Shut up 'a' your case

Author
twaddle
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1967
2010/09/03 08:13:50 (permalink)

Shut up 'a' your case

Sorry about the mrssage headline.Those old enough and fool enough to remember
Joe Dolce's dreafull single, "shut up 'a' your face" might acknowlege the poor attemt at humour.

Anyway, I'm just wondering about cases and which would be considered the quietest.
I just bought a computer here in the UK from scanuk who build computers for musicians.
I made a big mistake in not checking the dimensions of the case I asked for
(coolermaster RC100 Cosmos) a very nice case but way too big to fit in to it's designated slot. So I called them and they have agreed to have it returned and they'll put it in a smaller case for me.

Now coolermaster claim that the size of this case helps increase airflow thus making cooling more efficient and therfore giving the fans less work to do and so making it quieter. Seems logical enough I thought.
But, compared to my smaller case (not sure what make) it's hard to tell whether it's quieter or just that the fans sound lower pitched which I guess they would if they are not spinning so fast. But the difference is really too small and I was not happy as I was told that it was virtually silent.

So I started wondering if perhaps the larger cases don't actually act as a sound box and therefore amplify the fan noise? So it maybe true that the fans are not spinning as fast and therefore less noisey but this is countered by the fact that the larger box is amplifying them.
I put this to their engineer and he seemed both dismisive and confused at the same time.
What do you reckon? Do I need to get out more? :)

Steve
post edited by twaddle - 2010/09/03 08:18:31

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
12GB Corsair DDR3 
1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
Emu- 0404 PCIe 
Sonar X1d Expanded
BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit

1 Reply Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Shut up 'a' your case 2010/09/03 08:32:43 (permalink)
    The logic that "bigger is better" sounds good.  Whether in practice it's really the case depends on the case design and the internal PC components and how much heat is generated from those components.

I have a home built PC and was having some heating problems (not major but the motherboard components, memory and hard drives were running warmer than I thought they should).  I decided to replace the case and looked at a lot of different cases and settled for an Antec "ninehundred" case.  It is a little taller than my old case and really sold as a "gamer's case".  However, with all the fans it has built in it's still very quiet and I can have an SM58 within 3 ft of the case and there is no "PC" noise.

I also changed to a "modular" power supply, which eliminated the extra (unused) power cable clutter and that also helped air flow.  All PC's, with a standard ATX power supply should use the modular power supplies ("name" PC's such as Dell use a custom ATX power supply with only the needed power leads). 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1