Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing?

Author
adamlewis7609
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2010/07/14 12:00:29 (permalink)

Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing?

Hello all....

Quick question here.  I was wondering if I should set up my project or template for kick/bass sidechaining before recording, or is it something that should be done before the mix?   Does it even matter, is one better than the other?   Just wondering how you guys do it.

Thanks everyone!
Adam

11 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 13:24:00 (permalink)
    I never find it necessary to side-chain to make room for kick and bass.

But if you're going to, it really only makes sense to worry about it during the mix.

Worry more about performance and tone during the tracking stages.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    adamlewis7609
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 13:49:47 (permalink)
    Oh I heard it is necessary to do the kick/bass sidechaining so that the kick doesn't interfere with the bass frequencies?   Atleast for synth/electronic music.   Thanks!
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 14:09:55 (permalink)
    If you're going to do it, I agree during mixing makes the most sense. Getting the kick and bass to play well together is very important, but spending a little more time up front to find good complimentary tones will make your mixdown way easier and may avoid your need to do the side-chaining.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 15:11:40 (permalink)
    adamlewis7609

Hello all....

Quick question here.  I was wondering if I should set up my project or template for kick/bass sidechaining before recording, or is it something that should be done before the mix?   Does it even matter, is one better than the other?   Just wondering how you guys do it.

Thanks everyone!
    Adam

You really need to get the tracks right. sidechaining was a good idea back in the tape / mixer days and when you had a real drum set but you should be able to get the mix right in a DAW without having to do that.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 16:36:41 (permalink)
    adamlewis7609

Oh I heard it is necessary to do the kick/bass sidechaining so that the kick doesn't interfere with the bass frequencies?   Atleast for synth/electronic music.   Thanks!

Even in that genre, it seems you could notch out your heavy bass tracks so that your fundamental of the kick was still slammin'.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/14 17:32:52 (permalink)
    Complementary EQ?

Byron Dickens
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/17 18:47:34 (permalink)
    adamlewis7609

Hello all....

Thanks everyone!
    Adam

I lean more toward Skullsession's reply, ie., to go for it when mixing and focus on the creative stuff first.

However, some people like to mix as they go and mix into the bus, so to speak;  if your'e willing to put aside the creative flow a bit while doing that, fine; but I do think it can wait until the mixing stage.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/21 13:18:03 (permalink)
    There are actually still two great reasons to sidechain the kick/bass in some tracks.

1. Punch. The kick can get to sound much punchier if sidechaining is used, even if some freqs interfere (say 808 kick with 303 bass).

2. Pump as a creative effect. Some like it some don't. Sometimes it fits like a glove, sometimes it's OJ's glove. Still, sideching is the best thing for that breathing bassline pumping with the beat if that's what's wanted.

I'd say compress in mixing. There is no need to compress on the way going in with 24 bit as you don't need to record as hot and if you do compress going in you can not tweak it, automate it or do anyting about it if it turns out bad.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    adamlewis7609
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/21 13:43:01 (permalink)
    Sorry, I am really new to audio interfaces, but why do you not need to record as hot  using 24-bit?   Just curious.   What levels do you record at pre-mix and pre-master?

Thanks for all the help!!!
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/21 14:06:54 (permalink)
    I usually track with peaks somewhere between -18 and -9 dBfs and mix the track to peak around -6 dBfs before mastering. The reason you don't have to record hot with 24 bit is that you have a lot of headroom to work with. In 16 bit it was much tighter between peak and noise floor so recording hot was a must, not anymore. Leave some headroom tracking and your processing will have some space.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Sidechaining kick/bass while recording or mixing? 2010/07/21 14:39:58 (permalink)
    adamlewis7609

Sorry, I am really new to audio interfaces, but why do you not need to record as hot  using 24-bit?   Just curious.   What levels do you record at pre-mix and pre-master?

Thanks for all the help!!!

I would suggest you try to learn all you can about these kinds of things; they will make a huge difference in understanding gain staging, and other important techniques.

24bit yields are MUCH greater signal to noise ratio and headroom than 16 bit (as Legion points out).
    This means you can record a lower levels yet sitll yield solid signal without the noise floor.

And it also gives the engineer/producer/DAW user the flexibility to avoid clipping quickly.   In analogue days, it was important to get as hot a signal as one could without clipping -mostly to avoid the noise.  That was difficult always.  And in order to avoid compression at the beginning of the signal chain, it took great expertise to get hot signals that way.

In the digital domain you don't need such hot signals, especially if working in 24bit format.   So again - the result is a solid signal without the noise, giving much more headroom to work with.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1