Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples?

Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
2008/09/04 12:13:48 (permalink)

Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples?

Hey computer gurus,

I currently have all of my samples (drum hits/loops, rompler samples, etc.) on a dedicated partition that is on its own drive (i.e., not the system drive). The drive is a 7200 RPM drive and the sample partition is just over 100 GB. However, I recently exceeded that size, so I need to either: (1) repartition the drive to allocate some space from the other two partitions to the sample partition or (2) move my samples to a new drive. Also, I'll be buying Omnisphere in a few weeks, which comes with a 50GB library, so I want to be prepared for that as well. So, I'm leaning toward just buying a 250 or 320 GB drive, but I wanted to know if you think I should spend the extra cash and go for a 10K RPM hard drive. So, here are my questions (finally!):

Will there be a noticeable improvement in loading time and performance?

Do you think there will be a noticeable improvement in loading and/or performance from having my samples on their own drive, as opposed to having their own partition on a 500GB 7200RPM drive that is divided into three partitions for storing my media (i.e,. Samples, Photos, and Videos partitions)?

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

4 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples? 2008/09/04 12:20:18 (permalink)
    Are you streaming the samples directly from the HD?
    If not, then going with a 10k-RPM HD won't bring much to the table.

If you're streaming the samples directly from HD:
    How much simultaneous disk-streaming polyphony are you trying to achieve?
    Unless it's significantly higher than 256 simultaneous notes, I wouldn't bother with a 10k-RPM HD.
    The newest Seagate perpendicular-II HDs sustain over 100MB/Sec... and will yield 128 notes of disk-streaming polyphony without breaking a sweat.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples? 2008/09/04 12:28:31 (permalink)
    I will say that having a partition is not the same as having a separate drive. If you are using the other partition at the same time (such as the video drive), it really defeats the performance purpose of separating them. In most cases, a 7200 RPM drive (or multiple drives) will be fine if used for one purpose.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples? 2008/09/04 13:02:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys!

Jim - most of the samples are not streamed directly from disc, and the few romplers that do stream directly from disc never approach the polyphony you're talking about, so it looks like I'll stick with a 7200 RPM HD. However, I'm having trouble finding anything in Seagate's lineup that refers to "Perpendicular II" - the best I can surmise is that it is the Barracuda 7200.11 (?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

If so, that's the same drive I'm currently using! So, I think I'll just add another one as a dedicated drive for my samples.

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

I will say that having a partition is not the same as having a separate drive. If you are using the other partition at the same time (such as the video drive), it really defeats the performance purpose of separating them. In most cases, a 7200 RPM drive (or multiple drives) will be fine if used for one purpose.

Thanks Daniel - that's pretty much what I was thinking. The other partitions are there primarily as storage space for our photos and videos. My wife and I are pretty serious amateur photographers, so we store a lot of photos and videos, but we're never simultaneously editing photos, videos, and/or music.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

tomek
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Should I get a 10K RPM drive for storing samples? 2008/09/05 05:48:13 (permalink)
    like the others have mentioned already,
    I would not bother w/ the 1000RPM drives (even though I have three).

Not only are they very expensive $/GB, but they run very hot and loud.
    You will notice very little difference in performance over the new seagate and samsung drives.

All of the 11th gen. seagate drives are perpendicular bit. xxxx.11 or 7200.11.
    The new Samsung spinpoint drives are great too. Some of the F1 series are faster, cheaper and quieter then the seagates.
    You can't really go wrong w/ either a Seagate xxxx.11 drive or a Samsung Spinpoint F1.

As far as partitions go, if you're going to partition,
    the first partition is the fastest as it's on the outer edge of the platter, so put your samples on that.

Tomek.

Edit
    PS - you want a 500GB or larger drive, not only because the cost point of the 500GB is great,
    but also because those have higher data density per platter and are therefore faster!
    (the fewer the platters per xGB the faster the drive)

click "view all products" at the bottom of the list.

post edited by tomek - 2008/09/05 06:06:56

RME fireFace 400, Q6600 w/ all the bells and whistles, Acess Virus KB, Mics, soundcraft compact4,
    Orange AD30HTC into Orange 1x12, DIY FX Pedals, '73 Guild S-100, '97 Guild Starfire II
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1