Side Chaining in Softube Modular

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2018/07/08 13:31:23 (permalink)

Side Chaining in Softube Modular

Here's a tip that probably should be in Techniques but I think its more likely to reach the right audience here.

I have been using Softube's virtual Eurorack Modular as an effect more lately. I was initially disappointed with the input options being limited to one track in the DAW but its easy to get two independent signals in if you use a bus, here is a use case scenario.

• I have a rhythm playing on a snare drum (EZ Drummer) on one track and MTron Pro playing block chords on another.
  • Add a bus and send these two tracks, pan the drum hard left and the tron hard right.
  • Add modular as an effect on the bus.
  • Add an envelope follower module to Modular and patch the left input (the drum) to it.
  • Add the polarity mixer so the level and polarity of the envelope follower signal can be controlled.
  • Add a VCA or a VCF, patch the right input (the Tron) into it and control it with the envelope from the Pol Mixer.
The Tron sound will pulse with the snare drum, Adjust the attack and decay on the envelope follower and the VCA or VCF settings for the required result.

Bringing two inputs in in this way opens up a lot of other possibilities, particularly with the recently added ring modulator module.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1