Setting up Antares

Author
MikeTSH
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 491
2008/08/27 17:57:33 (permalink)

Setting up Antares

So I've been told by a few signed artists and producers (I have quite a few connections actually, Google Go:Audio and Elliot Minor to name a few), anyway, they have pretty much unanamously told me that Antares Auto Tune is the best thing for correcting the few bum notes the singer may have. So I payed my money and got the vst plugin. One problem - no clue how to use it. I realise that you have to set it up with the key its in by using the keyboard below, but I have no clue how to do this (for reference the song I'm mixing is in the Key of D)

Thanks for any responses!
Mike.

6 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/27 18:12:16 (permalink)
    Mike, they told you wrong. Melodyne is at the top of the chain right now. Auto tune is at the bottom. Dont you have V-vocal?? Thats better than autotune. I cant help you with how to use it, but you may try the forum that makes autotune. youll prob get a faster responce
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    MikeTSH
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/27 18:23:06 (permalink)
    That's odd to be honest CJ, because it was producer Jim Wirt who's produced Hoobastank, Elliot Minor and many others who told me over the phone that was what he uses. Melodyne I've been told was number 2. I have v-vocal but when you edit with v vocal it always sounds so damn metallicy, because obviously breathing isnt tuned, so it sounds odd and wrong. So far messing around with Antares it's been smart and heard the differnece, and seems to be playing with harmonics in a far greater way than V Vocal ever could
    Klos Studios
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/28 02:57:43 (permalink)
    Many people use auto-tune because they're comfortable with how to use it.
    It's been around for years and can work quite slick.
    You don't need to set the key from the keyboard, there's a key select window in the top left corner.
    The default is 'chromatic' but you can set it to any key.... major or minor.
    For vocals I like to set everything 'loose', the timing and sensitivity.... it feels more natural.
    You can also turn 'off' certain notes in the scale.
    In key of D you might want F# but have no G. You can eliminate the G note in case your vocalist
    sings a bit too sharp.
    I also use it as a clip effect if there are troublesome spots. The graphic mode works well for me in small doses.
    It's still a powerful tool widely used in the industry.....

Hope this helps, it's a very useful bit of software that helps clients go home happier with how they sound.

George Klos
    MikeTSH
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/28 05:14:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Geroge, I found that key thing just before you posted, thanks so much for the reply either way! I know that this is a very popular plugin merely because it was the first that did it's job well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it; just like many of the replies to Sonar VS Pro Tools scenarios have proven
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/28 09:08:13 (permalink)
    Auto-Tune comes with a fairly well-written PDF manual as well as a number of tutorials. Why not just take a couple of hours and read the manual and experiment with the tutorials? It's really not that complicated.

I don't know how AT compares in the industry but it was pretty much the de facto standard (maybe still is) for vocal tuning chores. Melodyne might be a better program but I'm still not sure if it has surpassed AT in the marketplace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As far as AT vs VV, I'd give AT the nod without hesitation. It sounds better and tracks better than VV. By a long shot. I suspect that's true with Melodyne also (I've never used Melodyne, just echoing what many others around here have stated).

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Setting up Antares 2008/08/30 20:59:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Klos Studios

Many people use auto-tune because they're comfortable with how to use it.
    It's been around for years and can work quite slick.
    You don't need to set the key from the keyboard, there's a key select window in the top left corner.
    The default is 'chromatic' but you can set it to any key.... major or minor.
    For vocals I like to set everything 'loose', the timing and sensitivity.... it feels more natural.
    You can also turn 'off' certain notes in the scale.
    In key of D you might want F# but have no G. You can eliminate the G note in case your vocalist
    sings a bit too sharp.
    I also use it as a clip effect if there are troublesome spots. The graphic mode works well for me in small doses.
    It's still a powerful tool widely used in the industry.....

Hope this helps, it's a very useful bit of software that helps clients go home happier with how they sound.

George Klos

I too think it's excellent. I have it and use both Auto Tune and V-Vocal back and forth. I don't use Auto-Tune/V-Vocal very often myself because I prefer to just get takes nailed, but it works well for my singer that's out of state if I need to fix something (she sends me her tracks). However, I don't think it's any better really than V-Vocal. Both seem to produce similar results. I haven't used Melodyne.

I do like Antares' Harmony VST though. It does a really nice job and I've done some cool things with vocals, however, it's always best to start with a great vocal take (or fixed one) before you use it.

For myself, I think it's easier to comp takes on vocals than to edit it with those things.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1