Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems

Author
Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
2017/11/10 20:31:26 (permalink)

Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems

Simple Summary:
With 2 PRV open and filtered with saved filters and with locked content and inside of a locked screen set, 
After saving the project, and closing Sonar, upon reopening same project, 
Sonar will not retain the filtered selection of those 2 PRV windows.

I think it's time to ask for others to reproduce this. Don't you?
FYI I'm on Windows 7 64 bit with 16GB of RAM.

I think it would be nice to know if this is 'functionality as intended'
or a work in progress with eyes on making it better.

Everyone please express your opinion. Thank you!
post edited by Steve_Karl - 2017/11/11 11:32:06

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01

13 Replies Related Threads

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/11 20:51:46 (permalink)
    It can be saved by using the PRV View menu option: Filter To Selection On Open, but only in Professional & Platinum and only one (1) PRV window will be saved.

Changes I'd like to see in PRV:
    1. MSR buttons first so valuable real estate isn't lost showing them.
    2. Save current Track List settings (audio tracks, Auto Lock, filtered items) with project.
    3. Save multiple PRV windows as above in Multidock with project.

Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/11 21:55:15 (permalink)
    Thanks soens - - -

I agree with all three!

Let's keep these discussions active and maybe we'll get some action.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/13 16:44:14 (permalink)
    Wait--- you can have multiple PRVs open? How do I do that???

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/13 16:47:18 (permalink)
    jkoseattle

Open the First PRV then right click on the PRV tab in the Multi-dock and choose "Lock Contents"
    Then repeat as many times as you like.

I typically have 2 or so in each screen set for a typical total of 8 or more per project.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 16:02:55 (permalink)
    With regard to multiple PRVs:  yes, use "Lock Contents".    I usually have 10-12 active in one screenset, which means a line of minimized PRVs at the bottom of the screen.   These won't change their order during work on a project, but when you close it and then re-open it, and also when you change screenset and then return, they will be in a new order (seems to be based on track order, lowest first). 

TWO BIG IMPROVEMENTs:   1) some method of fixing the order of the minimized windows

and/or  2)  some way of telling what's inside the PRV (tool-tip would work) without having to open them all up one at a time to find the one you want.  

My work around for this problem is to try to open a series of PRVs 'top-down', with lower number groups of tracks first.  That way I can usually guess which window is wanted without the time-consuming trial and error.  (this is  Sonar 2016.05: the ongoing work on the PRV is praiseworthy, but ruined my workflow and reports seem to be that it still isn't quite right for substantial midi work). 
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 16:21:29 (permalink)
    Ideally those PRV tabs should be user nameable

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 16:23:12 (permalink)
    williamcopper
    With regard to multiple PRVs:  yes, use "Lock Contents".    I usually have 10-12 active in one screenset

And you have to reset the filters when you reopen the project?

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 17:16:23 (permalink)
    Yeah all those things would be super helpful. Also, I'd like there to be an option in PRV to say "Show every track with a clip in it at the Now position. In a thick arrangement I'll hear one instrument out of place and I waste a lot of time going track by track to find the offending instrument. Since the PRV track colors are almost useless, it can be tough to figure out who's playing right now.

2) Speaking of useless track colors in PRV, how about an options to automatically choose colors in a given PRV window so that they are distinct from one another. I don't care if the violas are blue in one window and orange in another, it's much more useful to be able to see the lines distinct from each other. 

Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 17:45:22 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    Yeah all those things would be super helpful. Also, I'd like there to be an option in PRV to say "Show every track with a clip in it at the Now position. In a thick arrangement I'll hear one instrument out of place and I waste a lot of time going track by track to find the offending instrument. Since the PRV track colors are almost useless, it can be tough to figure out who's playing right now.

2) Speaking of useless track colors in PRV, how about an options to automatically choose colors in a given PRV window so that they are distinct from one another. I don't care if the violas are blue in one window and orange in another, it's much more useful to be able to see the lines distinct from each other. 

Yes. The colors before the new PRV, were more defined.
    Even though the colors were even stronger in Sonar 4.
    I noticed the 'more pastel' look in X3 but it might have started earlier. I didn't update every version.
    I went Sonar 4 to X3 to 2016.08

So we've been loosing color definition for a while now.

I got used to the colors in X3 that were slightly less defined than Sonar 4.
    Those same X3 colors remained the same until 2017.02 with the introduction of the new PRV.

So the trend with PRV development is that it is getting harder and slower to use in most situations.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 22:36:55 (permalink)
    When they introduced the ability to have Themes in Platinum, none of the themes takes this simple user need into account: "I Don't Care What Color Anything Is, I Just Want To Be Able To Tell My Tracks Apart"

Check out my work here
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/14 23:45:51 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    When they introduced the ability to have Themes in Platinum, none of the themes takes this simple user need into account: "I Don't Care What Color Anything Is, I Just Want To Be Able To Tell My Tracks Apart"

Make sure "Autolock" is not selected. It makes all the other tracks grey.
    Autolock is on by default and needs to be turned off.

That would require stronger colors in PRV and also the option to toggle
    "Show All tracks / Show only selected track" instead of having to wipe down the whole list of tracks selecting them all.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/21 04:54:44 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    jkoseattle

Open the First PRV then right click on the PRV tab in the Multi-dock and choose "Lock Contents"
    Then repeat as many times as you like.

I typically have 2 or so in each screen set for a typical total of 8 or more per project.

I decided pretty quickly that I don't need multiple PRV's after all. But now... every time I open this project, Sonar thinks I want the two PRV's and opens two of them up tiled vertically. I always close one of them and maximize the multi-dock, as I prefer to work with a maximized PRV. Even though I do this every time, and close the project out and exit Sonar properly, now it always opens with two tiled PRV's. Irritating. How do I get rid of this?

Check out my work here
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Simple Summary of new PRV work flow problems 2017/11/21 05:50:40 (permalink)
    jkoseattle
    I decided pretty quickly that I don't need multiple PRV's after all. But now... every time I open this project, Sonar thinks I want the two PRV's and opens two of them up tiled vertically. I always close one of them and maximize the multi-dock, as I prefer to work with a maximized PRV. Even though I do this every time, and close the project out and exit Sonar properly, now it always opens with two tiled PRV's. Irritating. How do I get rid of this?

It sounds like you might have a locked screen set or an active lens.
    Check for both of those.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1