Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface?

Author
Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
2011/05/14 13:46:42 (permalink)

Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface?

This could've been posted in two possible places, but since it involves SONAR directly, I posted it here.

I have SONAR X1 Producer and an M-AUDIO.

Separately, they work great, but I'm having issues when trying to consume the device from SONAR. The points in particular are:

1) Inputs routed to audio tracks are stuttery and clicky. From what I HAVE read, this seems a common issue resolved via SONAR ASIO settings. I just don't know how to properly adjust them, so this is the focus of this issue.

2) How do I set things up so that an audio track that has an effect applied (such as guitar rig) will send the processed signal back to the audio interface so that I can hear it all, and not just the dry signal?

Thanks for any assistance with these. If you need more info, tell me what you need, and I'll provide it.

5 Replies Related Threads

garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface? 2011/05/14 13:59:55 (permalink)
    1. Have you tried a different driver mode such as WDM?

2. Activate Input Monitoring on the track.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://www.garrigus.com/
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://www.proaudiotutor.com/
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Metaphasic
    Re:Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface? 2011/05/14 15:25:28 (permalink)
    Ok. I have things right now, with no clicks or pops. I can also hear the intended output now. The only thing left now (which I wouldn't have known until now) is that input is VERY low in volume. I've adjusted the gains both on the audio box (physical and software) and in SONAR. Now, I'm using a ... ehem ... radio shack ... mic for this, so I'm using the rear inputs. I practically have to scream to get the levels to peak. Am I missing something?

P.S. I need to record talking for vocoding purposes via Pent1, which I know how to do, but the vocal levels are so low, it doesn't work well.
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface? 2011/05/14 16:04:39 (permalink)
    I'm using a ... ehem ... radio shack ... mic for this, so I'm using the rear inputs. I practically have to scream to get the levels to peak. Am I missing something?

Yes. A good microphone and good microphones need a preamp to raise the signal level. 

Do you have it plugged into the Mic In or the Line In? Should be in the Line In. Bottom line: get a better mic and stay away from the Shack. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Metaphasic
    Re:Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface? 2011/05/14 16:36:44 (permalink)
    Thanks. The mic is ok for my budget and the fact I'm just using it to vocode stuff (robotic). So all I need is a pre-amp eh? I can handle that. But since you asked, it's the old 1/4 inch jack kind, and it's going into the rear input labelled 1.
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Setting up SONAR with Audio Interface? 2011/05/14 23:09:00 (permalink)
    I can handle that. But since you asked, it's the old 1/4 inch jack kind, and it's going into the rear input labelled 1.

I doubt its a 1/4" plug you mean a 1/8" mini-phone plug.

Is input 1 a mic in or a line in? Check the manual. A mic in may have a bit of preamp on it. A line in will not have any preamp on it.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1