Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
2007/07/25 15:22:16 (permalink)

'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix

Hi all,

Here's the third of the trio of songs Tim & I worked on recently, as usual I've come to that 'ear-fatigue' part, and need some feedback from you guys to guide me along

She Ain't Fooling Me

All comments and suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks,

James

Edit : some adjustments to the mix done as per suggestions...
post edited by jamesg1213 - 2007/07/26 14:37:46

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer

34 Replies Related Threads

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/25 15:40:33 (permalink)
    A languid lovelorn litagy indeed. Nicely performed. I want to listen to this with my headphones later, before I make any mix comments but it sounds lovely so far. This reminds of somedbody, but I cant quite place it. Good work.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/25 16:33:17 (permalink)
    James, I quite like the song structure, the lyrics, the instrumentation, and, of course, Tim's vocals. However, the vocals come across as slightly muffled, like you had a shawl wrapped over the mic. The high end conspicuously absent. Or perhaps I just have some water in my ears. Good guitar work, too, by the way. As usual.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/25 16:46:27 (permalink)
    Beautiful song James! Sounds like something that has a "James Taylor" sound. Especially the beginning part. Great song structure and lyrics. My only pic is, I think the guitar tone needs to "warmed up" a hair. Those high notes really cut thru on my monitors. Great lead 'tho. You and Tim always put out some excellent material. Good job guys!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/25 17:22:54 (permalink)
    Gorgeous song. The mix sounds really good, full, lots of clarity. Every time I hear Tim singing I'm just struck by the richness and character to his voice, it really sounds great.

Love that mood you get at 2:50 when the arrangement gets more sparce. Nice outro.

No suggestions, ... sounds real good.
    post edited by fep - 2007/07/25 17:29:06
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/25 18:24:29 (permalink)
    James & Tim........what can I say! Everything is great, and soooo smoooth. Excellent piece of writing and the melody, vocals, instrumentals and mix are A+. Nothing to nit pick for sure. I'm jealous !!

DuRod
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/26 08:57:46 (permalink)
    Another excellent track, wonderful vocal and a terrific solo.
    I think the organ needs to come up and could do with a bit of valving up/saturation, it's sounding a tad limp and lifeless and it's a really important ingredient in this.
    I think the bassline is really letting this track down and preventing it from reaching it's full potential, it moves awkwardly in parts and the choice of notes don't seem right in others.
    I really do think you should look at that again, maybe after working on the next song or two so that you approach it with new ears. It's a really good song and deserves to work as well as the others that it's going to sit next to.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/26 09:27:45 (permalink)
    James, great work on this, nice production and gloss on the mix. Vocal delivery and treatment is very nice. Good complement of instruments. The drums and lead guitar seem a little too bright to me and the vocals seem a little muffled, otherwise a fine mix. Intersesting lyric .. photo on soundclick seems perfect for the piece. Good stuff James, you and Tim are quite the creative team.
    guitmotar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/26 10:42:37 (permalink)
    Well-performed song. I would think about going with a clean vocal sound rather than the chorused one. Or if you decide you like the chorused lead vocal, I would use a cleaner, brighter guitar sound when the vocal and guitar are isolated.
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/26 12:25:48 (permalink)
    Hi,

Odd tune – in a good way. In general it sounds ‘different” from most of the things that I’ve heard in recent years. Vocal has a wacky haunting quality to it – very nice and I feel (I’m not sure how to put it) – it could use a bit more “presence“ maybe? I like the lyric as well. Again, a strange song that stands on its’ own. Good going!
    jamesg1213
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/26 14:46:14 (permalink)
    Hey Randy, nice to see you - thanks a lot. Let me know when you remember who it sounds like!

Hiya Mark, thanks for the comments on the vocal, I've backed off the double tracking quite a bit in the new mix. Appreciate the kind words on the gtr!

Larry, many thanks pal, very nice comments. I've rolled off some off the highs on the lead break and added a smidge more 'verb. Hope that saves your ears!

Hello Frank, many thanks for being so positive about this. Glad you liked the outro, I was struggling to find a direction for this song till I got that part done, then it all started to make sense.

Hey Duane! Thank you so much! And no need to be jealous, you have your own good stuff happening.

Ah, Nick! I should really know better than to try and get an Edirol bassline past you...you're absolutely right of course, and I've binned that. I went into town and borrowed my nephews Aria bass and tracked a new bassline, hope you have a chance to hear it, and let me know what you think. Oh, and I added a little tape sim to the organ too.

Hello Bill, good to hear from you. Thanks a lot for the kind words, and I've taken your comments on baord too - I've backed off the double tracking on the vocal, rolled off some highs on the lead gtr and added a touch more reverb to the drums. btw..got my new BR-8 at last...

Hi Matt, thanks very much for stopping by to comment, and again I've taken your advice about that double tracking on the vocal. Tim's voice really doesn't need that.

Manny! Very nice to see you, always a pleasure. I know what you mean about the tune being slightly unusual - it took a good while to get a solid direction for it, but I think this is working now.

Re-mixed version now up;

She Ain't Fooling Me - re-mixed

Jyemz

opaque slogan
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 15:50:12 (permalink)
    Yep.

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 16:06:46 (permalink)
    James,

You nailed it man! The gittarrrr sounds really nice. The whole mix sounds really good. New and improved! Well done.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 17:22:35 (permalink)
    James and Tim,

This is a nice song. Good mellow structure. I'm listening on PC speakers. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Rythme guitar: I think this could come up in the mix a little, or perhaps a low-end boost.

Vocals: They sound really nice. I think they could come down in a mix a little, to allow more room for the rest of the instruments. I don't think it would take away from the vocals. I've been listening to this aspect of songs very closely lately. It seems that most of the radio music vocals sit back in the mix more than a lot of songs posted to this forum. I don't know if that's due to recording techniques or individual's mixing... Just a thought.

I think the vocals remind me (a great deal) of Sting. That's just cool. I wish my voice sounded like that!

My 2 cents, :-) Matt
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 18:30:40 (permalink)
    Nice work james, but in the beginning there seems to be a vocal mishap, but you pulled the rest through very nicely. Now, I no vocal expert and the worst singer of all time, so please don't take me wrong, I just want your song to be perfect. Wonderful mix and a really nice piece.

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 20:42:24 (permalink)
    This is nice! It reminds me a little of Peter Gabriel. It definately has a distinct sound and quality to it. Different and refreshing. Really liked it. Nice work.

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/26 21:36:02 (permalink)
    Really good mix James. The vocals sounds really good. I thought the guitar was a little thin sounding at first, but when it got to the end of the solo, that thin sound worked for those closing notes in a haunting way so I'm not sure I'd change it. Well done mate.
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/27 00:15:09 (permalink)
    Thumbs up on the remix. Well done.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/27 00:28:56 (permalink)
    James, Tim - sorry for the delay of my response ... I've been busy lately.
    Well, I think I must have heard the remix of this beautiful, very interesting song of yours. This song has got everything: Meaning, great lyrics, wonderful performances and ... yeah, there's Tim's vocals. Good job you two!
    Heinz.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' - re-mix 2007/07/27 03:12:14 (permalink)
    Hi James ,
    good tune
    the new mix with bass and the few sublte changes sound much better...
    you and Tim have come up with some real tasty music...
    you guys make a good team ,
    it is easy to hear something that was done from any of the other songs and recignise its Acrobats Supper
    you are on a roll

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

opaque slogan
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 08:03:53 (permalink)
    By the way, i thought you had a BR-8, can you link them or something?

jamesg1213
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 08:22:15 (permalink)
    Hi Nick, ta for the thumbs up on the new mix. My BR-8 'died' on me about a month ago, which was baaaad...all my guitar sounds from the last 8 years were stored on it. 'Won' a replacement on Ebay and it came last week, so I'm busy trying to restore those sounds.

Hey Kenny, thanks a lot! Glad this mix is working for you. (I nearly gave you shout for some bass, but I frigged around with the arrangement so much you'd have come over here and shot me...)

Heinz! Appreciate the positive words pal, I know you're busy 'Sailing the Seven Seas' at the moment, me hearty

Thanks Bill (JB), that's nice of you. I do actually think that lead could use a little more roundness & body.

Hi Clark, thank you very much, PG is a comparison we'll take any day!

Hello Matthew, some good constructive points there, that's great! I'll have a look at that guitar. I always think vocals stick out when they're just 'mixed' as opposed to 'mastered' (this un-mastered apart a little 'normalising') but I could well be wrong.

John, thanks for the listen and the nice comments, much appreciated. Which bit of the vocal did you mean?

Larry, Bill (TC) - good of you to take the time to listen to the re-mix, thanks muchly!
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2007/07/27 08:23:28

Jyemz

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 08:23:10 (permalink)
    After listening to the new mix, It really hit me who this reminds me of. Steely Dan. Especially the chorus in the last part of the song. Those rich harmonies are very much like their sound in the 80's. Great sounding production and mix. I love this stuff. Good work gents.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 08:29:13 (permalink)
    Only listened to the remix, but sounds very pleasing - good voice BTW. Guitar solo could be a bit 'thicker' maybe, only minor nitpick, but I just now read that you're working on getting your sounds back.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    jamesg1213
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 18:17:00 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks Randy, no finer compliment than a comparison to 'The Dan '

Hi Rob, thanks to you too, I'm working on fattening up that geetar...

Jyemz

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/27 18:35:24 (permalink)
    Right around 34 -38, seems to be just a bit off, then maybe it's just me????????

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    jamesg1213
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/07/28 17:32:48 (permalink)
    Hmm, that bit sounds OK to me, but there is a drop in volume on 'so profound', so thanks for making me listen closer!

Jyemz

the reverent one
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/08/02 22:49:01 (permalink)
    I truly enjoyed this song. A sad beauty to it. A work to be very proud of!

Great oaks from little acorns grow.

opensky
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/08/05 14:41:24 (permalink)
    Really good tasty work here. I love the nice, clean and simple production. I agree with the other listener about the Steely Dan comparison. The only thing is I thought the lead guitar tone could be a little more "smoother" sounding because of the nature of the song as well as coming down a tad bit in the mix. Really good stuff James!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/opensky
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: 'She Ain't Fooling Me' 2007/08/05 15:54:56 (permalink)
    Very nicely done, guys! Excellent work. You've got some contrasting notes in the arrangement which gives it a punch that is unusual, but in a really good way! I like a little contention to stir up the song! Didn't hear it before the last changes you made, but this version's really good!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1