02:41:40 (permalink)
    Thank guys, I wasn't able to explain that statement either. Gain in my mind is just a multiplying operation on the incoming signal gain, not a frequency filter. This came out of a mixing section of the Indie Musician Survival Guide I happened to read. Go figure...
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Set Master fader at 0dB 2009/09/19 07:02:08 (permalink)
    this is **** on any halfway decent DAW

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1