Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2

Author
rg7621
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2005/05/18 15:35:21 (permalink)

Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2

I got the M-audio Audiophile 192 not too long ago and did a side by side test with my older Soundblaster Audigy2 card. Guitar>PODxt>Sound Card. Is there a big difference between the two in sound quality? Absolutely not. In fact, I don’t hear practically any difference at all.

Here are the short comparison CLIPS (All using wdm drivers).

When using wdm drivers the 192 is about 5msec faster, but when using the Audigy2's asio drivers, you can go lower then the 192. Also I’m having little problems with the 192 (audio gets choppy after 10 seconds when I listen to a wav file in winamp). Also I can’t get the metronome to play in Sonar with the 192, I’m guessing because it is only a midi interface, where the Audigy2 has those basic midi sounds. It seems like the Audigy is just much more convenient for me.

Anyway, I’m posting this to see if I’m missing something, because if this is all there is, there’s no reason for the upgrade. I’d rather sell this and get a good pair of monitor headphones and save the rest of the money for something else in the near future.

Thanks for your time,
post edited by rg7621 - 2005/05/18 15:37:04

16 Replies Related Threads

HammerHead
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/18 15:52:52 (permalink)
    if it works and you're happy who can argue with that.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/18 20:46:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rg7621

I got the M-audio Audiophile 192 not too long ago and did a side by side test with my older Soundblaster Audigy2 card. Guitar>PODxt>Sound Card. Is there a big difference between the two in sound quality? Absolutely not. In fact, I don’t hear practically any difference at all.

Here are the short comparison CLIPS (All using wdm drivers).

When using wdm drivers the 192 is about 5msec faster, but when using the Audigy2's asio drivers, you can go lower then the 192. Also I’m having little problems with the 192 (audio gets choppy after 10 seconds when I listen to a wav file in winamp). Also I can’t get the metronome to play in Sonar with the 192, I’m guessing because it is only a midi interface, where the Audigy2 has those basic midi sounds. It seems like the Audigy is just much more convenient for me.

Anyway, I’m posting this to see if I’m missing something, because if this is all there is, there’s no reason for the upgrade. I’d rather sell this and get a good pair of monitor headphones and save the rest of the money for something else in the near future.

Thanks for your time,

Recording an electric guitar is not a good test of sound quality. Many of the things bad things that happen to an analog signal that would be noticed have already happened to the guitar sound before it gets to the sound card and on purpose ! So if that is all you are recording maybe quality is not a issue for you. The folks who record acoustic stuff with a microphone are the ones who might notice what good converters and input stage can do. But again this is only if the quality gets to the sound card. If you have a microphone and preamp that are not up to the task all you will do is get a better copy of a bad sounding signal.
    sf31454
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/19 03:46:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rg7621
    Thanks for your time,

Yeah, if this is your experience I think your conclusion is correct and is pretty much what most of us would do. The caveats you generally find in these forums regarding Audigy cards reflect the experience that other folks have had and is really more applicable for someone who is looking for purchasing advice. But if it's working for you what anyone else thinks should not matter.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Richard
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/19 10:15:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    If you have a microphone and preamp that are not up to the task all you will do is get a better copy of a bad sounding signal.

Well stated. The true test will be with clean signal, but both your clean samples play the same mp3 so it's hard to hear any difference.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    rg7621
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/19 21:35:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses. All I'll be doing the next few years will be recording with the podxt and using dfh, so I guess I know what I should do.

Thanks again.
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/28 20:03:42 (permalink)
    Are you recording in 24-bit or 16-bit?
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/05/29 10:57:49 (permalink)
    No Audigy2. Anything Creative is garbage. It is small time junk aimed at 12 year old gamers. The Audiophile is a far better choice for EVERY reason........................JDW
    Joe Bravo
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/01 20:22:11 (permalink)
    I've been over this a hundred times but....

I did some tests for two different forums a couple of years back comparing an SBLive and an Echo MIA MIDI. Not one person could tell which was which. I tried everything too, including some well miked acoustic guitar stuff.

Simply stated, Creative did something stupid with the Live series of cards that caught them a lot of flack. When the SBLive came out they saddled it with a default bitrate/resolution of 16/48. They did this because they knew a lot of gamers and people watching DVD's on computer were using their cards. A lot of games, and all DVD's use 16/48 for playback purposes, so this made sense to the people at Creative. Unfortunately, they never told this to anybody, so people who were getting their feet wet with computer music recording were trying to record at 16/44.1 not knowing that the card defaulted to 16/48. So what was happening was, that the card was recording their tracks at 16/48 and then trying to convert to 16/44.1 on the fly while you were recording, and the card just couldn't keep up. So when people played their tracks back they would find that they would generally start to go out of sync around 2-minutes into the recording. Also, the tracks were just a tad distorted when recording like this—not so much that it was really noticeable as distortion—but just enough to let you know that "something" didn't sound quite right.

It took me a long time to figure out what was going on and I had to dig through Creative's website forever before I could find any info about the default recording rate but once I found it...it was pretty easy to see what was happening. I was on CakeWalk's email list for GT at the time and I sent a message to some users telling them to try recording at 16/48 and then dithering the final master later. No more problems. It was all just a misunderstanding really but Creative's reputation has suffered for it ever since.

They also screwed themselves when they came out with the first Audigy card by plastering "24/96" all over the box it came in, making people think that it would finally record at 24 bit. What it actually meant was that the card would "play back" at 24/96. It still recorded at 16/48 with no way to change it. It wasn't until Audigy2 that they finally had a card that would record at 24-bit.

So there you have it. Well actually there's a bit more to it I guess. Because people's recordings were a little "off" sounding when trying to record at 16/44.1, a rumor started that Creative cards had lousy converters. Not true. There was also a rumor that the little mini jacks were a cause of bad sound. Also not true. In fact, there was some electronics guy somewhere that ran some tests on various sound card in/out jacks that showed the little mini jacks often were better made than some of the 1/4" jacks on a lot of other cards and were actually passing a cleaner signal. There was also a rumor that Creative cards were noisy. Again, not true at all. Even the original SBLive had a s/n ratio of over 90db, which is so close to dead silence that anything greater would be pointless.

I've got a wma file I keep on my server just for demonstration purposes of what the SBLive could do when recording at its default of 16/48 like its supposed to. I believe there's around 28-tracks here, all played by myself except for the drums which may have been Bret Schlosser, but possibly someone else. (My singing is fairly awful which is why I canned the track.) I defy anybody to find any noise or distortion anywhere on here. The SBLive cards were a tremendous bang for the buck, especially when you figure in their synth. And my much lauded MIA card sounds no better whatsoever even at 24-bit with the best preamps money can buy.

Me And My Arrow
    johndale
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/02 00:32:18 (permalink)
    In other words, Creative is not a very truthfull company. And they own EMU, what a shame............................JDW
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/02 00:42:17 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know that they were trying to be deceptive. Its hard to say really. But they certainly were their own worst enemy at times.
    johndale
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/02 00:55:45 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know that they were trying to be deceptive. Its hard to say really. But they certainly were their own worst enemy at times.

Does lightning strike twice, three, four, five times. Maybe I've been wrong about Creative. Maybe they are not a scam company. They just really are that stupid.......................JDW
    Rasmuth
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/03 15:09:48 (permalink)
    Hey Joe Bravo, or whoever can answer...

Does the Audigy 2 still default at 16/48? I record using 16/44.1 and haven't experienced any real big issues...but if 48 will improve performance...what the heck...

Thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=250426

Everyone has a song inside, some of us choose to let it out.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/04 12:56:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, the Audigy2 can do up to 24/96 and all stops inbetween. When I say that before Audigy2 that the old cards "default" to 16/48, what I'm saying is that this was the only bitrate and resolution they would record at, so even if you set your project to record at something other than 16/48 it would still record at 16/48 and then convert to whatever resolution you opted for in you project on the fly. But you wouldn't have known it.

But yeah, the newer Audigy2 should be able to do 16/44.1 or just about anything else.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2005/06/04 14:17:07
    Greystorm
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/06 07:43:41 (permalink)
    I must agree JB, I had a Audigy 2 ZS in my PC when I decided to go out and get Sonar. When I started looking into equipment everyone said this soundcard was useless. I have not invested the money or expertise into this feild yet, but may as I just love this technology.
    Through trail and error I have got my DAW working just fine for me. The only thing I didnt like about the audigy was the inputs, although they work fine they are not friendly to most sound equipment, so I went and got a M-audio Firewire solo and this gave me all the options I need for now anyway(I know I need alot more gear yet). On Sonar the in/out options are plenty with the 2 sound cards.And I have had no conflicts with them both being active on Sonar.

Although I am currently looking for a good set of Near-fields to plug in to the Firewire which will put all my out puts through it, I have no beefs with the audigy sound card at all.

Greystorm

My Gear
    Pentium 4 CPU 2,4 Ghz
    512 MB RAM

WIN XP SP1
    Maxtor 30 G HD
    WDC 120 G HD

Sonar 4 Producer edition
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    M-Audio Firewire Solo

Old Korg DW-6000
    Behringer- Vamp-2

South Paw
    Washburn Dreadnought Acoustic
    Ibanez – /Les Paul Sunburst Electric

Middle Age Crazy- Some guys buy fast cars and chase fast women. I dusted off my guitar, tweaked the PC (EDIT:spent thousands of dollars on all these toys) and kicked the kids out of the basement
    http://members.soundclick.com/Cole%27s+Garage

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/06 10:22:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Some vendors just have a talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.. Creative just seems to be in a constant state of "almost" there.
    Rasmuth
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Side By Side Comparison of the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Audigy2 2005/06/06 11:29:54 (permalink)
    thanks for the answer Joe B....I've been recording for awhile now and I feel somewhat knowledgable about the process....

when I first started I figured the SB would be temporary for me...being how its blasted by virtually everybody, but the more I use it...the more I don't see a need to change...

its easy to use, latency issues are minimal and MIDI is a snap. I think there is quite a bit of soundcard "snobbery" in regards to this, but to each his own...we have lots of choices and we are free to use what we want.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=250426

Everyone has a song inside, some of us choose to let it out.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1